The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Teams Inquiring About F Alex Burrows

hiebskey

13 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I would pass if I'm Washington. Ya 1040 was suggesting Hansen to Wash with injury to Burchovski but Caps got depth within plus Connolly and Wilson are providing great depth , but Oshie is a UFA and will walk and Hansen might offset that loss 

Imo, Bowey will equal Hutton level eventually so it would be a lateral move at the expense of losing a pick in Regards to the Burr/Hutton proposal

moving Hutton does not solve the issue of exposing a quality d-man to Vegas. Edler-Tanev-Sbisa and Guddy are all eligble. One has to go for forward assets.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

moving Hutton does not solve the issue of exposing a quality d-man to Vegas. Edler-Tanev-Sbisa and Guddy are all eligble. One has to go for forward assets.  

Good luck... I'm sure that teams want to pay huge to get a player they either have to protect or that they lose.

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If that trade happened I'd wet myself 

Bowen is a stud.  Watched him with the Rockets for a few seasons

me too, he would be amazing if he develops into the player he could be.  He was a league above everyone else in kelowna........he and Draisatl were in a totally different realm

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Good luck... I'm sure that teams want to pay huge to get a player they either have to protect or that they lose.

Depends on the team and their situation. Are they trying to win a cup? Is it a team with lots of quality fowards but a lack of D worth protecting?

Arizona for example could easily take on a D and a forward and only have to expose very mediocre players. Net gain. 

If a team can improve, they will.  Especially as the ED will likely provide a discount of sorts in the trade costs. 

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Depends on the team and their situation. Are they trying to win a cup? Is it a team with lots of quality fowards but a lack of D worth protecting?

Arizona for example could easily take on a D and a forward and only have to expose very mediocre players. Net gain. 

If a team can improve, they will.  Especially as the ED will likely provide a discount of sorts in the trade costs. 

Why would the 29th place team in the league want to load up on aging players while loosing picks?

And even if a team is going on a cup run they're not going to want to spend anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick on a player that they'll loose in 3 months anyways or have to loose an additional player at that time due to protecting the newly acquired player. To me I don't see ANY player besides Horvat on the Canucks roster that is worth doing that for. Teams may be willing to aquire burrows, Miller, Edler, Hansen or Sbisa but the fact of the matter is that aging mediocre veterans aren't going to get traded for anything better than a 3rd with an upcoming expansion draft. 

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Why would the 29th place team in the league want to load up on aging players while loosing picks?

And even if a team is going on a cup run they're not going to want to spend anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick on a player that they'll loose in 3 months anyways or have to loose an additional player at that time due to protecting the newly acquired player. To me I don't see ANY player besides Horvat on the Canucks roster that is worth doing that for. Teams may be willing to aquire burrows, Miller, Edler, Hansen or Sbisa but the fact of the matter is that aging mediocre veterans aren't going to get traded for anything better than a 3rd with an upcoming expansion draft. 

Who said ARZ would be losing picks? Tanev would fit quite nicely in their D core FWIW. Solid, young-veteran to help shelter and mentor their largely young D and fill their massive hole on the right side.

If a team thinks they can win a cup it's no different than any other rental they'd lose in the summer which they frequently pay more for than a 3rd or 4th for the right player. 

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Do you not watch what happens are trade deadline every year?  Rental players are constantly moved for way more than 3rd and 4th round picks.

Last year alone; Staal, Russell, Stempniak, Winnik, Hudler, Weise, Ladd, and Polak were all moved for 2nd round picks and higher.  All those players played less than 22 games with the teams they got traded too.  Every team knew they these players were rentals, they knew they'd were only going to be with the team for 3 months and then loose them for nothing.  

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you not watch what happens are trade deadline every year?  Rental players are constantly moved for way more than 3rd and 4th round picks.

Last year alone; Staal, Russell, Stempniak, Winnik, Hudler, Weise, Ladd, and Polak were all moved for 2nd round picks and higher.  All those players played less than 22 games with the teams they got traded too.  Every team knew they these players were rentals, they knew they'd were only going to be with the team for 3 months and then loose them for nothing.  

And in JB's two TDLs with us, what has he returned?  Why is this TDL different?

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

And in JB's two TDLs with us, what has he returned?  Why is this TDL different?

Just because JB didn't make TDL deals in his first two years doesn't mean that he won't do the same in the future.  He is on record as saying that he tried to move players (Vrbata and Hamhuis) last year but there was no reasonable market.  

What is different this year wrt the Canucks?  Different players on expiring contracts this year.  Different teams in the market, with different needs.  Miller, Burrows, Skille, Megna and Larsen are all UFA's

Who are the partner's?  Montreal had scouts at the Buffalo game tonight.  I doubt they're looking for a goalie.  

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

So after Burr's performance tonight is getting a 2nd for him possible? Like it certainly isn't completely unrealistic.

Perhaps. Montreal would maybe give up a late 2nd, or conditional based on if they make it to the Eastern Conference finals (otherwise it becomes a 3rd). Something along those lines. 

I see Burrows as a "Smyth" or "Weight" type of player who gets traded at the deadline to a contending team and re-signs with the Canucks in the off-season.

Burrows was supposed to be a career 4th liner anyways. He has had a far better career than predicted. Burrows still has the winning fire in him as we've seen this weekend. If Burrows is still as humble as he has always been regarding his use on a team, then he could play effectively for the anyone for a long time as a veteran.

I would be glad to see him traded for futures and then re-sign Burrows to a yearly contract.

Torts' favorite reporter pens the idea of reuniting Burrows and AV. He says "a third probably won't get it done". I agree, I think Burrows has 2nd round pick value. 

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/nhl-pest-who-would-make-sense-as-a-rangers-trade-rental/

For the longest time now, it has seemed as if the Rangers and Alain Vigneault had seven top-six forwards at their disposal, with the coach deciding between rookies Pavel Buchnevich and Jimmy Vesey for the spot on the left side of the second unit.

But as the long and winding season has worn on, the kids appear to have worn down due to a sheer lack of physical strength as opposed to any issues related to talent or work ethic. The Rangers have two very good young ones here, but neither may be ready for a lead position for the grind of a long playoff run.

So what if, in actuality, the Blueshirts only have five legitimate top-six forwards as they approach the tournament as a Stanley Cup hopeful whose chances may depend on their draw?

Well, March 1, that’s what.

Look, the Rangers’ primary need heading into the trade deadline remains that elusive, upper-echelon top-pair right defenseman they’ve lacked since wear turned Dan Girardi into a D more suited to sheltering than matchup duty alongside Ryan McDonagh. But we’ve been through this before. The likelihood of general manager Jeff Gorton threading that needle in a haystack over the next 13 days without depleting the club’s signature depth up front is nil.

But acquiring — or more specifically, renting a winger — is a much more realistic assignment should the general manager choose to accept it.

Just so there is no confusion: Of course J.T. Miller qualifies as a top-six forward who easily could slide into one of the Rangers’ top-two lines, but that would create a significant void on the third unit, where Miller, Kevin Hayes and Michael Grabner have unique chemistry.

So Miller stays where he is, leaving the relatively interchangeable top five of Rick Nash, Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, Mats Zuccarello and Mika Zibanejad in need of a complementary sixth for the playoffs who doesn’t necessarily require the pedigree of a 40-goal man but preferably would bring some jam with him to a team that leans a little too heavily to the finesse side of the equation.

Thursday night’s Belmont Stakes in Brooklyn against the Islanders, for which Buchnevich was a healthy scratch after having his ice time dwindle over the last week, will provide a good test for the Rangers, who almost always absorb physical punishment from their neighbors.

The Blueshirts are talented and resolute enough to win regularly when they get the goaltending they expect from Henrik Lundqvist. There is no doubt about it. This is a nice team.

But nice hockey gets you only so far in the playoffs, and so does tic-tac-toe hockey that is dependent on time and space. If Gorton is going to rent a top-six, better the GM find an abrasive personality than a pure-skill winger.

Which brings us to the semi-notorious Alexandre Burrows, the soon-to-be 35-year-old who spent much of his career in Vancouver playing with and riding shotgun for the Sedins (Henrik and Daniel) while Vigneault was behind the bench. This season, he most often has played with talented young studs Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi.

Burrows once bit off more than he could chew in a seven-game defeat to a less talented Bruins team in the 2011 final in which the Canucks were strangely muted over the final five games. It should serve the coach as a reminder sandpaper is an essential ingredient for a championship.

The winger, who has 20 points (9-11) off a four-point weekend that featured a throwback dustup with Buffalo goaltender Robin Lehner, has a no-trade clause. It is not known whether the impending free agent would waive it to come to New York after 12 years in Vancouver, but its existence prevents the Canucks from holding a full-scale auction for him. Thus, the price shouldn’t be exorbitant.

What does that mean? Good question, but the Rangers are going to have to give up something. A third-rounder probably wouldn’t get it done. One of their seconds next year, when they also own Ottawa’s No. 2? Oscar Lindberg, if the Blueshirts believe that Marek Hrivik could center the fourth line off his impressive 16-game audition earlier this winter?

Would that be too much to fill a pothole that might not have existed a few weeks ago but realistically needs to be filled if the underdog Rangers are going to travel the long road of the playoffs?

Probably not.

Archived