The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 hour ago, Sedinery33 said:

We'll just have to send him off to Bo's skating coach, that should solve the issue

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah. According to cdc shecan cure cancer...

As 73 eluded to :lol:, I'm sure that with proper training, his skating can improve, but not everyone is going to show 'Horvat level' improvement regardless of training or hard work though. Some guys can only ever get so fast no matter how hard/well they train. (See: Sedins - for an obvious and familiar example).

So as I said, until I actually see a 'Horvat level' of improvement (which is less likely than CDC seems to think it is), I see him as more of a good, bottom 9 guy. And that's WITH a 'normal' amount of skating improvement.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah. According to cdc shecan cure cancer...

Haha, so true! I’m not taking anything away from Kathy McIlwain because she’s great at her job. But there are a bunch of excellent skating coaches coast to coast who offer comparable training and expertise. The results themselves probably say more about Bo (and his work ethic and genetics) than anything.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haha, so true! I’m not taking anything away from Kathy McIlwain because she’s great at her job. But there are a bunch of excellent skating coaches coast to coast who offer comparable training and expertise. The results themselves probably say more about Bo (and his work ethic and genetics) than anything.

I think people genuinely believe Bo is the only guy to ever go get a power skating coach to help improve his skating.  Nothing annoys me more than how for every single prospect that can't skate the first thing that is said is how they will be better. "Just look at Bo" "send him to Bo's skating coach"  Every single dam time,  Bo isn't the norm, he's an outlier who drastically improved his skating after being drafted.  Not many players can make those kind of steps with a bit of work and coaching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 15/02/2018 at 1:42 PM, AK_19 said:

Is there a reason why he never opted to play in the SHL? He was drafted a year ahead of Elias and playing in a league lower, it would've been nice to see how he matches up in Sweden's top league or even the AHL.

Are there any NHL players who took the same path as him?

Loyalty to his team and fans.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

As 73 eluded to :lol:, I'm sure that with proper training, his skating can improve, but not everyone is going to show 'Horvat level' improvement regardless of training or hard work though. Some guys can only ever get so fast no matter how hard/well they train. (See: Sedins - for an obvious and familiar example).

So as I said, until I actually see a 'Horvat level' of improvement (which is less likely than CDC seems to think it is), I see him as more of a good, bottom 9 guy. And that's WITH a 'normal' amount of skating improvement.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Boeser level speed would be great.  Gadjovich has to be able to keep up, not be the quickest guy on his line. 

He does appear to have a ave a pretty good awareness to his game. Knows what expectations he has, were go to be effective.  

He could be a deadly effective winger in the NHL.  Like a Holstrom style player. We could use a guy like that. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Boeser level speed would be great.  Gadjovich has to be able to keep up, not be the quickest guy on his line. 

He does appear to have a ave a pretty good awareness to his game. Knows what expectations he has, were go to be effective.  

He could be a deadly effective winger in the NHL.  Like a Holstrom style player. We could use a guy like that. 

From what I’ve seen of Dhalen he looks like a mini Jagr.  I really think he’s going to do even better on smaller ice.  His game is puck pursuit, and attacking from the dots down.  That’s ideal on smaller ice.  Love to see him Utica for their playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Absolutely to all of the above!

Observations:

January 2018 – Dahlen continues to be the best player in Sweden's second tier – the Allsvenskan. The fiesty and dynamic forward has driven play on a line with 2018 NHL draft eligible players, Filip Hälinder and Jacob Olofsson and leads the league in points-per-game with 1.22. He has recently stated he would play three more contests with Timrä before exploring his out clause to sign with an SHL club or return to North American and join the Utica Comets. Many teams have reported interest in the 2016 second round pick, with Brynas and Farjestad BK appearing to be the front runners. Dahlen should come to the AHL next season and will likely be closer to NHL-ready then many believe. Cam Robinson

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I got a feeling this Dahlin kid is going to make the big squad with Pettersson next season.  Cross my fingers and hope I'm right!!

I’ve been saying pretty much the same.  This kid is dynamite below the dots, and has a real nose for the net.  His game is best suited for the NHL.  This is going to be like the Erat for Forsberg trade.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’ve been saying pretty much the same.  This kid is dynamite below the dots, and has a real nose for the net.  His game is best suited for the NHL.  This is going to be like the Erat for Forsberg trade.  

Sorry, but who the heck are we talking about ?

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  I didn’t even notice the misspelling.  Maybe we get both the “e” and the “i” next season?  

Dahlén, Dahlin. Heck, let’s add Kevin Bahl and Oliver Wahlstrom while we’re at it. Take all the “ahl” players who look like they’ll be better than AHL players.

EDIT: Timrå won 2-0 today and once again, Dahlén was held off the scoresheet, despite 5 SOG and another attempt put wide. He only played 12:57 TOI, which is quite a bit below his season average.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Dahlén, Dahlin. Heck, let’s add Kevin Bahl and Oliver Wahlstrom while we’re at it. Take all the “ahl” players who look like they’ll be better than AHL players.

EDIT: Timrå won 2-0 today and once again, Dahlén was held off the scoresheet, despite 5 SOG and another attempt put wide. He only played 12:57 TOI, which is quite a bit below his season average.

I’m a Shameless fan so the name Kevin Bahl makes me want to draft him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Kevin Bahl is under rated ...even though he has been on the rise....I would take him with our 2nd...

Dahlen, Dahlin and Petterrson would make an unstoppable trio in OT...

And rename The organization "Vancouver Swedenucks"? :D

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Like 1