The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

:D :D :D :D :D HOTDOG HORVAT :D :D :D :D :D

C1YLRC4VQAANaaI.jpg

Is it me or does that kid look old enough to not put his letters backwards half of the time? And why is it only at the bottom that the characters are backwards?

25 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Is it me or does that kid look old enough to not put his letters backwards half of the time? And why is it only at the bottom that the characters are backwards?

HotdogHorvat was an inside job

#hotdoghorvatconspiracy

On 1/3/2017 at 6:32 PM, Beary Sweet said:

Hope the boys keep up their style of play and stick with the gameplan.  

3-0 Canucks

Bo, Sutter, Baer

GCG!

WHO DA THUNK I'D GET THE SCORERS AND THE SCORE RIGHT lol

The boys played hard last night. Tram played a solid style game. He made a couple solid defensive plays in his own zone and played a crucial poke check that prevented the Yotes from putting ozone pressure. Miller was spectacular. he wasn't tested a whole lot but he stood tall and made saves when he had to. Stecher continues his upward trend, making the simple plays so easy, walking the blue line and always searching for a shooting late. Edler and Tanev continue to lead this team by example. they are the heart of our D core and they are a main reason why we are doing so well. Baer, Bo continue to put the puck in the back of the net and continue to lead the team by example. they are developing rather well and they are only going to get better. the best thing is that they want to be better, just like what MacIntyre mentioned last night during the 2nd period intermission. Eriksson continues to be solid defensively but would love to see him hit the scoresheet consistently. Sedins continue to be invisible with Megna and i hope that they put Eriksson back with them, if not put Rodin in rather than having him watch from the press box. Anyways, hope the boys keep the streak going. GCG!

2 hours ago, Bo fan said:

I have often wondered the same thing when it comes to Bo and Sven - you seldom hear Willie  giving  them much praise for their efforts - not even a "real gud" for the most part. Maybe he's afraid of jinxing it? Maybe he thinks by not saying much they 2 will push harder? It's Willie so who knows?

His comments on Rodin leave one wondering as well - I suspect though that the pressure is on put try Rodin on the Sedin line.

I was watching a Pete Carroll interview on the Seahawks site and Pete is very skillful in his pressers. When asked about any player he always begins with a 'up' statement. A positive, a prop, ie a strong point, what type of effectiveness for the team ("us" "we" need that), and the importance of the players role and what value the player is to the team.  WD doesn't realize his lack of enthusiasm or regard for a players skill set and contribution comes off as that he doesn't have the players back. He shouldn't waffle and be freer with the 'up' statements.

Kind of off topic but I can't wait to see Bo and Virtanen in a playoff series when they both start laying the body on people. Both are big and strong enough to cause some serious pain.

And don't get me started on Tryamkin....when he decides to hit then WATCH OUT! :)

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'd rather us follow the Tampa model.

They were bad for a season, drafted Stamkos, were competitive again, developed Stamkos, were bad again for a season, then drafted Hedman.

Well let's see then...

Bad season, drafted Virtanen.  Competitive again.  Bad season again, drafted Juolevi.

Difference though -- with our competitive season we drafted Boeser B)

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

This might interest you then.

"Within a year, Desjardins’s diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship. What they lacked in size they more than made up for in determination and blistering speed. It’s the same approach Desjardins brings to Vancouver: a relentless, up-tempo, hard-skating, attacking game, and a marked contrast to Tortorella’s plodding, defence-first, puck pressure system."

Don't know if it's his overall gameplay philosophy, but with the Texas Stars he had a very active defense that would initiate and enable the offense.  That would explain the signings of Weber and Bartkowski last year -- reputed skating puckmovers.  With Hutton, Stecher, and Juolevi soon to join the ranks we should continue to see the gameplay evolve into the system WD wants played, as described above and also echoed by management.

15 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

2008 first overall

2009 second overall

by coming in last and secong to last in those draft years. 

This is what i dont understand what are the canucks waiting for. They have some up and coming guys.  If they added a couple top tier picks they have a chance to really turn it around. 

This was the year to tank haters gonna hate but it is reality. And the longer we continue to fool ourselves we can draft 15th overall picks and 2nd third rounders and make them superstars, and be contenders by signing ufa Erikssons were just setting the stage to be mid a mid year team for another 5-10 years until we do.  

There have been tons of draft picks from the 15th round, 2nd or 3rd round etc. that have turned out to become superstars. It is all about drafting the right guy, a player that is going to work hard, a player that wants to be in this league, a player that brings a positive attitude towards himself and his team. Players that are willing to learn and want to become better. Yes, it would be nice to draft a high pick that is skilled, but there is no guarantee that a first overall pick, or high round pick will make a great change to your team.

Edmonton Oilers

Lets look at a team like Edmontons draft picks before they got Connor McDavid 

- Taylor Hall - 1st overall

- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 1st overall

- Nail Yakupov - 1st overall

- Darnell Nurse - 7th overall

- Leon Draisaitl - 3rd overall

One of there best players and best picks was a late round pick,

- Jordan Eberle - 22nd overall

That is a lot of great young players but the team remained at the bottom standings, and it was only until they got a once in a decade player, Connor McDavid for them to get going. Even now, we are only 4 POINTS behind them in the standings. Wouldn't you except a team with that much young talent, skill and now a few veterans (Yes they traded a few of those players, but the still got lots of young talent) to be way ahead of us in the standings..... 

Colorado Avalanche

17 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

1st MacKinnon

2nd Landeskog

3rd Duchene

How's that working out for the Avs?

Here is another example of a team the Colorado Avalanche, they also have gone nowhere...unfortunately....

Calgary flames

Johnny Gaudreau - 104th overall, he is arguably Calgary's best player, and where was he drafted in the 4th round. Here is a player that wanted to become a great player and worked his way into becoming one. None of the Flames first round picks are on his level right now.

I am going to look at 2 noticeable teams that are great and did not draft high round picks

The Current Columbus Blue Jackets

8th Werenski

14th Wennberg

28th Foligno

37th Jenner

43rd Saad

157th Atkinson

How's that working out for the Jackets?

The Columbus Blue Jackets are an amazing team currently, best power play in the league and on to possibly breaking the NHL record in wins today.

Well said by Hutton Wink again!

The 2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings

Lets see where the best players on that team were drafted,

Nick Lidstrom - 53rd overall

Pavel Datsyuk - 171st overall

Henrik Zetterberg - 210th overall

Brian Rafalski - Undrafted

Jiří Hudler - 58th overall

Valtteri Filppula - 95th overall

Dan Cleary - 13th overall (Not even in the top 10)

Tomas Holmström - 257th overall

Mikael Samuelsson - 145th overall

Johan Franzén - 97th overall

Niklas Kronwall - 29th overall

Chris Osgood - 54th overall

Nuff Said

I was at the game last night.

Sbisa looked really good... we gotta find a way to keep this guy or trade him and get full value back... Tryamkin looked good his skating is improving. Hutton looks better on the third pair, top 4 mins is too much for him at the moment. Horvat line looked great as did Sutter. Miller looks really confident right now. 

20 hours ago, Darius71 said:

For me a big part of this team's future success rests on how Boeser and Jake turn out.  Imagine if both those guys, along with Sven and Bo, are all scoring 20+ goals in a couple years.  With this young D, and the addition of Demko and Juolevi, we can be in pretty good shape.  None of this is unreasonable.  They just need a couple guys to pan out as projected.  

Lets not forget Lockwood, Gaudette, Zhukenov and MacKenzie. All 4 seem to be showing well and Lockwood and Zhukenov in particular could be a handful for opposing teams. I'm more and more impressed by Zhukenov's set up qualities, this guy would look great with Stecher on the PP.

20 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ill agree this applies to the Avs, the yotes and the canes.  It's certainly not their for 40-60 minutes against the ducks, the kings, even the leafs.....that's when it's all about our d and either goalie.

Well for a start he can't implement his philosophy entirely imo while we have the Sedins in the team. Great though they have been you could hardly make them part of a team that has the qualities mentioned above.

The team is nowhere near re-built yet and therefore we are not going to win or even play consistently. Hell even the BJs got stopped cold 0-5 by the Caps in their last game and they have been re-building longer than we have. Hopefully we are where the BJs are in now in 2 years.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well for a start he can't implement his philosophy entirely imo while we have the Sedins in the team. Great though they have been you could hardly make them part of a team that has the qualities mentioned above.

The team is nowhere near re-built yet and therefore we are not going to win or even play consistently. Hell even the BJs got stopped cold 0-5 by the Caps in their last game and they have been re-building longer than we have. Hopefully we are where the BJs are in now in 2 years.

I sure hope that the speed game we want to play will indeed "replace" what the twins have provided.  It remains to be seen.  Certainly they are not what they were.  But for a long stretch they were Elite point getters that "slowed the game down" to their style.

its going to be quite a challenge to re construct our team and over all systems when they go.

having said that, our most recent performances by certain forwards have shown great things for the future.

imo Ryan Miller has been the backbone of what has transpired as of late.  And our d are a continuing improvement on what has been an already strong start when healthy.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I sure hope that the speed game we want to play will indeed "replace" what the twins have provided.  It remains to be seen.  Certainly they are not what they were.  But for a long stretch they were Elite point getters that "slowed the game down" to their style.

its going to be quite a challenge to re construct our team and over all systems when they go.

having said that, our most recent performances by certain forwards have shown great things for the future.

imo Ryan Miller has been the backbone of what has transpired as of late.  And our d are a continuing improvement on what has been an already strong start when healthy.

Can't disagree with that.

19 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was watching a Pete Carroll interview on the Seahawks site and Pete is very skillful in his pressers. When asked about any player he always begins with a 'up' statement. A positive, a prop, ie a strong point, what type of effectiveness for the team ("us" "we" need that), and the importance of the players role and what value the player is to the team.  WD doesn't realize his lack of enthusiasm or regard for a players skill set and contribution comes off as that he doesn't have the players back. He shouldn't waffle and be freer with the 'up' statements.

when I used to cut players, I gave them a sandwich........start with something great about their game, then tell them they were re-assigned and give them something to work on, then end with a positive.  

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

when I used to cut players, I gave them a sandwich........start with something great about their game, then tell them they were re-assigned and give them something to work on, then end with a positive.  

True. I think the whole psychology of dealing with high level talent requires abilities above and beyond everyday general interviews. 

Being inclusive with a handshake, eye contact, refreshments, and a sandwich even, 'it's the details' of honouring and respecting the value of each player.

Even when they're being sent down. High paid actors, top tier executives, elite people recognized for their particular skillset. 

The NHL I imagine is pretty high strung across the board but the Head Coach is like the Gandolf of the locker room what he says is law (so to speak).

The players not only listen to WD but also how he delivers his messages. Because hockey careers are on the line here

I recommend watching Coach Carroll for sure..

Archived