The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Teams Inquiring About F Alex Burrows

hiebskey

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

What?  They do?  I thought it was guys like: Toews, Kane, Crosby, and goalies (you know, the star players) who win the Conn Smythe.

Raffi Torres says hello.   No seriously, he just called me and told me to say hello to you.  So what are we talking about here?  Oh ... yeah, usually stars win the Conn Smythe.

15 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Burrows could be one of a potential Conn Smythe candidate as a proven playoff performer so make this a conditional... if he wins that trophy, it becomes a 1st.   With the way he is playing this year, he is a candidate if he is on any playoff team.   Historically, the grinder who is a unsung hero tend to win Conn Smythe trophy.

41 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Claude Lemieux comes to a mind.  He was not a skilled player but he was a playoff performer that scored timely goals.    Burrows had a knack of scoring timely goals for us.  

Ok... so one example does not mean they "tend to win". I'll give you help though, Justin Williams in 2013-14. Still doesn't change much. 

It means that it is possible, but those that "tend to win" historically are stars or goalies:

1995-96 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche
1996-97 Mike Vernon Detroit Red Wings
1997-98 Steve Yzerman Detroit Red Wings
1998-99 Joe Nieuwendyk Dallas Stars
1999-00 Scott Stevens New Jersey Devils
2000-01 Patrick Roy Colorado Avalanche
2001-02 Nicklas Lidstrom Detroit Red Wings
2002-03 Jean-Sebastien Giguere Anaheim Mighty Ducks
2003-04 Brad Richards Tampa Bay Lightning
2005-06 Cam Ward Carolina Hurricanes
2006-07 Scott Niedermayer Anaheim Ducks
2007-08 Henrik Zetterberg Detroit Red Wings
2008-09 Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh Penguins
2009-10 Jonathan Toews Chicago Blackhawks
2010-11 Tim Thomas Boston Bruins
2011-12 Jonathan Quick Los Angeles Kings
2012-13 Patrick Kane Chicago Blackhawks
2013-14 Justin Williams Los Angeles Kings
2014-15 Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks
2015-16 Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins

In the last 20 years, Williams is the only one that would fit your description, the other 19 fit mine.

You might argue that I stopped the year before Claude Lemieux won, so I give you another 11 years (after that we get into a name or two I don't want to research)

1983-84 Mark Messier Edmonton Oilers
1984-85 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers
1985-86 Patrick Roy Montreal Canadiens
1986-87 Ron Hextall Philadelphia Flyers
1987-88 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers
1988-89 Al MacInnis Calgary Flames
1989-90 Bill Ranford Edmonton Oilers
1990-91 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins
1991-92 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins
1992-93 Patrick Roy Montreal Canadiens
1993-94 Brian Leetch New York Rangers
1994-95 Claude Lemieux New Jersey Devils

In these 11 years, 1 fits your description, 10 fit mine. In total, the last 31 years, 2 have been grinder unsung hero types, while 29 have been one of the star players or the goalie.

Sucks when 1 google search destroys the argument you made off the top of your hat, maybe start with that next time.

1 minute ago, Tower102 said:

Ok... so one example does not mean they "tend to win". I'll give you help though, Justin Williams in 2013-14. Still doesn't change much. 

It means that it is possible, but those that "tend to win" historically are stars or goalies:

1995-96 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche
1996-97 Mike Vernon Detroit Red Wings
1997-98 Steve Yzerman Detroit Red Wings
1998-99 Joe Nieuwendyk Dallas Stars
1999-00 Scott Stevens New Jersey Devils
2000-01 Patrick Roy Colorado Avalanche
2001-02 Nicklas Lidstrom Detroit Red Wings
2002-03 Jean-Sebastien Giguere Anaheim Mighty Ducks
2003-04 Brad Richards Tampa Bay Lightning
2005-06 Cam Ward Carolina Hurricanes
2006-07 Scott Niedermayer Anaheim Ducks
2007-08 Henrik Zetterberg Detroit Red Wings
2008-09 Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh Penguins
2009-10 Jonathan Toews Chicago Blackhawks
2010-11 Tim Thomas Boston Bruins
2011-12 Jonathan Quick Los Angeles Kings
2012-13 Patrick Kane Chicago Blackhawks
2013-14 Justin Williams Los Angeles Kings
2014-15 Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks
2015-16 Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins

In the last 20 years, Williams is the only one that would fit your description, the other 19 fit mine.

You might argue that I stopped the year before Claude Lemieux won, so I give you another 11 years (after that we get into a name or two I don't want to research)

1983-84 Mark Messier Edmonton Oilers
1984-85 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers
1985-86 Patrick Roy Montreal Canadiens
1986-87 Ron Hextall Philadelphia Flyers
1987-88 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers
1988-89 Al MacInnis Calgary Flames
1989-90 Bill Ranford Edmonton Oilers
1990-91 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins
1991-92 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins
1992-93 Patrick Roy Montreal Canadiens
1993-94 Brian Leetch New York Rangers
1994-95 Claude Lemieux New Jersey Devils

In these 11 years, 1 fits your description, 10 fit mine. In total, the last 31 years, 2 have been grinder unsung hero types, while 29 have been one of the star players or the goalie.

Sucks when 1 google search destroys the argument you made off the top of your hat, maybe start with that next time.

So if Burr wins, 2 firsts?

1 minute ago, Vicky said:

So if Burr wins, 2 firsts?

His original statement of wanting a 2nd to be turned into a 1st if Burrows wins the Conn Smythe is fine and smart. Both teams would make that bet likely. He should have just stopped there rather than adding a fictional statement after.

Just now, Tower102 said:

His original statement of wanting a 2nd to be turned into a 1st if Burrows wins the Conn Smythe is fine and smart. Both teams would make that bet likely. He should have just stopped there rather than adding a fictional statement after.

Yeah - just being cheeky

On Thursday, February 09, 2017 at 2:23 PM, stawns said:

You keep lobbing them up, I'll keep smacking them out of the park.

All kidding aside, I don't disagree that it was a bit of a missed opportunity, but it isn't one that had much overall effect in the long run though.  

A potential 1st or even the 2nd calgary got from Dallas were both very very good picks and capable of helping with out prospect pool and thus helping in the long term affect. Especially when a draft is/was ever so deep as last year's.  All if this for an asset we were about to lose and team management had already deemed to move on from. Now we have nothing to show.....thus not contributing to the long term plan of the team.

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

A potential 1st or even the 2nd calgary got from Dallas were both very very good picks and capable of helping with out prospect pool and thus helping in the long term affect. Especially when a draft is/was ever so deep as last year's.  All if this for an asset we were about to lose and team management had already deemed to move on from. Now we have nothing to show.....thus not contributing to the long term plan of the team.

you can't force a team to make a trade, it takes two willing parties.  

6 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Galcheyuk is said/rumoured to be available.....

Source? I follow the Habs very closely and I've NEVER heard a whisper of him being available. The kid is a former 3rd overall pick that was a point a game before getting injured this season. I'd be amazed if Montreal was entertaining offers on him. Especially when they're thin on top 6 Centers. I call BS 

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Galcheyuk is said/rumoured to be available.....

Yeah anyone is always available for the right price. In this case Galchenyuk is available for Horvat plus this years first plus Juolevi ect. Not a single scenario where the return includes Burrows and Pedan. 

11 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Yeah anyone is always available for the right price. In this case Galchenyuk is available for Horvat plus this years first plus Juolevi ect. Not a single scenario where the return includes Burrows and Pedan. 

There's absolutely zero, actually less than zero chance Burrows and Pedan for Galchenyuk happens. Even then I think Bettman would come in and shoot it down knowing how bad Bergevin would be getting screwed there. 

On 2/8/2017 at 10:32 PM, missioncanucksfan said:

Mtl has 2 2nd picks this year and next. Although both are theirs and Washington picks....but ya....they can afford it. 

I would go with the higher of the two picks in 2018 because of the rumored quality of this year's draft.  If Anaheim comes calling for Burrows, I would ask for one of their promising young prospects.

13 hours ago, Pears said:

There's absolutely zero, actually less than zero chance Burrows and Pedan for Galchenyuk happens. Even then I think Bettman would come in and shoot it down knowing how bad Bergevin would be getting screwed there. 

Haha exactly. Galchenyuk isn't going to be traded unless its a huge overpayment anyways. Montreal is in their winning window with Price and Webber. They aren't going to want to part with a top 6 center unless they are getting a comparable center back or the overpayment is so huge they can't say no. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Burr and Hutton for Madison Bowey and a 3rd!

I would pass if I'm Washington. Ya 1040 was suggesting Hansen to Wash with injury to Burchovski but Caps got depth within plus Connolly and Wilson are providing great depth , but Oshie is a UFA and will walk and Hansen might offset that loss 

Imo, Bowey will equal Hutton level eventually so it would be a lateral move at the expense of losing a pick in Regards to the Burr/Hutton proposal

Archived