The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whiny Albertans petition for Alberta to Join Trump and the US

hsedin33

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:45 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Actually Hawaii, Alaska, Yukon, BC, Washington, Oregon, California, and Baja California make one new country. Pacifica. 

Lots of industry, resources, Oil, Sugar, Lumber, LNG, and areas with nice sandy beaches, and fishing. 

We'll fly Boeing Aircraft, drive Teslas, and have our own constitution and get rid of the fat cat politicians. 

Hell, you can even make weed legal and tax it. Use the hemp for rope, and clothing. Win-win situation all around. 

I was thinking Cascadia. Maybe Pacifica Cascadium?

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, hsedin33 said:

http://dailyhive.com/calgary/petition-alberta-to-join-the-united-states-2017

There’s a petition to try to get President Trump to offer Alberta statehood

C5667d28f1f280a1107a885ad0d95d34?s=96&d=mm&r=g
DH Calgary StaffFeb 15, 2017 9:56 am631

A petition to ‘save’ Alberta from Canada has been started by American Lhris Ceeson.

Ceeson says Alberta’s values side more with those of the values of the United States and that Albertans deserve better than the hatred they receive from the rest of Canada and the Canadian government.

So far, the petition has 1,164 votes, saying it only needs 336 more votes for the petition to be sent to President Trump.

The Canadian province of Alberta deserves better than the hatred it receives from the rest of Canada and its government. The values of Albertans are more accurately reflected by those of the United States of America. As a state, Alberta would be able to regulate its own healthcare, minimum wage, gun laws, and remain relatively the same should Albertans decide such.

Should Albertans decide to secede from Canada, President Trump must take immediate action to offer statehood and annex the province if necessary.

Here’s a look at some of the comments from supporters:

petition-comment-3.png

Image: Change.org petition

petition-comment-1.png

Image: Change.org petition

petition-comment-2.png

Straight up Alberta for California, what do you think?

Here's a picture of one of the people celebrating shortly after signing the petition.tumblr_m22cnyqWpE1r1yj84.gif

9 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Makes sense as Trudeau is about to impose sharia law in this country, wI think that Islamophobia bill which is like the sharia law where you can't blaspheme Allah or Muhammad 

That bill needs to be struck down now. Unless it's a bill that protects all religion from persecution, it's worthless.

12 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Makes sense as Trudeau is about to impose sharia law in this country, wI think that Islamophobia bill which is like the sharia law where you can't blaspheme Allah or Muhammad 

I keep seeing this idea being posted but no one put up a link to any actual legislation.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Doesn't Vancouver Island want to be their own Country? ^_^

When I lived on Salt Spring Island they used to refer to themselves as "The republic of SSI."

I'm thinking about declaring my property as a separate country. All I have to do is find a doctor, dentist, electrician, farmer, hunter, handyman and a few hundered others to join me.

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

When I lived on Salt Spring Island they used to refer to themselves as "The republic of SSI."

I'm thinking about declaring my property as a separate country. All I have to do is find a doctor, dentist, electrician, farmer, hunter, handyman and a few hundered others to join me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That bill needs to be struck down now. Unless it's a bill that protects all religion from persecution, it's worthless.

Actually its just a motion, it carries no actual weight re: laws. All it does is recognize the word "islamophobia" and set up a committee to study the issue. The media is playing it up tho as if it is a bill unfortunately. 

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Actually its just a motion, it carries no actual weight re: laws. All it does is recognize the word "islamophobia" and set up a committee to study the issue. The media is playing it up tho as if it is a bill unfortunately. 

Fair enough. Thank you for clarifying that. However, it would be nice to see that all religions and phobias against them are included in the wording.

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Umm it condemns islamophobia not recognize. Phillip is right it should be all religion or no religion.

It occurred to me that one of the reasons things like discussions over equalization can get so nasty so fast is that people (like I've done) can be quick to assign blame to the situation. The issue comes up, politicians use it to divide for votes, people start calling for new countries. 

But the fact is, no province has a say in the actual formula. The system in fact is all determined by the feds: "The provinces are uninvolved in the transfer except to the extent that they may qualify for Equalization payments; provincial governments do not contribute financially to the Equalization program, and each province’s ability to raise tax revenues is unaffected by the transfer. There are no conditions on the use of Equalization payments or the standards that should be achieved by the Equalization-receiving provinces. Instead, the provinces make decisions on behalf of their residents, and they are accountable to voters for the services they provide." (http://www.lop.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2008-20-e.htm)

So accusing provinces of doing one thing or anther to each other makes no sense. No province "pays" into it in the sense of losing anything from a provincial budget, and no one can say what a province can do with it once its received. So even if Quebec e.g., wanted more money from Alberta, they have no say in it whatsoever. 

But none of that stops all of our provincial politicians from using it as a way to create whatever populist wedges they want to, in order to drive up votes and so what if people in Calgary or Vancouver or Montreal dislike each other? 

So the argument shouldn't be province to province where there's no actual control or say in it, but province to the federal government. But I'm sure the fed's would prefer for people and provinces to fight over it instead :lol: Just some food for thought. 

Just a question

Where are/were all of you people when Harper was trying to criminalize any criticism of Israel again?

http://www.canadianprogressiveworld.com/2015/05/13/harpers-effort-to-criminalize-legitimate-canadian-criticism-of-israel-is-diabolical/

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/07/20117206368409551.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2015/05/law-law-canadians-criticise-israel-150517073103880.html

More than a few of those laws passed legislation.  it is in fact illegal to be "anti semetic" or speak out against Israel or delegitamize them.  Remarkable that so many people are so outspoken about recognizing yet another useless law within a law (islamophobia instead of just hate speech) but conveniently forget this happened.

Looking at you Blackfish,

2 hours ago, BlackBeard said:

Archived