The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque, police say

nuckin_futz

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They also have a tendency to go off the deep end and join extremist groups because society isn't overly accepting of them or they have a tough time fitting in. Exhibit A: Europe. But that's because we're racist, nothing to do with the fact a lot of these people and their beliefs and culture simply cannot or will not assimilate. 

Again, we don't need to be tip toeing around people. "Oh look a travel ban, I better go into a mall and shoot as many people as I can. I'm so misunderstood" I say any terrorist caught alive should be covered in gas and burned in public. Maybe that'll keep them in line. "Oh look a travel ban, that sucks" 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I do. Let them be pissed off, it's their turn. 

Mental illness? Well, what else do call a human with imaginary friends? 

The vast majority of the media reports fed into the mainstream of terrorist activity are religious freaks. It's not about race, as some poster used the White word earlier, It's about religion. This kind of thing will amp up in frequency here. Brace yourselves for the next one, it's just around the bend and what do you want to bet that some rival religion is responsible for it.  

The only problem with pissing them off is the Islamic extremists will blow you up for it, Christian extremists just go join the Westboro Baptist church and make themselves look retarded.

Based off of the limited knowledge of the suspected shooter thus far, you can safely argue that this was a terrorist attack.

The suspect had shown that he may have had extreme right-wing and anti-immigrant ideologies, and attacked a group that is often the target of hatred from groups associated with those ideologies.

But no, not every act of mass violence is a terrorist act.  Terrorism is not a perfectly defined term, but nearly all widely-used academic definitions of the word state that there has to be a grander motive outside of simply inflicting violence.  You can argue otherwise, but a person is definitively not a terrorist unless they meet that criteria.

Most of the formal definitions of terrorism have some common characteristics: a fundamental motive to make political/societal changes; the use of violence or illegal force; attacks on civilian targets by 'nonstate'/'Subnational actors'; and the goal of affecting society. This finding is reflected in Blee's listing of three components of terrorism:

1. Acts or threats of violence;
  2. The communication of fear to an audience beyond the immediate victim, and;
  3. Political, economic, or religious aims by the perpetrator(s).

13 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

The only problem with pissing them off is the Islamic extremists will blow you up for it, Christian extremists just go join the Westboro Baptist church and make themselves look retarded.

Oklahoma City might disagree.

14 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Again, we don't need to be tip toeing around people. "Oh look a travel ban, I better go into a mall and shoot as many people as I can. I'm so misunderstood" I say any terrorist caught alive should be covered in gas and burned in public. Maybe that'll keep them in line. "Oh look a travel ban, that sucks" 

I understand the sentiment, but I doubt it would do any good, they'd just make up a story about getting extra virgins if you get burned up and attract more of them.

The only thing that brings stability is everyone having access to a decent life, and unfortunately we will always have some random psychos like this fool in Quebec.

25 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

The only thing that brings stability is everyone having access to a decent life, and unfortunately we will always have some random psychos like this fool in Quebec.

I think this is simply untrue. Many of the recent perpetrators of terrorist attacks were relatively well off people in university programs such as engineering. Some are lone wolves, but many of them even had a solid group of friends and belonged to relatively tight communities. This whole idea that every militant or terrorist is motivated by their own misfortune and would chose a different life if they had the option is false. Some people are just full of hate. 

Just now, taxi said:

I think this is simply untrue. Many of the recent perpetrators of terrorist attacks were relatively well off people in university programs such as engineering. Some are lone wolves, but many of them even had a solid group of friends and belonged to relatively tight communities. This whole idea that every militant or terrorist is motivated by their own misfortune and would chose a different life if they had the option is false. Some people are just full of hate. 

Yes but they take their inspiration from perceived inequality. The irony is they like you say are well enough off to be "ideological". I was speaking more about the middle east where they are able to recruit 1000s to ISIL due to the mess there. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Yes but they take their inspiration from perceived inequality. The irony is they like you say are well enough off to be "ideological". I was speaking more about the middle east where they are able to recruit 1000s to ISIL due to the mess there. 

Many of the people flooding into the middle east are middle class people from Western nations. I'd argue their motivation is not perceived inequality, but perceived superiority. They want to start a caliphate and believe they have the right, above all other people and belief systems, to do so. 

Even among local recruits, ISIL members are more educated than their contemporaries:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/06/isil-recruits-better-educated-than-their-average-countryman-worl/

Many among the leadership of ISIL is among the extreme elite. They are all extremely literate and educated. Many ISIL members are former members of Iraq's army, who would have had access to extreme resources. Once again, I'd argue those people are driven by their own perceived superiority than perceived inequality. They believe they should rule. ISIL is a Sunni movement, but Sunni's make a up a minority in Iraq. 

27 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Martyrdom is a very enticing recruitment tool.  When you have fk all here the rewards after look enticing....at least to the cannon fodder.  Probably no well healed Muslim guy strapped a vest on or packed his trunk with stuff that goes bang. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Martyrdom is a very enticing recruitment tool.  When you have fk all here the rewards after look enticing....at least to the cannon fodder.  Probably no well healed Muslim guy strapped a vest on or packed his trunk with stuff that goes bang. 

There are many who would argue that these terrorists are not Muslim.

Terror or terrorism is such an overused word. Governments love it as a tool to keep the populace edgy and willing to follow. The media well.... it sells papers and ratings. Revenue.  The term could be used from a schoolyard bully to a cyber bully to an abusive spouse and their family.  And on and on. I've missed many.  Round the clock bombing of Germany was it not terrorism by the Allies?  Not all were Nazis.  Had Germany won Air Marshall "Bomber" Harris would have been first on the 7:05 train to Auschwitz.  Trudeau today is throwing the term around as it garners future votes. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Acts like that are a disgrace to whites.  Losers who think their actions retaliate for those of loser browns.  No ethnic/racial group can claim the higher ground.  Don't get me started. lol

Do we know that the victims were not 'whites' themselves? I haven't been following closely but this is the first I have seen race injected into the equation, which is volatile enough already seemingly.

15 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Do we know that the victims were not 'whites' themselves? I haven't been following closely but this is the first I have seen race injected into the equation, which is volatile enough already seemingly.

Quebec provincial police have released the names of all six victims who were killed:

• Father-of-three Azzeddine Soufiane, 57, a grocer and butcher
  • Khaled Belkacemi, 60, a professor in the food science department at Laval University
  • Father-of-three, Abdelkrim Hassen, 41, an IT worker for the government
  • Aboubaker Thabti, 44, and two Guinean nationals, Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42, and Ibrahima Barry, 39

1 hour ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Terror or terrorism is such an overused word. Governments love it as a tool to keep the populace edgy and willing to follow. The media well.... it sells papers and ratings. Revenue.  The term could be used from a schoolyard bully to a cyber bully to an abusive spouse and their family.  And on and on. I've missed many.  Round the clock bombing of Germany was it not terrorism by the Allies?  Not all were Nazis.  Had Germany won Air Marshall "Bomber" Harris would have been first on the 7:05 train to Auschwitz.  Trudeau today is throwing the term around as it garners future votes. 

Whether you agree or not, attacks on specific demographics, unprovoked is terrorism. It is an attack on that demographics way of life, to harm, intimidate, or challenge change. 

Apricots first post in this thread is a demonstration of its effect. If this attack wasn't terrorism, then nothing is. 

3 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Quebec provincial police have released the names of all six victims who were killed:

• Father-of-three Azzeddine Soufiane, 57, a grocer and butcher
  • Khaled Belkacemi, 60, a professor in the food science department at Laval University
  • Father-of-three, Abdelkrim Hassen, 41, an IT worker for the government
  • Aboubaker Thabti, 44, and two Guinean nationals, Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42, and Ibrahima Barry, 39

So the victims were black and white then? The media may try to make race a factor, but the issue seems to be religion.

Archived