The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

Goldy has potential for sure and I hope he puts his game together to keep himself in the league.

With that said, even if he finds his defensive game I don't see him as the kind of player we really want.  I don't think he will never be a tenacious forechecker or physical presence that helps win playoff games.  Put short, he's soft.... like a less talented Nylander.  The kind of guy who could be paid a lot on his points but hurts you in other ways which lessens his actual value to the team and eats up too much cap space doing it.

Besides that, we already have Baertschi who HAS learned to play a better all around game and still has potential to get better.

What we really need on the left side imo is a guy with size who plays a hard game but can still score.  Thats why I was intrigued to hear we were interested in Ferland. I think he would be a good fit.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Goldy has potential for sure and I hope he puts his game together to keep himself in the league.

With that said, even if he finds his defensive game I don't see him as the kind of player we really want.  I don't think he will never be a tenacious forechecker or physical presence that helps win playoff games.  Put short, he's soft.... like a less talented Nylander.  The kind of guy who could be paid a lot on his points but hurts you in other ways which lessens his actual value to the team and eats up too much cap space doing it.

Besides that, we already have Baertschi who HAS learned to play a better all around game and still has potential to get better.

What we really need on the left side imo is a guy with size who plays a hard game but can still score.  Thats why I was intrigued to hear we were interested in Ferland. I think he would be a good fit.

Maybe Goldy is a better option than Baer, based solely on durability?  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Goldy is a better option than Baer, based solely on durability?  

Possibly.  Baertschi does have his concussion issues. But again, Goldy just isn't the kind of player that wins a hard playoff series, imo.  I would rather he succeed beside Pettersson, but then be used as a trade asset to bring in that kind of player or even a young guy who is on his way to being that player.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I don't think he will never be a tenacious forechecker or physical presence that helps win playoff games.  Put short, he's soft.... like a less talented Nylander.

Well said.

I want Goldobin to excel and prove himself, but it comes down to playoff hockey for me. I know Goldobin is skilled, but he is a bit soft and I'm not sure he would help the team in a playoff battle.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Possibly.  Baertschi does have his concussion issues. But again, Goldy just isn't the kind of player that wins a hard playoff series, imo.  I would rather he succeed beside Pettersson, but then be used as a trade asset to bring in that kind of player or even a young guy who is on his way to being that player.

We have zero of those players besides maybe Beagle....why is Goldy being singled out??

Winning teams need a mix of skill and grit, you don’t win in the playoffs with grit only, never have. 

I think Goldy can be effective if he develops a bit defensively and psychically. Wouldn’t mind a third line of Goldy - Gaudette - McEwen in a few years...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I see a Goldy that IS putting in the effort to do what the coaches are asking of him. I see him battling harder, staying creative, and hustling back.

Yup, last game was encouraging. He was moving his feet and pursuing the puck as he's been tasked with.

If he can do that more consistently, even with the occasional gaff, he has a spot on this team.

4 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

We have zero of those players besides maybe Beagle....why is Goldy being singled out??

Horvat,
Beagle,
Roussel,
Virtanen(just wait until playoffs for this kid, and I know its a prediction)
Gudbranson (was great for Florida in the Play-Offs)
Edler has been a beast in the playoffs for us before and seems to be having a great year. He's on pace for over 40.

We have unknowns like Pettersson etc... I bet Quinn joins in for the playoffs.

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

Horvat,
Beagle,
Roussel,
Virtanen(just wait until playoffs for this kid, and I know its a prediction)
Gudbranson (was great for Florida in the Play-Offs)
Edler has been a beast in the playoffs for us before and seems to be having a great year. He's on pace for over 40.

We have unknowns like Pettersson etc... I bet Quinn joins in for the playoffs.

Virtanen is not a playoff player, he will be a give away machine when pressured.

Horvat isn't proven either, but I'd agree he SHOULD be good.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Virtanen is not a playoff player, he will be a give away machine when pressured.

On the contrary, Horvat is proven. He was tied for the most points in our series against Calgary in 2015 and led the London Knights with 16 goals in 21 games when his team won the Memorial Cup in 2012-13.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shad0w4life said:

Your speculation is as good as mine when it comes to Virt, it's all predictions until we see him in the playoffs.

Horvat had 4 points in 6 games as a rookie in the playoffs. He's looked good so far.

• Upvote 3

Goldy has a lot of skill, but he’s not a hivkey plsyebr,,  he’s otretty, ant he’s not a hockey oksy.   LlY a beatsoen on the Loser.. gahaha.  LeFs are on their way to a first riund playoff.  The should have traded tir Hughes and Edler.  Hughes kills if!  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Goldy has a lot of skill, but he’s not a hivkey plsyebr,,  he’s otretty, ant he’s not a hockey oksy.   LlY a beatsoen on the Loser.. gahaha.  LeFs are on their way to a first riund playoff.  The should have traded tir Hughes and Edler.  Hughes kills if!  

Alfie... Are you having a stroke?  Should we call someone?

As for me focusing on Goldie... I agree that successful teams need a mix.  But they (we) need a rush line that wont get shut down and/or injured by being overpowered. As good as Petey is defensively, a line with Goldobin Petey and Boeser isn't ideal and I fear will get pushed around come crunch time. Who on that line would create havoc in front of the net?  Nobody. Space is at a premium and skill alone isn't always enough.

I think we have enough forwards overall that play hard.  Motte, Horvat, Beagle, Virtanen, Roussell, Sutter.  Its just who we have on the LW on our top line that worries me going forward.

For the record, I feel the same way about our D.  Gudbranson is heavy enough but really reduces our skill level when hes out there so he isnt ideal.  Edler is fine, but are we going to rely on Stecher and Hughes to withstand the rigors of the playoffs? I'm not even going to comment about how I feel Tanev is likely to fare. We need Teyamkin back in a big way.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup, last game was encouraging. He was moving his feet and pursuing the puck as he's been tasked with.

If he can do that more consistently, even with the occasional gaff, he has a spot on this team.

Very solid game by Goldy against Philly. 3 excellent scoring ops for himself and how many passes to line mates for scoring attempts? His passing on the PP was excellent. He even back checked a couple of times. I see no reason why Benning would want to move him right now. For long term tenure I do not know how well he would do in heavy playoff games. 

I thought Goldy's 2nd period was strong. I noticed Green was double shifting him a few times.

• Cheers 1

Goldobin has looked a little more engaged the last two games, but he's still on the outside looking in during his shifts. Pettersson and Boeser are battling hard all over the ice/along the boards, while Goldobin finds a nice, safe, open area, waiting for an outlet pass. It's going to take a while, but hopefully he progresses into a complete player one day.

Also saw Goldobin's Audi commercial and gotta say it's better than Pettersson's.  

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Stop looking at his passing, stick handling and shooting, it's no secret that he is good at all of those things.

He opts to be F2 or F3 on the forecheck when he should be F1, he doesn't stay on the defensive side of the puck and he's not quick to help outnumber the defender in certain battles along the boards and he simply just doesn't bare down hard enough, 80% of the time.

It's a work in progress. We're seeing more commitment from him, which is a good thing. Now it just needs to be consistent. Look at Virtanen. Patience goes a LONG way.

Yes, I know you think Virtanen is a bad pick and have next to nothing good to say about him. Improvement is what we want to see in a young player, yes?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Stop looking at his passing, stick handling and shooting, it's no secret that he is good at all of those things.

He opts to be F2 or F3 on the forecheck when he should be F1, he doesn't stay on the defensive side of the puck and he's not quick to help outnumber the defender in certain battles along the boards and he simply just doesn't bare down hard enough, 80% of the time.

I don't disagree.  I'm thankful we're not stuck paying Goldy 7 million per for the next decade, like some eastern team just did with a very similar player.