The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Oldmanpower said:

Couldn't agree more. There are examples of great players taken throughout the draft. I have stated on many threads around here, we just need to draft better. Sakic,Getzlaf,Perry,blah,blah,blah. Then we need to learn to develope and fit in our own pieces, not worry about what some other organization has done, or is doing. We need to find our own way.

Sakic, Perry and Getzlaf were all found outside of the top 5. Perry was 10, Sakic was 19 and Getzlaf was found somewhere in the 20's. 

Boeser looks like a possible late round steal and could be on our roster as of next year. 

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

This might interest you then.

"Within a year, Desjardins’s diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship. What they lacked in size they more than made up for in determination and blistering speed. It’s the same approach Desjardins brings to Vancouver: a relentless, up-tempo, hard-skating, attacking game, and a marked contrast to Tortorella’s plodding, defence-first, puck pressure system."

And with defensemen like Gudbranson and Tryamkin, a lack in size won't be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sakic, Perry and Getzlaf were all found outside of the top 5. Perry was 10, Sakic was 19 and Getzlaf was found somewhere in the 20's. 

Boeser looks like a possible late round steal and could be on our roster as of next year. 

For me a big part of this team's future success rests on how Boeser and Jake turn out.  Imagine if both those guys, along with Sven and Bo, are all scoring 20+ goals in a couple years.  With this young D, and the addition of Demko and Juolevi, we can be in pretty good shape.  None of this is unreasonable.  They just need a couple guys to pan out as projected.  

This might interest you then.

"Within a year, Desjardins’s diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship. What they lacked in size they more than made up for in determination and blistering speed. It’s the same approach Desjardins brings to Vancouver: a relentless, up-tempo, hard-skating, attacking game, and a marked contrast to Tortorella’s plodding, defence-first, puck pressure system."

Ill agree this applies to the Avs, the yotes and the canes.  It's certainly not their for 40-60 minutes against the ducks, the kings, even the leafs.....that's when it's all about our d and either goalie.

10 hours ago, hearditall said:

Canucks have been Canada’s best NHL team since 1993, but the Habs are the favourite child

It has been 20 years since a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup. In that time, the Canucks have been Canada's most successful team.

They say hockey is a family.

If the NHL was Dad and Canada was Mom, Montreal would be their favourite son. Always doing well on exams. Always bringing home trophies. Always setting the bar so high, none of the siblings could live up to expectations.

Toronto would be the troubled child that doesn’t bother, the one everyone says is not quite living up to expectations. The one who could do better if only he would apply himself.

· Briere ready to put playoff experience to good use for Habs

Montreal would be there smiling for the camera, getting the prettiest girl, then giving Toronto a noogie. Toronto would be all surly, looking into his cellphone, saying nasty things about Montreal on Twitter (but behind a pseudonym that pointed the finger at Boston, that cousin no one likes).

· Running Maple Leafs may be just the start for new hockey president in Toronto: Cox

And it’s about this time of year that Mom and Dad look at Toronto and say: “Okay, enough’s enough. You've let us down once too often. You're grounded. Off to bed early.”

That’s because Mom and Dad want to watch hockey. And Montreal — ever the fair-haired child — is the only one who gets to stay up late.

Vancouver, by the way, is the child that stomps its feet until it gets attention. And why not, because over the past 20 years, the Canucks have won more hockey games than any other Canadian NHL team.

Ottawa can kick and scream all it wants: it’s not getting anyone’s attention. Winnipeg is the prodigal son, back where he belongs and isn't that nice. Calgary and Edmonton are a pair of Irish twins, always fighting with each other, but leaving everybody else alone.

Well the Habs get to stay up late again this year, while the rest of a hockey nation’s brotherhood either pulls for them, cheers against them, or tunes out altogether.

It has been 20 seasons since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup. That was the Montreal Canadiens in 1993.

Four Canadian teams have made it to the Cup final since that Habs win: Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver. Oddly, it is that Cup run that so often marks a decline in the fortunes of a team.

Here's a look at the regular seasons of the Canadian teams that have been around since the Canada's Cup-less era began in 1993-94 season.

CANUCKS

Regular season record since 1993-94: 761 Wins: 1,739 points

Playoff seasons since 1993-94: 13

Playoff wins: 66

The Canucks — the best Canadian team, both in the regular season and the playoffs of the past 20 years — are the team in decline now. They made the Stanley Cup final in 2011, and were within a game of winning the Cup.

· 

As much as I personally hate the habs I think it's important  for a Canadian team to make a run at the Cup. Ergo, if there's a trade that can help both teams ie a Tanev/Edler/Burrows type trade where we can get 'equal' value back (and help with protection issues) we should do the deal with them.

I think everything that needs to be said has been said - won't waste my time or yours rehashing it.

5 wins in a row makes me happy. On to cowtown - wanna blow the flame out!

And unless I have read it wrong I believe we have won as many games in regulation as the Oilers but  have less overtime wins.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd like to see Bo blow past that runt and his wankerous defensive cohorts this weekend. Go Bo!

If this production keeps up, Horvat should be high 80's for his overall rating in the next EA sports NHL, seeing as how I think Johnny is a 90. (And of course, NHL is ultra uber realistic)

6 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

No one else is pumped that Bo has more points and a higher PPG then "johnny hockey" ? 

The little hockey gnome has played 8 or 9 less games than Bo, but that said I would take Bo over him in a 7 game series any day of the week.  Bo doesnt get all the cream puff O zone starts that Johnny boy does, Bo weighs more than 155lbs, and Bo puts up roughly the same points on the road and home whereas johnny needs to be sheltered at home to put up most of his points.  Oh and did I mention bo doesnt get first line PP minutes, and doesnt have a high scoring D to feed him the puck on the rush...yeah...

48 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

The little hockey gnome has played 8 or 9 less games than Bo, but that said I would take Bo over him in a 7 game series any day of the week.  Bo doesnt get all the cream puff O zone starts that Johnny boy does, Bo weighs more than 155lbs, and Bo puts up roughly the same points on the road and home whereas johnny needs to be sheltered at home to put up most of his points.  Oh and did I mention bo doesnt get first line PP minutes, and doesnt have a high scoring D to feed him the puck on the rush...yeah...

I realized after posting this that johnny was hurt for a few games, derp, but no excuses! 

1 hour ago, IbanezRG said:

No one else is pumped that Bo has more points and a higher PPG then "johnny hockey" ? 

Even then Willie doesn't seem "satisfied" from an interview, he's like "meh, he's OK".  I wonder if there's something Willie sees in Horvat that causes him to keep him on the 3rd line instead of letting him loose offensively.

He won't try him as you put it because he is not prepared to tamper with the 2nd and 3rd line chemistry at present and he knows he would not function well on the 4th. As many have said the Twins need a fetcher and carrier who is good on the back check on their line and that is Megna / Hansen because Rodin has not shown these characteristics (yet) in his game.

I think he may be waiting on an injury or a form drop on line 2 or 3 or for Megna to slump and in the mean time Rodin is getting stronger and getting chemistry and learning systems in practice.

Willie seems to like to experiment at the beginning of the season to find lines he likes and now that they seem to be set and functioning well, naturally he is reluctant to change them just to give a player some ice time. Willie likes Rodin and I have no doubt he will get his chance soon but it will be to the benefit of the team.

Yes, lets not try to find a place for the SEL MVP, that would be stupid.

We don't know what we have yet. We do know Megna isn't going to score. We do know Rodin has been very successful as a RW in another pro league.

To not try him with the twins is idiotic, it really is. The theory that there's only one template of player who can have any success with the twins is ridiculous. It may be IDEAL - if you have the right guy, which we don't (or at least haven't found out) - and now is the perfect time to see what we have in Rodin.

Look at it this way - lets say the worst happens and Hansen is shut down for the year. Do you really think the smart play is to never see if Rodin is a fit with them?

57 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Even then Willie doesn't seem "satisfied" from an interview, he's like "meh, he's OK".  I wonder if there's something Willie sees in Horvat that causes him to keep him on the 3rd line instead of letting him loose offensively.

He has been diagnosed with Cody Hodgekins disease.

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yes, lets not try to find a place for the SEL MVP, that would be stupid.

We don't know what we have yet. We do know Megna isn't going to score. We do know Rodin has been very successful as a RW in another pro league.

To not try him with the twins is idiotic, it really is. The theory that there's only one template of player who can have any success with the twins is ridiculous. It may be IDEAL - if you have the right guy, which we don't (or at least haven't found out) - and now is the perfect time to see what we have in Rodin.

Look at it this way - lets say the worst happens and Hansen is shut down for the year. Do you really think the smart play is to never see if Rodin is a fit with them?

And if we don't start learning what we have in Rodin soon, [there is only half a season left], what do we do at the end of the season about signing him?  I am sure there are a lot of European teams and probably some NHL teams that would be interested.  

We need to play him now and give him every opportunity to see what we have, how he works in with the team, especially considering how well he performed in preseason.  Otherwise he will just slip away and why would we allow that to happen,  . . . we need offense!!  Even if we lose one of Megna, Skille, or Caput, so what.  It's not that I am not ok with what they have done, but they are very replaceable, but the potential upside of a Rodin is not.

Just now, Stormriders said:

And if we don't start learning what we have in Rodin soon, [there is only half a season left], what do we do at the end of the season about signing him?  I am sure there are a lot of European teams and probably some NHL teams that would be interested.  

We need to play him now and give him every opportunity to see what we have, how he works in with the team, especially considering how well he performed in preseason.  Otherwise he will just slip away and why would we allow that to happen,  . . . we need offense!!  Even if we lose one of Megna, Skille, or Caput, so what.  It's not that I am not ok with what they have done, but they are very replaceable, but the potential upside of a Rodin is not.

Bingo +1 (sorry all out)

1 hour ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I have often wondered the same thing when it comes to Bo and Sven - you seldom hear Willie  giving  them much praise for their efforts - not even a "real gud" for the most part. Maybe he's afraid of jinxing it? Maybe he thinks by not saying much they 2 will push harder? It's Willie so who knows?

His comments on Rodin leave one wondering as well - I suspect though that the pressure is on put try Rodin on the Sedin line.

3 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Hmmm... last night in the post game interview (was watching from Facebook on the Canucks Live thing)... Willie praised Bo... 

(Not word for word, I'm just typing what I remember) 

Reporter: Do you think Bo is doing well because he's sheltered on the 3rd line

Willie: with 0 hesitation, immediately said Bo is a great player and he'd produce on any given line he's put on 

Bo is playing good enough minutes and utilized well enough if you ask me

Archived