The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

18 hours ago, Derp... said:

There's been a lot of talk on this earlier in the thread actually. I suggest reading through, it's not that big yet.

To sum up, his late birthday presents a variable that we can't account for easily in the Forsberg comparison. In his 19-20 year old season Forsberg put up 34 points in 47 AHL games and played in the WJC. Because of Dahlens Birthday, he will not be eligible for the WJC next year. If he comes over to NA and puts up similar numbers to Forsberg in his first AHL year then we can say there is a pretty strong similarity. If he stays in Sweden for 2017-2018 then it will be hard to draw the same parallels. For example Joel Eriksson Ek had 16 points in 26 SHL games this year (Draft +2 January 29th Birthday 1997). Dahlen is December 20th 1997, so almost a full year later. Just shy of 11 months. So if he does stay in Sweden and play in the SHL I will be looking to compare him against Eriksson Ek. If he can score around .75 points per game then we are looking at somebody who is probably a top prospect for many teams. Having said that William Nylander scored 0.95 points per game in the SHL in his draft +1 year (Before his 19th birthday). So if we want to go that route we would need to see him score over a point per game in the SHL or AHL next year.

If you want a close comparable in my eyes, it's probably William Karlsson. Same points per game in their draft +1 year in the Allsvenskan. Karlsson was a January birthday which makes the age difference nil. In his draft +2 year Karlsson had 28 points in 50 SHL games. Dahlen is a better goal scorer, and has shown that at many levels.

The thing to look for regardless of where he plays is the 0.7 points per game mark in my opinion. In either the SHL or AHL as a 19-20 year old that projects as top 6 for sure. Below that can just mean he needs a bit more time, or that his ceiling isn't quite that high. Eriksson Ek is an example of just needs more time, Karlsson is an example of ceiling is just not that high. Over 1 point per game in either league is a special player. projecting more towards the elite level for their age. 

Well I am sufficiently excited!

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2017 at 9:30 AM, Get real canuck fans said:

is Dahlens season over? Seems like not much news if he is still playing

I think his season might be over. There is apparently a chance for him to play in the World Championships this summer for Sweden, so I think people are just waiting to hear about that which begins May 5th. 

On 3/28/2017 at 3:00 AM, Boudrias said:

I expect his father will make the call. I do not have a lot of faith in the Euro leagues. The AHL is the premier league for training players into the NHL. The same suggestions have been made about Joulevi playing in Europe next year. No and no!

Isn't Juolevi, if he does not make the Canucks, still obligated to the CHL if he stays in N America?

If the choice is London or the SEL, I'm voting SEL, hands down!

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Isn't Juolevi, if he does not make the Canucks, still obligated to the CHL if he stays in N America?

Yes, Linden confirmed that he was drafted out of the CHL and wasn't on loan.   His U20 club was Jokerit - Helsinki.  Per Eliteprospects he hasn't played for the main team - but they are part of the KHL.  

Btw it's not longer SEL but SHL - they've changed it a few years back.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I wonder if he might get a chance to earn a spot on the Swedish Olympic team if NA players are barred. He's young but full of talent. I could see him trying to sneak on that team :DDD

On 3/27/2017 at 4:38 PM, Derp... said:

There's been a lot of talk on this earlier in the thread actually. I suggest reading through, it's not that big yet.

To sum up, his late birthday presents a variable that we can't account for easily in the Forsberg comparison. In his 19-20 year old season Forsberg put up 34 points in 47 AHL games and played in the WJC. Because of Dahlens Birthday, he will not be eligible for the WJC next year. If he comes over to NA and puts up similar numbers to Forsberg in his first AHL year then we can say there is a pretty strong similarity. If he stays in Sweden for 2017-2018 then it will be hard to draw the same parallels. For example Joel Eriksson Ek had 16 points in 26 SHL games this year (Draft +2 January 29th Birthday 1997). Dahlen is December 20th 1997, so almost a full year later. Just shy of 11 months. So if he does stay in Sweden and play in the SHL I will be looking to compare him against Eriksson Ek. If he can score around .75 points per game then we are looking at somebody who is probably a top prospect for many teams. Having said that William Nylander scored 0.95 points per game in the SHL in his draft +1 year (Before his 19th birthday). So if we want to go that route we would need to see him score over a point per game in the SHL or AHL next year.

If you want a close comparable in my eyes, it's probably William Karlsson. Same points per game in their draft +1 year in the Allsvenskan. Karlsson was a January birthday which makes the age difference nil. In his draft +2 year Karlsson had 28 points in 50 SHL games. Dahlen is a better goal scorer, and has shown that at many levels.

The thing to look for regardless of where he plays is the 0.7 points per game mark in my opinion. In either the SHL or AHL as a 19-20 year old that projects as top 6 for sure. Below that can just mean he needs a bit more time, or that his ceiling isn't quite that high. Eriksson Ek is an example of just needs more time, Karlsson is an example of ceiling is just not that high. Over 1 point per game in either league is a special player. projecting more towards the elite level for their age. 

Excellent post!

• Upvote 1

Its couraging to see Viktor Arvidssons succes in Nashville right now because they have lot in common with skill/size. Dahlen even had slightly better junior career but next couple years in SHL/AHL will tell us more. 

I cant stress enough the fact that Allsvenskan really isnt just some farm league to SHL because SHL is open league and their last placed teams play not to drop to allsvenskan every year and allsvenskans best teams can climb to SHL so there is really healthy competition every year. Its widely argued that Allsvenskan is almost on the same level as Finlands top league from where one Sebastian Aho made the jump this year. So point per game is really hard there to achieve.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

I'm pretty high on this kid. Utica just got better!

Utica should be fun to watch next year. I think Brisebois is bound for the Comets as well. If Zhukenov joins and Virtanen spends another year there, there's gonna be a lot to watch.

Edited by Bigturk8
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Utica should be fun to watch next year. I think Brisebois is bound for the Comets as well. If Zhukenov joins and Virtanen spends another year there, there's gonna be a lot to watch.

yep and then maybe Boeser as well. Might be best for him to spend 1/2 a year down there. Might even see Raddysh(I have a feeling he signs with us) and our 2017pick down there as well. Utica could have a good team next year. Especially with Demko in net!

• Upvote 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

yep and then maybe Boeser as well. Might be best for him to spend 1/2 a year down there. Might even see Raddysh(I have a feeling he signs with us) and our 2017pick down there as well. Utica could have a good team next year. Especially with Demko in net!

Mckenzie as well?

10 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Hoping Dahlen signing has a positive domino effect. Maybe now Zhuk is more likely to sign and stay knowing there'll be some talent to play with. Maybe Raddysh signs etc, etc...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Mckenzie as well?

Ya maybe, and then MacEwan and Chatfield as well. There going to be a lot of new promising faces down there. Still need some top end talent prospects but we have depth for sure regarding them. I do hope Zhukenov signs, he's played lights out in the playoffs this year.

17 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

2017 pick, unless drafted from overseas will not be eligible for Utica. Though I think Utica will be on the up swing, hopefully they can find the right coach to take over, as I doubt Green comes back

• Upvote 1