The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finland To Become First Country to Abolish All School Subjects

nucklehead

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

yes it is a bit of strange situation..  BC funding is very low by canadian standards but results on standardized testing are quite high.....

I wonder if it may have to do with immigration to BC  /  ethnic breakdown of our BC population.

I don't want to be accused of being racist but BC does get high immigration from a  country that has very high standards of academic success/ test success here .....

Well it has to be something. It seems strange for sure. Generally when funding is low results are low.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well it has to be something. It seems strange for sure. Generally when funding is low results are low.

Yes it would make an interesting study....

Here is another graphic BC teachers are not that happy about since it is expensive to live in BC...

It shows starting salary with a degree and masters  and   salary maximum after bachelors / masters / and then after you taught 8 -10 years....

Which for most people would be bacheors ( 4-5 yrs) masters  ( 2 years )  then work as a teach on call for a few years.....  then get hired... then work 8- 10 years full time 

TeacherRankingCat6.png

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes it would make an interesting study....

Here is another graphic BC teachers are not that happy about since it is expensive to live in BC...

It shows starting salary with a degree and masters  and   salary maximum after bachelors / masters / and then after you taught 8 -10 years....

Which for most people would be bacheors ( 4-5 yrs) masters  ( 2 years )  then work as a teach on call for a few years.....  then get hired... then work 8- 10 years full time 

TeacherRankingCat6.png

Ya I heard about this during a strike in B.C a few years back. What baffled me about B.C is were does the money go. Very high taxes, resource rich and yet highways are poor, teachers are under paid and the health care in that province wtf?

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya I heard about this during a strike in B.C a few years back. What baffled me about B.C is were does the money go. Very high taxes, resource rich and yet highways are poor, teachers are under paid and the health care in that province wtf?

Well the BC gov does have a 2 Billion surplus....

Yah, it makes you wonder...   I am not sure about the high tax thingy now...  I though BC had pretty low corporate tax rates now.....  I need to look at that...

Yes people are broke in BC now.  High individual taxes and way to expensive real estate.  More and more user fees. Gas taxes etc.....

I think BC has borrowed huge NEW debt under the BC libs for massive intra structure projects  - created employment....

Not sure how BC is going to go forward. Not enough high paying jobs in this province to support the high living costs...

High tech industry ?  Is that the way forward  in BC ?   but surely india  / china and low cost countries can cut us out of those jobs.....

Agreed.  Bad health care in BC.  ER  is a bad joke here.  Thought  i was in an old MASH TV show rerun last time i took my dad there.....

Old people without a family member bringing them there  would not make it......

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well the BC gov does have a 2 Billion surplus....

Yah, it makes you wonder...   I am not sure about the high tax thingy now...  I though BC had pretty low corporate tax rates now.....  I need to look at that...

Yes people are broke in BC now.  High individual taxes and way to expensive real estate.  More and more user fees. Gas taxes etc.....

I think BC has borrowed huge NEW debt under the BC libs for massive intra structure projects  - created employment....

Not sure how BC is going to go forward. Not enough high paying jobs in this province to support the high living costs...

High tech industry ?  Is that the way forward  in BC ?   but surely india  / china and low cost countries can cut us out of those jobs.....

Agreed.  Bad health care in BC.  ER  is a bad joke here.  Thought  i was in an old MASH TV show rerun last time i took my dad there.....

Old people without a family member bringing them there  would not make it......

I meant 7% pst.

Just now, Chris said:

Image result for Education in the last 100 years

I'm glad Finland is doing something about it.

I was just thinking the teachers of these classes focussed on a phenomenon would need to be super smart in the sciences, maths, and languages.  Would the teacher be expected to know all those subject areas, and be able to teach them all?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I was just thinking the teachers of these classes focussed on a phenomenon would need to be super smart in the sciences, maths, and languages.  Would the teacher be expected to know all those subject areas, and be able to teach them all?  

We need Educate people, to Educate people. Seems pretty simple, doesn't it? Teach the people that want to be Teachers to be better Teachers.

Just now, Chris said:

We need Educate people, to Educate people. Seems pretty simple, doesn't it? Teach the people that want to be Teachers to be better Teachers.

I think it will be very hard to find people with those academic talents wanting to be one teachers.  It's been a long time, but I don't remember ANY teachers with the brains needed to teach multiple academic subjects.  Aren't super smart people like that in private business, raking in big money?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think it will be very hard to find people with those academic talents wanting to be one teachers.  It's been a long time, but I don't remember ANY teachers with the brains needed to teach multiple academic subjects.  Aren't super smart people like that in private business, raking in big money?

You mean people like Donald Trump?

:)

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it will be more based on student led inquiry learning.  Teacher will be more the faciliitator.

Don't need teachers to know everything now days....   Just use google for that. 

https://www.edutopia.org/blog/inquiry-based-learning-asking-right-questions-georgia-mathis

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think it will be more based on student led inquiry learning.  Teacher will be more the faciliitator.

Don't need teachers to know everything now days....   Just use google for that. 

https://www.edutopia.org/blog/inquiry-based-learning-asking-right-questions-georgia-mathis

I guess Alf is "old" school.  :lol:

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree it could be better but apparently B.C is near the top, in Canada anyway.

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/provincial/education.aspx

I didn't look at the link , but sometimes  people don't measure apples versus apples. Maybe some private schools were used and the downtown eastside public schools weren't?

Also would add, does the amount spent by bc include the $300 mill the supreme court ordered them to spend or not?

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

The 72 Summit Series would be my focus phenomenon:)

Its got it all.... foreign relations, sports, economics, Alf, it's genius. 

Its all a bit smoke and mirrors, at some point you still have to sit down and learn your times tables and abc's. 

16 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Maybe it just means teachers in other provinces are over paid. Canada pretty much has a baseline curriculum, your education will be roughly the same no matter where you go. Thats why kids are able to go from high school in one province and uni in another. 

Maybe it also means a lot of education is up to individual effort + attention at home. 

36 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Maybe it also means a lot of education is up to individual effort + attention at home. 

What about kids that are from homes that are unstable and poorly stimulated / no resources.....  Do these kids deserve any kind of an quality  education ? 

Archived