The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

Too funny. Six game winning streak where we were REALLY fortunate to win a couple of them and we have an anti tank post. 

The Canucks have been playing well especially with the d corps stepping up (Sbisa Tryamkin Stetcher, etc).  Add to that that our goalies have bailed us out in some of the games. 

If the team personnel stays as is and hope for development within the system (the young guys getting better and adding in Boeser, Virtanen, Juolevi) and hoping our next 1st rounder pans out, is this a championship calibre team? 

ABSOLUTELY not.

That team after reaching full potential would be at best winning 2 rounds tops (and that's with everything going their way) we need at least 2 more high end draft picks to do damage in the playoffs. 

We will not be getting that by picking 15-20 in the next 2 years. So yeah Aquaman wants playoff revenue which he will get by going this course. However the city will not have a cup. 

The Sedins glory years were great but I would trade all those amazing seasons for 1 cup. 

Yeah because last night #45 had 3 shift in first 6 minutes..yes he scored but he also the one who left his man in front of net for first Flames goal.  Magna continues to play with Sedins but Rodin gets 4th line minutes?...shots 46-14?.... We winning but not because WD/coaching.  goaltending and some lucky bounces.

WD IS NOT the reason we in the hunt....the PLUGS JB brought in are NOT the reason we in the HUNT....again it goaltending and some lucky bounces.

We a bottom 10 team in reality..and I ok with that..we sneaking into the playoffs..GREAT....but we rebuilding so,please no more sugar coating how good this team is guys,please.

9 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

Yeah because last night #45 had 3 shift in first 6 minutes..yes he scored but he also the one who left his man in front of net for first Flames goal.  Magna continues to play with Sedins but Rodin gets 4th line minutes?...shots 46-14?.... We winning but not because WD/coaching.  goaltending and some lucky bounces.

WD IS NOT the reason we in the hunt....the PLUGS JB brought in are NOT the reason we in the HUNT....again it goaltending and some lucky bounces.

We a bottom 10 team in reality..and I ok with that..we sneaking into the playoffs..GREAT....but we rebuilding so,please no more sugar coating how good this team is guys,please.

Your English is awful but you make some great points. Lol 

I think connecting a tanker to someone who's not a fan isn't really fair. It is entirely possible for a tanker to be a fan (whatever that means).

Tanking to me is just a philosophical perspective on what the Canucks should do to get better. It is a collection of ideas based mostly upon speculation and projection as to what the best course for the Canucks is moving forward in order to compete for the Stanley Cup.

Rebuild on the fly, retooling, 'insert label here' is also perspective, from a different position.

Neither group is 'right', or 'truthful'... in the case of speculation and projection one might be more reasoned, but again this is merely a perspective of how one should approach a problem or situation at hand.

I watch hockey mostly from the 'what is happening right now in front of me' perspective first. Then as a fan interested in watching a team that can challenge for the cup I think up strategies to pass along to Jim Benning and Trevor Linden that will help them achieve that task.

Sport is a soap opera or reality TV show of a different sort. Hence the addiction.

For me, the truth with this team is that they have been pretty solid and mostly entertaining.

They lack 2-3 scorers to be in the top ten of the league, and I trust that Jim Benning and Trevor Linden are working toward that.

58 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Learned what? That moving an expiring asset for little to no return makes sense because muh asset management? Trading someone just for the sake of trading them isn't smart, it makes you a fool.

Not to point out the obvious but trading Miller for a first round pick when he could sign somewhere else  doesn't make you a fool and certainly isn't making a trade just for hell of it.

No-one has said that the rebuild is complete. Very few consider us to be contenders. The point of the thread is that we are not as bad as some stated.

Funny how the tank crowd have to twist things to justify a stupid position. Players will never intentionally lose. That could cost players their careers and diminish their value as players. They complain about players they hate being used in a position where a player they love could be. The reasoning is that it could make us better; counter to the tanking philosophy. It becomes apparent after their narratives continue to change that they are whiners who will whine no matter what. ex.(Sedins are too slow and are a defensive liability; Megna helps with that so they now have to whine about offense and their slow Sedins rhetoric is nowhere to be seen) Pathetic whiners!

We are trying to further our players progression into the bigs by playing in a competitive environment. Contrary to idiotic opinions, that doesn't mean that we are trying to "win now". The "competitive environment" is a reference to not only competing for a playoff spot at the end of the season, but to internal competition. Gifting spots to players just to see what we have doesn't fit with that model.

This 6 game win streak does not change anything. The end goal and the methodology will be the same. Knee-jerk reactionaries will continue to nit-pick and look for anything that they can twist to suit their whiny natures.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Not to point out the obvious but trading Miller for a first round pick when he could sign somewhere else  doesn't make you a fool and certainly isn't making a trade just for hell of it.

Except you specifically mentioned 'learning from Hamhuis and Vrbata' where those kinds of returns most certainly weren't offered. Do you move Miller for a first? Sure. But don't confuse the two situations because they aren't the same.

9 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Not that I'm against this idea but what assets are you referring to? Miller and Burrows? What do you propose they could fetch? I don't see JB trading them in a tight playoffs run.

Depending on how miller keeps playing I could see maybe a second and a decent prospect, burr maybe a third rounder/ maybe some team will bite for a second. The pieces I feel that we should look into moving and will garner the most interest are tanev, edler, Sbisa, Hansen .

2 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Calling it now....you'll whine no matter what.

I am not whining I could care less at this point. Just find it funny. But please, do go on how a team out shot 45 to 13 will make a drive for the playoffs. 

11 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

This team is building a great supporting cast, but missed the part where they were supposed to draft a superstar or two.  Benning will build a team that can compete for the playoffs, but not one that can win the Cup.  The Toronto's and Edmonton's are going to be whooping teams like us for years to come. 

I am a realist not a dreamer....

If I was a dreamer I would think that Boeser, Demko and others will win us a Cup. 

Your opinion doesn't make you a realist..

lets say say we drafted first in a year and got someone like Yakupov/RNH is that really a superstar calibre player that's gonna change the fortunes of our franchise?

Tanking is not even close to being a reliable way to acquire elite talent.

Also doesn't make sense to build the supporting cast first, goalies and defence take the longest to get right, truly elite offensive talent can be slotted in last. 

Lastly, elite talent is not just in the top3 picks. Tarasenko, Karlsson, Giroux, Kopitar, Perry etc were all taken after 10

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Tell us what was Benning supposed to do differently. Hammer dragged his feet, would only consider 2 teams. Dallas moved on. There is nothing any GM could have done differently when a guy with a NTC doesn't want to go.

Make a decision earlier, be proactive not reactive and ask earlier, start doing his job earlier than waiting until the last few days before the TDL. Obviously he didn't know Hamhuis very well.

13 minutes ago, logic said:

Your opinion doesn't make you a realist..

lets say say we drafted first in a year and got someone like Yakupov/RNH is that really a superstar calibre player that's gonna change the fortunes of our franchise?

Tanking is not even close to being a reliable way to acquire elite talent.

Also doesn't make sense to build the supporting cast first, goalies and defence take the longest to get right, truly elite offensive talent can be slotted in last. 

Lastly, elite talent is not just in the top3 picks. Tarasenko, Karlsson, Giroux, Kopitar, Perry etc were all taken after 10

True but I can't say I wouldn't want a McDavid. There can be reasons why elite talent drops (Size, Injury, Obscure league, etc.) I think if we can get a first line caliber center we'll be fine.

It will be nice to have Boeser and possibly Juolevi next year. Demko the year after. I still think it's going to take at least 3 seasons after this one until we are competitive (20-21). 

There is a future to look forward to but more needs to be done if we want to win a cup.

Another thing I despise about the pathetic whiners is the constant hypocrisy. ex.(When we outplay an opponent and lose- a loss is a loss. When we are outplayed and win- we were lucky to win.)  Pathetic whiners will always find something to whine about even if they have to make stuff up.

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I haven't posted anything on CDC for quite some time, but I had to respond to yours because you nailed what has been on my mind since JB & Co started changing our team...

What JB has done in his short time here is just short of remarkable, in my opinion; I mean, look at our back end! I've been able to see his vision since the beginning, with signing guys to short term contracts as stop gaps and mentors  (having their salaries coming off the books at the right times) to taking some well-calculated gambles on players like Vey, Etem, Granny and Baer, which JB is 50% on and looks to have fleeced Calgary on two trades. So what if Vey and Etem didn't work out. Show me a team that hits a home run with every move. Reality does not work that way. I much prefer having a GM that does take some calculated risks rather than doing absolutely nothing.

There is it -- not hindsight either, but simply LISTENING to what they say, and watching what they do to understand what's going on.  The plan hasn't changed at all, there's no "mixed messages".  It's not a simple one-dimensional (e.g. tank/all-in) plan but multi-layered and continues to move forward.  The rubble is still being cleared but the foundations are being set and framework going up, from which the gaps and details will be filled in.

...and do post more often :)

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

This isn't the stock market, where you try to wring every last penny out of every single asset.  What did the Bruins get for Eriksson, the Islanders for Okposo, the Kings for Lucic?

If the Canucks are still in the playoff hunt it makes no sense to trade Miller unless they get a very capable goalie in return.  Otherwise you're basically shooting yourself in the foot, which is non-sensical and the antithesis of sports itself.  Hey, that move took us out of playoff contention... oh but look, we got a lotto ticket!  :unsure:

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Make a decision earlier, be proactive not reactive and ask earlier, start doing his job earlier than waiting until the last few days before the TDL. Obviously he didn't know Hamhuis very well.

Hamhuis suffered a very serious injury and was still recovering.  His value at that point would have been very problematic.  Other teams were well-aware that he was on an expiring contract and that the Canucks had fallen out of the race.  If he was someone they really wanted they would have retained his as an option.

5 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

For a self-proclaimed "real fan" you dont seem to know a lot about the history of the Canucks.

SORRY meant 1982...... Still got the Province Paper of the Team Pic....

What history do U wanna talk about??? LET's GO.....?

15 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

C'mon this is Vancouver we are talking about. Would you honestly be surprised if that actually happened? I sure as hell wouldn't be. 

JB is not adding anything that won't help the future of this team. If u follow what he says & is doing U could see that too....

FWIW, Canuck playoff odds a week ago were around 8-9%, today they're at 19.5% and Calgary at 50%.  If the Canucks beat the Flames tonight in OT or shootout, they would have identical W/L records in identical GP, so those odds would dramatically converge.  A regulation win puts them ahead in both points and winning%.

Doesn't take much to make a swing, but the key is to remain close and in the race, otherwise it's too hard to catch up with all the loser points being available with games becoming tighter.

Everyone here is a real fan. We wouldn't be here otherwise. Some have different philosophies about team direction but it's all in hopes to have a great team weather it's tanking, something in the middle or believing Benning is on the right track

I think management is terrible but that doesn't erase my support of the team since the 70's and anyone claiming otherwise is being an arrogant turd. 

Archived