The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trading Has Started, Values Being Set, Should The Canucks Start Making Moves Now?

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Moves for the right price, I'd say.  However, for the pending UFA's especially I'd say get them out the door, no more letting guys walk for nothing please.

I'm also liking how the media has been reporting that the team is now asking for top prospects, which I think is a reasonable asking price for a producing, cost-controlled asset with term still (Hansen in this case).  For teams that are desperate, I don't think a 2nd or good prospect is out of reach for Burr and Miller (asking price for each, I mean if Patrick Eaves can get a 2nd and he's at best a complementary winger to skill, I'd say Burr is a career revival year can get that much, even if it's a late 2nd).

Should be interesting times, actually more excited to see what happens before the TDL than actual games.    

Trying to trade for top prospects is tough in this cap world, teams don't want to give them up unless you overpay. Benning is supposedly a drafting guru yet last year had hardly any and so far this year almost the same. I like Baer and have come around on Granlund but don't want a whole team of those type of guys.

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

No matter how much I'd love Landy here, I only have two words when "trade Jake" comes up. Those two words- Cam Neeley.

Don't give up on young powerforwards. Keep him until at least age 23 or stage 2 rehab.

Huge difference between Cam and Jake, Cam was a force from day one, just look at the stats and they are accurate, he was dealt due to a really bad coach trying his keep his job. It was one of the worst deals in Canuck history, Cam had already established himself as a kid that could score and was tough as nails, 51 g - 104 pts - 320 pms in 201 games mostly playing 4th line minutes.

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

No matter how much I'd love Landy here, I only have two words when "trade Jake" comes up. Those two words- Cam Neeley.

Don't give up on young powerforwards. Keep him until at least age 23 or stage 2 rehab.

Huge difference between Cam and Jake, Cam was a force from day one, just look at the stats and they are accurate, he was dealt due to a really bad coach trying his keep his job. It was one of the worst deals in Canuck history, Cam had already established himself as a kid that could score and was tough as nails, 51 g - 104 pts - 320 pms in 201 games mostly playing 4th line minutes.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hi Joe!

why didn't JB get er done in the 2016 TDL?  Are you saying he tried, but things out of his control got in the way - our owner?

Hamhuis and vrbata both had NTC's.

Vrbata gave 8 teams Jim called every one and every one said no thanks. Vrbata admitted he tanked his list so he wouldn't get traded...  “I could have given a lot more (options) and I would have moved. If I wanted to get traded, I would have been traded.”

Hamhuis gave Jim only 2 teams to deal with. Chicago decided they needed a forward more and went with Ladd. Dallas decided that Russell was a better option. They were both horrible decisions.

It's amazing that some fans don't know these things.

19 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Vrbata gave 8 teams Jim called every one and every one said no thanks. Vrbata admitted he tanked his list so he wouldn't get traded...  “I could have given a lot more (options) and I would have moved. If I wanted to get traded, I would have been traded.”

Hamhuis gave Jim only 2 teams to deal with. Chicago decided they needed a forward more and went with Ladd. Dallas decided that Russell was a better option. They were both horrible decisions.

They know.....they just choose to ignore. They are like the media and ignore facts for the better story.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

We hashed through this last TDL.  There were several insiders last year suggesting our owner got involved.  Go back and read through the comments.  It's very interesting.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We hashed through this last TDL.  There were several insiders last year suggesting our owner got involved.  Go back and read through the comments.  It's very interesting.  

You are right.... it's been hashed through. If you had read through the comments you might have seen actual quotes from the horses mouths. Not some pure good old fashioned speculation without credible sources. It's about as interesting and fact based as the National Enquirer.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

What?! Are you telling me that there were reasons other than the so washed-up and annoying 'Benning just sucks at TDL' for not moving certain pieces last year?

I wish this could be posted at the beginning of every thread about TDL on CDC so that we can get past and over this ridiculous notion that Benning just didn't 'try hard enough', or is so dumb, or is a bad GM and that's why we aren't seeing mega trades and switch old pieces for everyone else's top end players and draft picks. He also isn't going to tell everyone on the radio/TV his entire strategy and game plan and let all us fan in on what he is thinking, doing and moves he wants to make. Of course he's going to pretend he isn't sure or is waiting or is undecided. I'd be horrified if he told us everything, because then he'd be telling every other GM as well.

You can't trade players that control their fate with NTC or NMC, some of which were given out before Benning took over the team and others were put in because they are just the norm now a days. How mad would everyone be if Stamkos had gone free agent and we didn't get him just because we didn't give him a NTC or NMC? CDC would be howling! These parts of contracts are given out now a days.

You can't trade players no one wants! You can't get back a huge haul with nothing. You can't get high draft picks with a guy like Burrows alone (you also can't package Burrows, Menga, Skille and other low end pieces for a big return). CDC needs to face the reality that Benning isn't incompetent or stupid. It takes two to tango when it comes to trades. If no one wants to trade...... If no one likes what you have or doesn't see the value you think your players have....then you've got no trade. Come on CDC. Less hate and rage and anger at one person trying to run the team and look at what we have, really look not CDC look, and then sit back watch the process and either cheer and enjoy this team's change because you're a fan or else pick a different team.

Trading has started? Really!? Who'd have thunk it?

Yup Benning, time to get back from your vacation where you weren't doing anything (who did that interview for you yesterday?!?) and get on the phone. Don't forget to plug it into the wall so it works. While you're at it, make sure Aquilini has been paying the bills so the line hasn't been cut off.

I mean, there must be some reason why he hasn't made a trade yet when all the best names are already moving and it's warranted a pointed commentary by The Guardian.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

They know.....they just choose to ignore. They are like the media and ignore facts for the better story.

Yup. While they're beating that dead horse, we're here slapping them in the back of the head but ignoring the hollow sound that keeps echoing when we do.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hey!  Good thread topic.  I sure hope JB gets on this emerging trade train.  What if Hansen, Burrows, and Miller get injured next game?  Then we lose out on getting assets again.  That's why the smart teams get these trades done early.  

Also they should have learned from last year. There was the unrealistic idea that we could still make the playoffs so they decided to wait until trade deadline day to work on a trade for Hamhuis. If they had started the ball rolling a week earlier Hamhuis is probably moved to Dallas for what Calgary got for Russell. When you look at our remaining games you can tell if we stand pat we're still finishing bottom 5. Why not get something for Miller and Burrows even if its a long shot of a payoff and still finish bottom 5. Its not like we can't just sign Miller and Burrows back in 3 months. Oh wait we can. 

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Trading has started? Really!? Who'd have thunk it?

Yup Benning, time to get back from your vacation where you weren't doing anything (who did that interview for you yesterday?!?) and get on the phone. Don't forget to plug it into the wall so it works. While you're at it, make sure Aquilini has been paying the bills so the line hasn't been cut off.

I mean, there must be some reason why he hasn't made a trade yet when all the best names are already moving and it's warranted a pointed commentary by The Guardian.

I wonder if Aqualini has to approve ALL JB's trades?  Isn't that the Hamhuis rumour from last season?  

10 hours ago, ice orca said:

Trying to trade for top prospects is tough in this cap world, teams don't want to give them up unless you overpay. Benning is supposedly a drafting guru yet last year had hardly any and so far this year almost the same. I like Baer and have come around on Granlund but don't want a whole team of those type of guys.

I think JB has done a good job with our defence and now we need to give him a chance to work on the Offence. He's really just getting started on our top six skilled guys when it comes to the draft

8 hours ago, coryberg said:

Most people on here are in there own little worlds and don't know how to deal with reality and facts..........Kinda sounds like Trump

5 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think JB has done a good job with our defence and now we need to give him a chance to work on the Offence. He's really just getting started on our top six skilled guys when it comes to the draft

Are you implying JB passed over Ehlers, Nylander, Pastrnak, and Tkatchuk because he wanted to "delay" the rebuild?  He chose, instead, players that will need longer to develop?  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you implying JB passed over Ehlers, Nylander, Pastrnak, and Tkatchuk because he wanted to "delay" the rebuild?  He chose, instead, players that will need longer to develop?  

24 GM's passed over Pastrnak... you are gonna have to let that one go.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think Benning needs advice from you about running or building a NHL Hockey team first of all. Every team takes there chances on there picks and I think most trust Benning based on experience and player evaluation skills. He's got a boss to answer to and he may not have total control on his decission making, but I'll admit better choices could of been made, now we know that and I'm sure like all GM's, especially rookie GM's he'll learn from mistakes made and will improve as time goes by. I think he is moving forward according to their plan and now we somewhat have our Defence and goal tending done, now he will work on talented, skilled top 6 forwards.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

24 GM's passed over Pastrnak... you are gonna have to let that one go.

Considering JB passed him by twice, and JB worked as the guy responsible for the draft (previous to the draft) for the team that drafted him, I'm wondering if JB made a gentleman's agreement to not take Pastrnak.  

Archived