The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

If our kids take us there then sure, but that's asking for a lot this early.

Would seem more beneficial to have a top 5 pick. Add on to the youth we already have.

Hence why I hope we are sellers. We have the valuable assets and, if done right, trading them would shorten the distance of this rebuild.

Color me surprised at how sneaky-good this team has turned out to be.  I mean just check out the make-up of this roster:

Danny (getting older, washed-up, yada yada) - Hank (ref. Danny) - Megna (who's this guy)
Eriksson (one of few guys with higher hopes, given contract) - Sutter (decent fringe 2nd line C) - Granlund (4th line C to 2nd line winger?!)
Sven (reasonably upward trending) - Bo (great to see him developing) - Rodin (who expected this late-bloomer to not Brunnstrom himself?)
Gaunce (about time he got a chance) - Chaput (plug life turned pleasant surprise) - Skille (ref. Chaput)

// Hansen (nothing bad to say), Burr (ref. Danny), Dorsett (overpaid, etc.)

Eddie, Tanev (established top pair, not much to hate on them)// Stecher (who would've thought 1st pair already as a rookie?)

Hutton (4th round pick turned top-4 D?!  he played well last season too) - Guddy (came in seen as overrated, we'll see)
Sbisa (reclamation project?  more like pleasant surprise this year) - Groot (solid; hitting, skating, putting up points as mystery 3rd round pick)  
// Larsen (neutral view so far, and was given a bit too much PP time when healthy, but will reserve judgement)

Miller (sure, he was brought in to stabilize the crease but he had a rough year along with the team last year)
Marky Mark (from reclamation project and potential bust given his starts last year, to this year a potential #1 starter again?)

It's amazing how with a bit of luck everything they touch can become golden.  Of course some of these pieces are quite good, but I'm not sure people have envisioned them going on a run as they have.  That being said though, I'd agree with 

46 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

We should still offload assets. Rebuild while being competitive , holding onto pieces is still going to push us towards mediocrity, I hope management is thinking about the future of this team.

12 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Canucks 17th in the standings.

bush.jpg

Call off the rebuild, mission accomplished. 

To tell u the truth, I don't disagree on trading Miller, Burrows etc. at trade deadline to improve the future. Look back at what I said in the Summer, This team will compete for a playoff spot but isn't a Cup contender for a few more years. 

I am a realist not a dreamer...

Our current young group + Boeser Juolevi, Lockwood, Gaudette plus future picks & trades will get us there tho.

5 minutes ago, hearditall said:

To tell u the truth, I don't disagree on trading Miller, Burrows etc. at trade deadline to improve the future. Look back at what I said in the Summer, This team will compete for a playoff spot but isn't a Cup contender for a few more years. 

I am a realist not a dreamer...

Our current young group + Boeser Juolevi, Lockwood, Gaudette plus future picks & trades will get us there tho.

This team is building a great supporting cast, but missed the part where they were supposed to draft a superstar or two.  Benning will build a team that can compete for the playoffs, but not one that can win the Cup.  The Toronto's and Edmonton's are going to be whooping teams like us for years to come. 

I am a realist not a dreamer....

If I was a dreamer I would think that Boeser, Demko and others will win us a Cup. 

That 9 game losing streak really killed us earlier in the year but other than a handful of rough patches, we've turned it around for the most part. I've wanted the playoffs too since the summer, but like I've said before I'm fine with whatever happens. I'd rather us keep Miller for now but with how he's playing he can either get us into the playoffs or get us a really solid return at the trade deadline. 

I don't want a complete fire sale and don't expect one either. But if there was one piece that we have to move, it's Miller. 

2nd IMO would be Tanev but he needs to stay healthy to build up his value. 

After that, I would say if Burrows wants to go to Montreal, let's make it happen. Otherwise I'm happy to keep him and give him another year at $2-2.5M, as his leadership/locker room presense is valued.

Hansen is the one I'm really struggling with. He's everything you could want out of a Canuck. But to keep him is to give away Granlund for nothing (Vegas). Do we consider trading Granlund instead? That might be the smart move...

20 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

This team is building a great supporting cast, but missed the part where they were supposed to draft a superstar or two.  Benning will build a team that can compete for the playoffs, but not one that can win the Cup.  The Toronto's and Edmonton's are going to be whooping teams like us for years to come. 

I am a realist not a dreamer....

If I was a dreamer I would think that Boeser, Demko and others will win us a Cup. 

Boeser Demko Horvat Granlund Baer, Juolevi, Virtanen, Markstrom, Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton, Gubranson, Lockwood, Brisbois, Gaudette, Zhukerov, Tanev, Plus many other picks coming can give us a CONTENDER again. 

Takes 20+ warriors playing as a team & some luck...

There is no GURANTEED CUP... LMFAO... If there was there would be 30 winners every year...We were 1 win away from it 5 years ago & twice in the past 20 years. Was Toronto ever in that position in the past 20 years??? 

4 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Boeser Demko Horvat Granlund Baer, Juolevi, Virtanen, Markstrom, Traymakin, Stecher, Hutton, Gubranson, Lockwood, Brisbois, Gaudette, Zhukerov, Tanev, Plus many other picks coming can give us a CONTENDER again. 

There is no GURANTEED CUP... LMFAO... If there was there would be 30 winners every year...We were 1 win away from it 5 years ago & twice in the past 20 years. Was Toronto ever in that position in the past 20 years??? 

1967 is ALOT longer than 20 years ago...

9 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Boeser Demko Horvat Granlund Baer, Juolevi, Virtanen, Markstrom, Tryamkin, Stecher, Hutton, Gubranson, Lockwood, Brisbois, Gaudette, Zhukerov, Tanev, Plus many other picks coming can give us a CONTENDER again. 

No guarantees, just recent history that you can look at how Stanley Cup winners get build under a salary cap. 

Oh wait, Vancouver made the finals a few years ago and Toronto didn't?  I guess that means something in your imagination as far as currently rebuilding goes?

6 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Boeser Demko Horvat Granlund Baer, Juolevi, Virtanen, Markstrom, Traymakin, Stecher, Hutton, Gubranson, Lockwood, Brisbois, Gaudette, Zhukerov, Tanev, Plus many other picks coming can give us a CONTENDER again. 

If one or more of those players turns into a superstar you might have a point. None of them are right now though. And outside of Horvat none of them have showed yet that they can get there. Still, what cup winner in the past 20 years has not had superstars at the top of their lineup?

Contenders need far more offensive production, consistent defense, and strong transition game from their defense than we currently have. A lot of potential bright spots on our young D but not any sure fire superstars in that group yet.

For the forwards, the Sedins just aren't going to cut it as go to guys in the playoffs anymore. Not that they really ever were those take the team on your back for a playoff run types. They struggled with tight checking and frustrating top defensive units in the playoffs even in their glory years. The Canucks need a couple of playoff warrior types that can take over games, score consistently and take the pressure off them. As second line types on a strong contender I bet they would be very effective even still though. By the time any of our players reach that potential ceiling though the Sedins will probably be gone. Unless we somehow acquire or draft one that is a superstar sooner rather than later.

The Canucks still have a long way to go roster-wise to be a playoff threat. Hopefully a big chunk of that comes from the continuing improvement of the young guys. 

4 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

We should still offload assets. Rebuild while being competitive , holding onto pieces is still going to push us towards mediocrity, I hope management is thinking about the future of this team.

Not that I'm against this idea but what assets are you referring to? Miller and Burrows? What do you propose they could fetch? I don't see JB trading them in a tight playoffs run.

Archived