The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

What's great is the style of play he's drafting and acquiring, with even Boucher now as an example.  Aggressive, active forechecking, non-stop motors.  Guys like Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Jasek, Zhukenov, Carcone, LaPlante, all play that way, regardless of their size too.  We're going to not only be a fun team to watch, but one that's easy to cheer for because effort and drive is going to be at a high level.  Just seeing the start of that now.

This might interest you then.

"Within a year, Desjardins’s diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship. What they lacked in size they more than made up for in determination and blistering speed. It’s the same approach Desjardins brings to Vancouver: a relentless, up-tempo, hard-skating, attacking game, and a marked contrast to Tortorella’s plodding, defence-first, puck pressure system."

4 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Sorry im not dilusional.. maybe give me a sip of your idiot koolaid and be impressed we beat the two worst teams and be happy were not rebuilding properly. 

Being a brink playoff team doesnt impress me today tommorow or 5-10 years from now.

Youre right, let's lose the next 10 seasons and pray to Buddha that we get a generational player and not be a terrible team even after acquiring top end talent (Oilers, Avalanche)

You must be the kind of guy that buys 18 Lotto tickets per paycheque 

16 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

This might interest you then.

"Within a year, Desjardins’s diminutive Tigers had clawed their way to a league championship. What they lacked in size they more than made up for in determination and blistering speed. It’s the same approach Desjardins brings to Vancouver: a relentless, up-tempo, hard-skating, attacking game, and a marked contrast to Tortorella’s plodding, defence-first, puck pressure system."

That's kind of strange, I'd like to think the bolded was a pretty good description of what Torts was going for.

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I was watching Megna tonight.  His big asset seems to be his speed.  He gets in on the forecheck, and causes trouble and when the Sedin's get in, the puck is hopefully available to be picked up and cycled.  

Obviously, Hansen does this AND he has some finish too.  Burrows used to but he has lost half a step.

On the other side, they also need somebody who is fast and defensively responsible.

FWIW, Sedin production in the last 4 games with Megna has been 4 points.  Less than one would hope.

FWIW sedin's productions since megna when megna is on the ice with them (last 5 games) is 2 points for Hank and 0 points for Danny.  Megna has 0 points and is a -1.  The sedins points have all came from the PP, not playing with Megna who has a whooping 3 points in his last 23 games.  He gets lots of opportunities but just can't bury.  

5 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Pretty piss poor draft picks for 47 years

It's one thing to be sceptical and not impressed with the current win streak, it another thing to be a complete toolbox and uninformed donkey.

Our drafting has been bad but to say Kesler and Cory were our best draft picks is just dumb......

8 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Tanking got the lemieux, i think that changed their franchise around just a bit

Didn't you say "in today's NHL". Last I knew Lemieux played over 20 years ago. Just saying. And who cares if they beat the 2 worst teams...a wins a win. I'm in Utica, and right now I would take a win against a pee wee team. We've lost 9 in a row. People go to games to see good hockey, and hopefully a win. This isn't friggin Xbox hockey. 

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So tell Horvat to not play hard and hurt his development in the meantime?

No thanks. Right now our young guys (plus our goalies) are carrying us. I'm never going to complain about that.

There are always Larkins and Tarasenko level players at the 15-20 picks. Just gotta make smart picks wherever we pick. You can make a bad pick in the top 5 just the same as 15-20.

Couldn't agree more. There are examples of great players taken throughout the draft. I have stated on many threads around here, we just need to draft better. Sakic,Getzlaf,Perry,blah,blah,blah. Then we need to learn to develope and fit in our own pieces, not worry about what some other organization has done, or is doing. We need to find our own way.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That they didn't turn it around in two drafts. They bounced back and fourth between the Eastern finals and drafting 3rd overall.

The point is there's no perfect formula. And even drafting top 3 three times in 5 years doesn't guarantee you anything.

Proper player development is the only way. And that involves developing foundational players in the meantime until you get those franchise players. That's what we're doing right now.

And a lot of luck...

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Mine isn't exactly and endorsement.  I can see the logic and I agree....it's ok in the short term.

Is that the time line on Hansen?  :(

Its OK, I just like riding oldnews about it :lol: It does bug me that Willie won't even try Rodin.... but oh well. I don't know if Willie is the kind of coach that can stand up to a veteran player and do things with the Sedins they may not want to do initially. When you see a coach like Trotz call out Ovie I wonder if Willie has that in him... but thats a different thread. 

Yah he's out for weeks. Knee on knee stuff is scary. 

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

That's kind of strange, I'd like to think the bolded was a pretty good description of what Torts was going for.

He may have been going for that but in effect it was boring and pretty dull as a spectacle. Of course he had different players at the time and they may not have been up to/for it.

There is no doubt he (and Willie) has had a better reaction from the young players in Columbus and Vancouver

Maybe that is what he meant by "stale" - although Willie did get much better performances out of what was a very similar roster in his first year, so you pay your money and take your choice.

I must admit I am enjoying the meltdown at calgary schmuck . com where they have a 120 page thread dedicated to trashing the canucks and the city of Vancouver. Their latest dilemma is how to explain Sven scoring.  The common line of thought is that Sven is on the worst roster in the league, as a result, he is getting lots of ice time and is scoring because of this.

Maybe they should check the stats.  Sven isnt given the candy arse o zone starts that Monahan or Hockey Gnome are given - and just because a player is on a "bad" team it doesnt mean that he will score.  I put the word "bad" in quotes because this "bad" team is only 3 pts behind the stench dome flames. Sven has a better p/pg than practically anyone on the shames.

I am enjoying the fact that two ex flames have made significant contributions to the Canucks being 3 points behind a team that is supposed to be years ahead in their rebuild.

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its OK, I just like riding oldnews about it :lol: It does bug me that Willie won't even try Rodin.... but oh well. I don't know if Willie is the kind of coach that can stand up to a veteran player and do things with the Sedins they may not want to do initially. When you see a coach like Trotz call out Ovie I wonder if Willie has that in him... but thats a different thread. 

Yah he's out for weeks. Knee on knee stuff is scary. 

He won't try him as you put it because he is not prepared to tamper with the 2nd and 3rd line chemistry at present and he knows he would not function well on the 4th. As many have said the Twins need a fetcher and carrier who is good on the back check on their line and that is Megna / Hansen because Rodin has not shown these characteristics (yet) in his game.

I think he may be waiting on an injury or a form drop on line 2 or 3 or for Megna to slump and in the mean time Rodin is getting stronger and getting chemistry and learning systems in practice.

Willie seems to like to experiment at the beginning of the season to find lines he likes and now that they seem to be set and functioning well, naturally he is reluctant to change them just to give a player some ice time. Willie likes Rodin and I have no doubt he will get his chance soon but it will be to the benefit of the team.

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I must admit I am enjoying the meltdown at calgary schmuck . com where they have a 120 page thread dedicated to trashing the canucks and the city of Vancouver. Their latest dilemma is how to explain Sven scoring.  The common line of thought is that Sven is on the worst roster in the league, as a result, he is getting lots of ice time and is scoring because of this.

Maybe they should check the stats.  Sven isnt given the candy arse o zone starts that Monahan or Hockey Gnome are given - and just because a player is on a "bad" team it doesnt mean that he will score.  I put the word "bad" in quotes because this "bad" team is only 3 pts behind the stench dome flames. Sven has a better p/pg than practically anyone on the shames.

I am enjoying the fact that two ex flames have made significant contributions to the Canucks being 3 points behind a team that is supposed to be years ahead in their rebuild.

And they call it a "good trade"... Where's Shink now?

7 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

They should take notes from CBJ scouts my god they have a lot of young guys stepping up like Horvat

i just looked at their roster - out of their top 5 scorers only sam gagner was a top 10 draft pick - and sam gagner was basically written off by more than one team a few years ago.  It looks like team chemistry and scouting have lots to do with building a good team...this doesnt mesh well with the tank first theory I suppose...

Archived