The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

I like how a lot of Dahlens goals come from in front of the net, johnny on the spot type of goals. Not afraid to go to the dirty areas and has a passion for scoring. This guy is a Benning wet dream

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking that he could be a similar player to Jonny Hockey in Calgary.   I think I line him as a prospect than Goldy.  He comes across a little more passionate.

18 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I have been thinking that he could be a similar player to Jonny Hockey in Calgary.   I think I line him as a prospect than Goldy.  He comes across a little more passionate.

Not sure if he's the shifty type of player that he is. I would think he's more comparable to a Cammalleri, but I have not really seen him play other than a highlight package.

On 4/29/2017 at 1:31 AM, R35Godz1lla said:

If Dahlen & Goldobin can both be top 6 wingers for this team going forward, then this years TDL is going to go down as one of the best ever for this team.

It's Exciting to finally see some youth take shape. Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Goldobin, hopefully Dahlen with Virtanen and Juolevi at some point + whoever we draft this year ( Please be Patrick / Hischier ) , the core of this team could really start to solidify itself as early as the 18-19 season.

If even one or two of the players like, Gaudette, Lockwood, Briesbois, Etc. can make the team over the next 2-3 years I think people will start to forget about year 1 and 2 of Bennings tenure.

In all honesty we'd have to be pretty lucky for all the players to pan out. I think obviously some have higher chances than others of being consistent NHL producers, others will be little flashes in the pan and we might get lucky with later picks like Gaudette down the line, but it'll most likely be a bit of a mash of players.

For example, one or two of the high-expectation players will be full timers (Boeser, Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin, Dahlen)

Maybe one of the low expectation, late picks will become a full timer like Hansen/Burrows (Gaudette comes to mind).

We'll fill out the rest of the spots with either a trade (less likely) or UFA signing (more likely).

The team is certainly taking shape and more excitingly, our young core is, but most of them haven't played a full NHL season yet so it's anyone's bet as to how good they are. We're seeing playoff performers now picked in the 4th to later rounds, or undrafted players having success, so you never know who's going to surprise you. I think this training camp will be quite interesting after the draft and surely some Benning trades. Pretty much every roster spot is open going into camp.

Dahlen is #2 on the Province's list of top prospects.

Granlund and Baertschi have already proven they are capable "full time" playeres....Boeser is an absolute sure thing and Goldy and Dahly are at least 90% sure things.

If Gaudette improves at all this year you can add him to the 90% sure thing list.

We will have a high scoring and exciting team in under 2 years time.

34 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Granlund and Baertschi have already proven they are capable "full time" playeres....Boeser is an absolute sure thing and Goldy and Dahly are at least 90% sure things.

If Gaudette improves at all this year you can add him to the 90% sure thing list.

We will have a high scoring and exciting team in under 2 years time.

Not impossible but sounds maybe a little overly optimistic?

Not that I have issues with optimism. I generally fall on that side when it comes to prospects.

But if I'm trying to be objective, I'd say "hitting" on the players you've listed only guarantees us having a pretty good future middle six as a "sure thing."

To have a "high scoring and exciting team," we will need some new additions that can develop into high quality first line players.

To get there, either we'll need a couple big "hits" with our next few first round picks, or we need some of those existing guys to reach or exceed their "ceilings."

This is not a "sure thing" (yet) IMO.

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not that I have issues with optimism. I generally fall on that side when it comes to prospects.

But if I'm trying to be objective, I'd say "hitting" on the players you've listed only guarantees us having a pretty good future middle six as a "sure thing."

To have a "high scoring and exciting team," we will need some new additions that can develop into high quality first line players.

To get there, either we'll need a couple big "hits" with our next few first round picks, or we need some of those existing guys to reach or exceed their "ceilings."

It might also mean that we're simply a team with three, really good '2nd' lines and one solid '3rd' line (and hopefully a solid, puck transitioning d-core and good goaltending).

Edited by J.R.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think you can add Rodin and of course Horvat to that list and likely whoever we pick at #5 this year...that gives us this year after next:

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Dahlen / Vilardi or Glass / Goldy or Rodin

Granlund / Sutter / Rodin or Goldy

Virtanen / Gaunce / Dorsett or Erikkson

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The lineup I just posted (above) could be 2 good first lines and 2 decent 2nd-3rd lines.....in 3 years time....

It looks like two good second lines to me. There's no Malkin, Crosby, Backstrom type player that is going to score 70+ points.

1 minute ago, The Great 8 said:

It looks like two good second lines to me. There's no Malkin, Crosby, Backstrom type player that is going to score 70+ points.

The NHL is changing and it is harder to hit 100 points then ever before....so 70 points is now a great number.

I will wager that at least 2 of these guys hit 70 points within 4 years ( I was thinking 3 years but some of those guys won't be playing on the team for over 1 year):

Horvat, Boeser, Dahlen, Goldobin, Vilardi/Glass, Baertschi, Granlund ...heck while I'm at it here are my career high predictions for them;

Horvat - 80 points

Boeser- 75 

Dahlen-  75

Goldy -  65

Vilardi-  75

Glass -  65

Baertschi - 55

Granlund-  60

How's that for optimisim...

11 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Personally I'm fine with a bunch of '1B/2A' lines and a '3A' 4th line, solid D and goal tending.

We're not likely to chance upon a 'McDavid' in the next couple years so we'll have to beat the real McDavid's, Mathews' etc with solid depth, 2 way play, D and goal tending. Especially as those teams start to atrophy talent as their raises come due.

Bruins beat us for the cup with a team like that.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

It might also mean that we're simply a team with three, really good '2nd' lines and one solid '3rd' line (and hopefully a solid, puck transitioning d-core and good goaltending).

No doubt. And that's probably a good model to be working toward. Kind of a "Boston model" (minus all the douchebaggery). We might (especially after the next draft or two) have the pieces necessary for that kind of lineup.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I think you can add Rodin and of course Horvat to that list and likely whoever we pick at #5 this year...that gives us this year after next:

Baer / Bo / Boeser

Dahlen / Vilardi or Glass / Goldy or Rodin

Granlund / Sutter / Rodin or Goldy

Virtanen / Gaunce / Dorsett or Erikkson

Yeah, I can definitely see the potential. Just not at the point yet where I feel like there's certainty the pencilled in future lineup actually works as a quality NHL lineup.

I'd like to see at least three more quality top-6 forward prospects added, with a minimum of two having legitimate first line projections (EDIT: and some similar additions to the back end as well). At that point, I'd feel more comfortable mapping out a timeline for this team. Need to have enough quality prospects in the pool that a few can fail/bust and the overall group is deep enough to compensate.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The lineup I just posted (above) could be 2 good first lines and 2 decent 2nd-3rd lines.....in 3 years time....

Could be. But it could also be a missing a few key pieces, especially at the top of the lineup.

Outside of Horvat, that future lineup is based on more hope than certainty IMO. They could be good. But it's not a sure thing.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt. And that's probably a good model to be working toward. Kind of a "Boston model" (minus all the douchebaggery). We might (especially after the next draft or two) have the pieces necessary for that kind of lineup.

Yeah, I can definitely see the potential. Just not at the point yet where I feel like there's certainty the pencilled in future lineup actually works as a quality NHL lineup.

I'd like to see at least three more quality top-6 forward prospects added, with a minimum of two having legitimate first line projections (EDIT: and some similar additions to the back end as well). At that point, I'd feel more comfortable mapping out a timeline for this team. Need to have enough quality prospects in the pool that a few can fail/bust and the overall group is deep enough to compensate.

Could be. But it could also be a missing a few key pieces, especially at the top of the lineup.

Outside of Horvat, that future lineup is based on more hope than certainty IMO. They could be good. But it's not a sure thing.

....ya....but I require more "certainties" than just life, death and taxes ...so I will keep my hopes high...look at what Ottawa and Nashville are doing with Meh lineups.... and keep of the opinion that our Meh's are just as good or better.

Who would you rather have Turris or Horvat...etc., etc.

We are not that far off, 3-4 months of learning systems under Green and things could start rolling.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....ya....but I require more "certainties" than just life, death and taxes ...so I will keep my hopes high...look at what Ottawa and Nashville are doing with Meh lineups.... and keep of the opinion that our Meh's are just as good or better.

We are not that far off, 3-4 months of learning systems under Green and things could start rolling.

Ottawa has the best player in the world (arguably) playing 30 minutes a night: Karlsson.  We've never had anyone even close to that level on our D core.  It's almost impossible to win a Cup without an elite dman.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ottawa has the best player in the world (arguably) playing 30 minutes a night: Karlsson.  We've never had anyone even close to that level on our D core.  It's almost impossible to win a Cup without an elite dman.

The first part is true....but if Stetcher, Juolevi and Hutton pan out like I feel they will....that would make up for the Karlsson factor.

Stecher has the potential to be every bit as good as Ellis for the Preds, they play a similar game.

Hutton had his first fight at the end of last season....watch for him to elevate his play this year and onward

Juolevi is 3 or 4 years younger than those other two "young guys" so I can only hope he pans out

What we need is a solid playing style that takes advantage of what we have.....which is starting to be a fast and skilled young team....bring these guys together under the right systems and don't waiver for 3-4 months of learning it and we might have a drop-jaw exciting team again.

....edit....or a nasty-boring trapping team that wins....

Go Green Go...!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Personally I'm fine with a bunch of '1B/2A' lines and a '3A' 4th line, solid D and goal tending.

We're not likely to chance upon a 'McDavid' in the next couple years so we'll have to beat the real McDavid's, Mathews' etc with solid depth, 2 way play, D and goal tending. Especially as those teams start to atrophy talent as their raises come due.

Bruins beat us for the cup with a team like that.

Although the Bruins still had an elite player in Chara :sadno: . Suppose it's either an elite center or an elite defenseman.

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Nashville's forwards might be kind of meh but they've got an insanely stacked defensive core of Subban, Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm. 2 elite defenceman and Ellis/Ekholm would be a top pairing on most other teams, we aren't going to just stumble upon that level of talent for our blue line anytime soon.