The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBER coming to Vancouver ?

kingofsurrey

The Taxi Business will be VERY upset with todays announcement.

One of the biggest changes: An end to the rationing of taxi licenses.

There will be no limitation on taxi licenses,” says Fassbender. “We’ll be working with local governments as we move forward to ensure it is an open and competitive market, and that they have the opportunity to be able to add additional vehicles if that business decision is one they wish to make.”

Taxis will also be able to pick up and drop off customers anywhere, regardless of municipal boundaries, and will have the exclusive right to street hailing.

The province will also put $1-million into helping create an app that allows the taxi sector to share dispatching and allow customers to hail a ride and pay for it in a similar fashion to ride-sharing.

That means licenses that are valued at $1 million dollar today will fall very to low values soon.

Expect huge protests by taxi owners and drivers.  

Great, more competition is always good.

I find it hilarious that cab drivers are complaining that they shouldn't have competition. What other industry is so lucky? Who among us isn't vulnerable to a competitive business or service at some point during our work lives? It would be like contractors complaining about allowing a Home Depot to move in to town. 

From Vision Vancouver Geoff Meggs:

While many Vancouverites took to social media to celebrate the move, at city hall the official reaction wasn’t so jubilant.

Vancouver Councillor Geoff Meggs says he isn’t buying into the government’s framing of today’s ride-sharing announcement as creating a “level playing field for BC’s taxi industry.”

Meggs says the provincial government missed an opportunity to “get the best of both worlds ” despite the government using the same line on incorporating technology and being fair to cabbies.

This announcement was called investing in the taxi industry, it’s actually wiping out taxi industry investment to make it possible for this corporation and others to come in and skim a lot of money out of our marketplace.”

Meggs says his primary concerns are around surge pricings and reports over rider safety.

Not surprising when Vision Party get big donations from the taxi industry.

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

The Taxi Business will be VERY upset with todays announcement.

That means licenses that are value at $1 million dollar today will fall very to low values soon.

If I was a young person looking to get into the transportation industry for some extra dough this is great news. Cab drivers in Vancouver are awful, often rude and you wonder sometimes if you're going to get home in one piece. I'd rather pay a university student to drive me home from a bar than get into a greasy cab. 

from 1130 News:

Vancouver taxi industry to fight announcement

The Vancouver Taxi Association is livid with the province’s announcement and is promising to fight it any way it can.

The group’s Carolyn Bauer says countless taxi drivers have gone into what she describes as enormous debt by purchasing an operating licence and they will have no way to pay it back under the new framework.

“We are not opposed to changes to meet the public’s interest but… the government has completely ignored our interests and we will use every available legal and political means available to us to fight this unfair government initiative.”

More than 80 per cent of delegates at the BC Liberal convention last fall supported the creation of ride-sharing legislation.

However, the City of Vancouver has placed a moratorium on new cabs and Uber until this October, with some councillors voicing concerns about passenger safety and protecting the local taxi industry.

Vancouver City Councillor Geoff Meggs isn’t impressed with today’s announcement, saying it doesn’t deal with many of the concerns that ride-hailing raised in other cities like removing municipal boundaries. “Ride-sharing vehicles will go where the business is, saying the Granville Entertainment District, and you’ll never get a car in the outlying areas. Uber won’t even offer its services in towns under 30,000.”

He also wonders if “surge pricing” will mean it costs more to catch a car on a rainy day than on a clear day.

Boards of Trade welcome ride-hailing to BC

The Greater Vancouver Board of Trade is happy with the move.

“Today’s announcement is a meaningful step forward for the future of mobility in our region,” says President and CEO Iain Black. “Businesses, residents, and visitors across the Lower Mainland have made it clear that they want more choice and more innovation in their transportation options. We’re encouraged to see this issue moving forward with immediate, meaningful steps.”

He adds his board has been advocating for this ride-hailing in BC for two years.

Meantime, the Surrey Board of Trade says it’s glad the province is taking steps to move forward with its plan.

3 hours ago, inane said:

There we go--Uber and other ride share companies coming to Vancouver this December.

Thank god...it was about freaking time. Almost all the cities in the world had Uber except Vancouver. Hopefully Uber, Grab, Easy Taxi etc. come to Vancouver soon so we could have the convenience of getting a ride at 3 am and not waiting for 2 hours for a damn cab to come.

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

from 1130 News:

Vancouver taxi industry to fight announcement

Spoiler

The Vancouver Taxi Association is livid with the province’s announcement and is promising to fight it any way it can.

The group’s Carolyn Bauer says countless taxi drivers have gone into what she describes as enormous debt by purchasing an operating licence and they will have no way to pay it back under the new framework.

“We are not opposed to changes to meet the public’s interest but… the government has completely ignored our interests and we will use every available legal and political means available to us to fight this unfair government initiative.”

More than 80 per cent of delegates at the BC Liberal convention last fall supported the creation of ride-sharing legislation.

However, the City of Vancouver has placed a moratorium on new cabs and Uber until this October, with some councillors voicing concerns about passenger safety and protecting the local taxi industry.

Vancouver City Councillor Geoff Meggs isn’t impressed with today’s announcement, saying it doesn’t deal with many of the concerns that ride-hailing raised in other cities like removing municipal boundaries. “Ride-sharing vehicles will go where the business is, saying the Granville Entertainment District, and you’ll never get a car in the outlying areas. Uber won’t even offer its services in towns under 30,000.”

He also wonders if “surge pricing” will mean it costs more to catch a car on a rainy day than on a clear day.

Boards of Trade welcome ride-hailing to BC

The Greater Vancouver Board of Trade is happy with the move.

“Today’s announcement is a meaningful step forward for the future of mobility in our region,” says President and CEO Iain Black. “Businesses, residents, and visitors across the Lower Mainland have made it clear that they want more choice and more innovation in their transportation options. We’re encouraged to see this issue moving forward with immediate, meaningful steps.”

He adds his board has been advocating for this ride-hailing in BC for two years.

Meantime, the Surrey Board of Trade says it’s glad the province is taking steps to move forward with its plan.

It's interesting to hear some arguments from the taxi industry, but I'm not sure it's enough to be convincing.  Of course they are going to lose some business, but cabs are not going away.  Perhaps something that needs fixing is freeing up the cab companies ability to set rates, although I have trouble imagining that the restrictions imposed by the city force the rates to be artificially high.  And if Uber, etc. have higher rates, than taxis have less to worry about.

2 hours ago, trek said:

So is the NDP going to side with the corrupt taxi association? I thought they wanted the millennials to vote for them lol.

Looks like it.

The NDP is against the proposed legislation.   They criticize it but provide no alternative solution.

From CKNW:

The provincial government has announced that ride-sharing services like Uber will be active by December.

But BC’s NDP leader sees today’s announcement as nothing more than a political move that will create chaos.

“Create a problem, throw some gas on the problem, and step away.”

John Horgan says if the Premier cared about improving services she would have done it long before the election and not in a way that creates conflict.

He says this move makes the playing field uneven.

“When we do away with municipal boundaries, when the value of licenses goes to virtually zero, and new entrants won’t have to do the same things that previous entrants had to do to get into the market place….”

Horgan says the issue is needing more vehicles but he doesn’t clarify how he’d get past the strong taxi lobby that’s kept new licenses from being issued for years other than saying there would be more consultation.

14 hours ago, DonLever said:

From Vision Vancouver Geoff Meggs:

While many Vancouverites took to social media to celebrate the move, at city hall the official reaction wasn’t so jubilant.

Not surprising when Vision Party get big donations from the taxi industry.

I'm dying listening to this Geoff Meggs crying on global news right now "we should have asked the taxi industry to make a proposal"  lmao just lmao. Not our fault they got a little too comfy with their monopoly 

Have never voted in my life. I will make sure to get out for this one. 

1 hour ago, Seahawks85 said:

I'm dying listening to this Geoff Meggs crying on global news right now "we should have asked the taxi industry to make a proposal"  lmao just lmao. Not our fault they got a little too comfy with their monopoly 

Have never voted in my life. I will make sure to get out for this one. 

If you're in Vancouver, make sure to tell your friends how great uber is and it's completely safe. 

They know who the drivers are, it's not like they can commit a crime and get away with it. 

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

It was so funny watching taxi drivers protest when they saw an uber driver go by.  "That man is uber! that man is uber! rabble rabble rabble"

#$%^ em

If taxi companies and drivers were good at what they do then people wouldn't feel the need to ride Ubers.  The taxi industry only has itself to blame.

I'm going to open a restaurant in my house, it won't be inspected by the health board, and I'll just get my ingredients where ever I can, but that should keep my costs low enough to put the competition under.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

I'm going to open a restaurant in my house, it won't be inspected by the health board, and I'll just get my ingredients where ever I can, but that should keep my costs low enough to put the competition under.

I hope it's good food so I can deliver via UberEats

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Uber lost almost $3 Billion last year.  Their costs, most by way of subsidizing their drivers, are astronomical right now. 

https://skift.com/2016/12/21/uber-isnt-profitable-in-the-u-s-and-is-on-track-to-lose-3-billion-in-2016/

16 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

If taxi companies and drivers were good at what they do then people wouldn't feel the need to ride Ubers.  The taxi industry only has itself to blame.

My gf just went to Vancouver and said how horrible it is. 3hr waits on cabs all the time but Vancouver is nationally famous for having really $&!#ty drivers and there's no room to bring either one of our vehicles down there. 

Archived