The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque, police say

nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Please do look back at my history, it will give you time to reflect on the way you think, and if I ever posted the way you allege it will give me an opportunity to apolagize for being a jerk, that has hopefully, and will hopefully continue to grow up.

good stuff

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Oh.  Motive matters?  So, these guys were not terrorists based on?

Roof

Image result for church shooter

Breivik

Image result for brevik

Lanza

Image result for sandy hook shooter

Holmes

Image result

So there motives were what?  Not that of a terrorist?  Between the 4 they killed or wounded more than 450 people.  They are all westerners (Breivik European) and pay attention because this is important.  Because of them some didn't attend mass, some didn't allow their kids to go to camps, some were afraid to let their children go to school and many wouldn't go to a theater

They are all acts of terrorism.  Period

Terrorism as per its definition isn't simply the act of inciting terror.  Terrorism is the act of inciting terror for the purpose some sort of political, religious, or ideological goal.

Holmes and Lanza are not terrorists.  

They are scumbags and right fracked in the head, but both lacked such a goal they hoped to achieve from their crimes.  Both suffered from severe mental health issues and had a propensity for violence.

Holmes explicitly stated that there was no message behind his killings.  "Terrorism isn't the message.  The message is, there is no message:.  He just wanted to kill people.  

Lanza had an obsession with mass murder, and from what has been uncovered so far, it appears he just wanted to carry out a heinous act of his own.

Breivik and Roof on the other hand are most certainty terrorists.

Both of them had a specific ideological belief and committed their crimes in the hope that it would push their agenda forward.

Breivik was a far-right extremist who wrote a manifesto outlining his hatred of Islam, cultural marxism and feminism.  He stated he carried out his attacks in order to market his manifesto.  

Roof was a white supremacist who, like Breivik, had a manifesto outlining his ideology, which in part focused on his hatred of black people.  He admitted that he hoped his attack would incite a race war.

Just a little monday morning info for ya :P

7 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Terrorism as per its definition isn't simply the act of inciting terror.  Terrorism is the act of inciting terror for the purpose some sort of political, religious, or ideological goal.

They are scumbags and right fracked in the head, but both lacked such a goal they hoped to achieve from their crimes.  Both suffered from severe mental health issues and had a propensity for violence.

Holmes explicitly stated that there was no message behind his killings.  "Terrorism isn't the message.  The message is, there is no message:.  He just wanted to kill people.  

Lanza had an obsession with mass murder, and from what has been uncovered so far, it appears he just wanted to carry out a heinous act of his own.

Both of them had a specific ideological belief and committed their crimes in the hope that it would push their agenda forward.

Breivik was a far-right extremist who wrote a manifesto outlining his hatred of Islam, cultural marxism and feminism.  He stated he carried out his attacks in order to market his manifesto.  

Roof was a white supremacist who, like Breivik, had a manifesto outlining his ideology, which in part focused on his hatred of black people.  He admitted that he hoped his attack would incite a race war.

I'm of a very different mind.  Terrorists as politicians/media call them engage in acts for the sole purpose of terrorizing people, shutting down systems and enacting vengeance.

Lanza, Holmes may not have done their acts with the intent of being terrorists but were acts of terrorism none the less with long term and significant repercussions which are still felt in the US to this day.  With the main and fundamental difference is the unwillingness to label them as acts of terrorism,instead calling them mental illnesses and watching the exact same acts of violence continue nearly daily without ever addressing the issues

37 minutes ago, Dral said:

LoL - look at you two... both incapable of recognizing satire when the topic comes close to the heart, both of you at each others throats 1 thread over.... yet neither of you have the ability the to see the hypocrisy that has become your ideological tool... it's adorable...

6 CANADIANS dead... Yes we should be out raged.... 6 people died at the hands of mentally unstable gun-men, whom have now, as some have reported, shouted "Allah Akbar" before opening fire... Unverified as of yet...

How about we solemnly mourn the hundreds of thousands killed by equally unstable gun men in the middle east, who also perpetuate Muslim on Muslim violence... or do we not care about those because the tenants of Sunni vs Shia are meaningless in a white western democracy? Do those countless children murdered because their parents can't afford to pay Jizya suddenly become worthless because 6 CANADIAN individuals have now died?

Both of you make me sick

Dude I don't know wtf you are talking about, you really have no idea what my opinions are about these subjects so stop making assumptions. When some militants entered a Christian school in Pakistan and shot children to death, it hit me just as hard. I won't speak for Ryan but I am sure I have never seen him joke about terrorism either. I asked you to go make your point elsewhere because this thread should be focused on the 6 victims of a heinous attack and the POS that murdered them.

24 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I think this is a great post.

We also need to focus on the idea that whether it's labelled as terrorism or not, all of these incidents are forms of mass killing. Some of these incidents are terrorism, others are hate crimes, some are both, some are the result of mental illness. Regardless of the specific label, these are all horrible tragedies. 

45 minutes ago, Toews said:

Dude I don't know wtf you are talking about, you really have no idea what my opinions are about these subjects so stop making assumptions. When some militants entered a Christian school in Pakistan and shot children to death, it hit me just as hard. I won't speak for Ryan but I am sure I have never seen him joke about terrorism either. I asked you to go make your point elsewhere because this thread should be focused on the 6 victims of a heinous attack and the POS that murdered them.

Iiar

Patience, tolerance and understanding is needed here ..  not quite sure why this Society feels compelled to leap 'straight for the clitoris like a bull at the gate' .. this act is emblematic of much deeper seated discord which must be addressed .. there are no easy answers or solutions, and understanding requires time and empathy .. in the end, there is only love and forgiveness ..  all else will prove folly ..  "Start her off with a simple kiss, boy"!

WARNING: Sexually explicit language and images within video may cause some folks to squirm: ..

The Class in that video reminds me of the US Election Thread

Quebec mosque shooting: Suspect to appear in court Monday afternoon

Published on: January 30, 2017 | Last Updated: January 30, 2017 3:05 PM EST

Alexandre Bissonette, a 27-year-old student at Université Laval, who was studying anthropology before switching to political science. He is believed to be the lone suspect in the shooting at the Quebec City mosque Sunday night

The lone suspect in the shooting at the Quebec City mosque Sunday night is believed to be Alexandre Bissonnette, a 27-year-old student at Université Laval who was studying anthropology before switching to political science.

The Sûreté du Québec will not confirm the identity of the suspect, who is expected to be arraigned at the Quebec City courthouse Monday afternoon. Several media reports say Bissonnette is the suspect.  

But according to real-estate records, Bissonnette’s parents own a home on Tracel St. in the Cap-Rouge district of Quebec City where police conducted a search on Monday.

Bissonnette’s father is listed in the sales deed as an investigator. According to Bissonnette’s Facebook page — which has since been taken offline — his grandfather was a decorated war hero. 

As for the suspected shooter himself, his Facebook page does not reveal a great deal about his possible motivations.

His musical tastes appear to range from Katy Perry to Megadeth.

The young man, who dressed up as the Grim Reaper for Halloween, also “liked” Donald Trump, French Front National leader Marine Le Pen and Mathieu Bock-Cóté, a Quebec City columnist known for his pro-nationalist and anti-multicultural views.

A refugee welcome group in the capital city, however, said Bissonnette’s name and photograph were already familiar to them. In a post on Facebook, Bienvenu aux réfugiés said they learned “with sadness and anger about the identity of the terrorist Alexandre Bissonnette, unfortunately known by several militants in Quebec City for his viewpoints that were pro-LePen and anti-feminist, as expressed in social media and at Université Laval.”

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-mosque-shooting-suspect-to-appear-in-court-monday-afternoon

That's the latest from the Montreal Gazette.

Sainte-Foy grocer, Laval University prof ID'd as victims in Quebec mosque attack

6 people dead, 5 still in hospital following Sunday evening attack

CBC News Posted: Jan 30, 2017 1:50 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 30, 2017 2:21 PM ET

A Quebec police officer speaks with people awaiting news about the shooting victims.

A Quebec police officer speaks with people awaiting news about the shooting victims. (Maxime Corneau/Radio-Canada)

CBC News has identified two of the six men who died in Sunday night's shooting at a Quebec City mosque as Azzedine Soufiane, the owner of a grocery store and halal butcher shop, and Khaled Belkacemi, a professor at Laval University.

Soufiane owned and operated the Boucherie Assalam in Sainte-Foy, less than a kilometre away from the Islamic Cultural Centre where the shooting took place.

epicerie
Azzedine Soufiane, one of the six people who died in Sunday night's mosque shooting, owned the Boucherie Assalam in Sainte-Foy, Que. (Radio-Canada)

Belkacemi was a professor of soil and agri-food engineering at the university, also in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood.

In addition to the six confirmed fatalities, five others who were praying at the mosque at the time of the shooting are still in hospital.

Amine Noui, a friend and longtime customer of Soufiane's, was overcome with emotion upon learning of his friend's death Monday.

amine

Amine Noui, a friend and longtime customer at Azzedine Soufiane's grocery store, told Radio-Canada that Soufiane was 'like a father to everyone.' (Radio-Canada)

"I have no words," Noui told CBC's French-language service, Radio-Canada.

He said Soufiane was known throughout the community as an approachable, supportive figure.

"He was very nice, social, well liked by all his customers," said Noui. "He was a father to everyone here."

Noui said when he first moved to Quebec 10 years ago, Soufiane was one of the first people he met, helping him integrate into the community.

Belkacemi earned his bachelor of science in chemical engineering from Polytechnic School of Algiers in Algeria in 1983. He graduated with a PhD from Sherbrooke University in 1990.

His area of research focused on green chemistry and functional foods. Belkacemi was the keynote speaker at the 66th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference in Quebec City in October.

Khaled Belkacemi

Khaled Belkacemi was a professor at Laval University. (Photo from www.inaf.ulaval.ca/)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-shooting-victims-1.3958191

So... did the shooter just killed his prof?  

Maybe this is more just a targeted shooting with lots of individuals caught in between?

I also love how the news article tries desperately to tie in certain political leaders and movement as potential reasons why this sick SOB did what he did.  I mean... they could have easily wrote that the shooter was following the lyrics for Katy Perry's Fireworks.  I mean... 

Baby you're a firework
Come and let your colors burst
Make 'em go "oh, oh, oh!"
You're gonna leave 'em falling down down down 

Could easily be twisted into something more nefarious.  

3 hours ago, Dral said:

LoL - look at you two... both incapable of recognizing satire when the topic comes close to the heart, both of you at each others throats 1 thread over.... yet neither of you have the ability the to see the hypocrisy that has become your ideological tool... it's adorable...

6 CANADIANS dead... Yes we should be out raged.... 6 people died at the hands of mentally unstable gun-men, whom have now, as some have reported, shouted "Allah Akbar" before opening fire... Unverified as of yet...

How about we solemnly mourn the hundreds of thousands killed by equally unstable gun men in the middle east, who also perpetuate Muslim on Muslim violence... or do we not care about those because the tenants of Sunni vs Shia are meaningless in a white western democracy? Do those countless children murdered because their parents can't afford to pay Jizya suddenly become worthless because 6 CANADIAN individuals have now died?

Both of you make me sick

6 people died by the hands of a terrorist. Every single time a shooting happens, and the suspect is non-Muslim, he's suddenly a "mentally disabled" person. But when it's a Muslim, he's labelled a terrorist. Alexandre Bissonette is a terrorist who killed 6 people. He is not a mentally unstable human who killed 6 people, he is a terrorist. 

6 minutes ago, Apricot said:

6 people died by the hands of a terrorist. Every single time a shooting happens, and the suspect is non-Muslim, he's suddenly a "mentally disabled" person. But when it's a Muslim, he's labelled a terrorist. Alexandre Bissonette is a terrorist who killed 6 people. He is not a mentally unstable human who killed 6 people, he is a terrorist. 

The little creep was studying at Laval. He is a terrorist, there is no doubt about that. Anyone capable of these kinds of acts has some kind of screw loose, but they are still acts of terror. 

Whenever something like this happens now there's always 1 or 2 people who want to be contrarians or try to point fingers to all sorts of things, but it is good to see the outpouring of support from most people and politicians over this. Pigs like Le Pen are just as bad as ISIL in my view. 

13 minutes ago, Apricot said:

Because MOST of the time, not all but most, when the shooter is a muslim he's doing it in the name of the religion/allah, a lot of those white shooters literally had no motive or reason for it, they were just insane.

21 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Because MOST of the time, not all but most, when the shooter is a muslim he's doing it in the name of the religion/allah, a lot of those white shooters literally had no motive or reason for it, they were just insane.

People killing in the name of god are insane. Scratch that, everyone who kills without provocation is insane. 

This was a terrorist act. 

50 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

An attack on anyone, from anyone, is a terrorist attack. You have to agree that every single time its a white shooter, the news quickly label the shooter mentally unstable. You cannot name me one instant where there has been an attack by a Muslim that hasn't been labelled a terrorist attack. Muslim=terrorist, its how the world sees Muslims, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

36 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

People killing in the name of god are insane. Scratch that, everyone who kills without provocation is insane. 

This was a terrorist act. 

Yeah but then if we start going down that road and associating religious belief with mental illness that's just going to piss them off even more.

Look what extremists did to Charlie Hebdo over a cartoon, imagine if people start associating their religion with mental illness

Just now, Bo053 said:

Yeah but then if we start going down that road and associating religious belief with mental illness that's just going to piss them off even more.

Look what extremists did to Charlie Hebdo over a cartoon, imagine if people start associating their religion with mental illness

I didn't associate religion with mental illness. Just pointing out that you seem to think it's less acceptable to kill if it's for religious reasons compared to not being of sound mind.  

It's not acceptable. Period.

9 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

I do. Let them be pissed off, it's their turn. 

Mental illness? Well, what else do call a human with imaginary friends? 

The vast majority of the media reports fed into the mainstream of terrorist activity are religious freaks. It's not about race, as some poster used the White word earlier, It's about religion. This kind of thing will amp up in frequency here. Brace yourselves for the next one, it's just around the bend and what do you want to bet that some rival religion is responsible for it.  

Archived