The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lack of interest in Miller good for Canucks

nickels

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So the pundits were correct on our last place finish.

- next year should be more of the same is a given.

Overpay a goalie to protect our young team?

4 million max for 1 year 

I'd say no, we should run with Markstrom for a full year to guarantee a 4th overall or better pick.  I believe with Markstrom we could see a couple 50-60pt seasons. 

We're overrating Miller by a lot here

He's not exactly lighting the world on fire, he's been steady but we're hardly hosed without him. We're a losing team either way. Save the cap space for something that helps the future and don't talk to me a mentoring unless you can list me the trail of great goalies Miller has mentored in his career.

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

We're overrating Miller by a lot here

He's not exactly lighting the world on fire, he's been steady but we're hardly hosed without him. We're a losing team either way. Save the cap space for something that helps the future and don't talk to me a mentoring unless you can list me the trail of great goalies Miller has mentored in his career.

Agreed, he has had some great stretches but nothing like an overall great season to re-sign at such a high cap hit. Not a fan of Markstrom but i would rather go with him and see what the young goalies are doing with NHL time. 

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Agreed, he has had some great stretches but nothing like an overall great season to re-sign at such a high cap hit. Not a fan of Markstrom but i would rather go with him and see what the young goalies are doing with NHL time. 

I don't know if Marky is equal or a slight downgrade but I think any time we can remove one of the old timer glass ceilings that impede the youth of this team, we should

If we were contenders I would think differently, of course 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Miller wanted off a sinking ship. He was playing better before the TDL

The schedule that's left is a killer Hairy,. I see one game we might win in regulation against the Av.

I agree Miller wanted off ship,. Desjardins has leaned on him hard, and Miller has kept us in games we should not have been.

This to the expense of Markstrom's development.

Miller deserved his shot at the Cup..   and a club in the playoffs is going to be disappointed that they did not grab him .

I look forward to seeing Markstrom getting his shot now,. at least every second game.. and this is Millers opportunity to show he can provide mentorship. Something he has not had the chance to really do this year.

Im sure Ryan Miller will get some solid offers as a UFA,.  But unless something in Colorado, Arizona, Anaheim, L.A., or San Jose opens up,. I think he might be content with signing here for 2 years, for less, same trade options (west coast).. and if I were him, try to work in bonuses for playing over 45 games, and or wins.

It's a "coy" suggestion, but if you can have control of a few things, take advantage.

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If we are going the veteran goalie route the Canucks should wait until the offseason to see what other goalies are available. There could be a glut of them.

Likely after the playoffs and before the expansion draft Fluery will be available.  He's still in his prime goaltending years and his contract is fair.  Vegas has to draft three goalies and if they don't move him Murray will be exposed and become their number one.  Calgary is a likely trading partner with Elliot not working out but Vancouver could be in the mix if Miller isn't resigned or gets an offer he can't refus elsewhere (Calgary?).  Bishop is also available and theres no way LA goes the Dallas route albiet with two better number one goalies.

43 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The schedule that's left is a killer Hairy,. I see one game we might win in regulation against the Av.

I agree Miller wanted off ship,. Desjardins has leaned on him hard, and Miller has kept us in games we should not have been.

This to the expense of Markstrom's development.

Miller deserved his shot at the Cup..   and a club in the playoffs is going to be disappointed that they did not grab him .

I look forward to seeing Markstrom getting his shot now,. at least every second game.. and this is Millers opportunity to show he can provide mentorship. Something he has not had the chance to really do this year.

Im sure Ryan Miller will get some solid offers as a UFA,.  But unless something in Colorado, Arizona, Anaheim, L.A., or San Jose opens up,. I think he might be content with signing here for 2 years, for less, same trade options (west coast).. and if I were him, try to work in bonuses for playing over 45 games, and or wins.

It's a "coy" suggestion, but if you can have control of a few things, take advantage.

He got his shot with St Louis to win the cup and disappointed the St Louis fan base and their management. No one was interested because of it...plus there were better goalies available. "reap what you sow" is the case here.

23 hours ago, Pete M said:

That's an opinion...

However, it would be nice to see Markstrom get more than 1 game every 3 weeks in order to prove your opinion right or wrong.

Last time Miller won a game was against Calgary...his win/ lose record isn't anything to write home about. Can't remember the last time he stole a game for us...the Calgary game the team played well in front of him and deserved the win.

I do remember Martin Jones winning/ stealing a game against the Canucks in Vancouver.

Not sure if letting three goals in on forty four shots is stealing a game....But last night is just like every other night Miller is in net...He gives the club a chance to win.   Offense saved this from another 3-2 loss on Millers as you put it, unimpressive record.

So here's a recent game for you to recall that we sucked less with Miller in the lineup.  

Just now, IBatch said:

Not sure if letting three goals in on forty four shots is stealing a game....But last night is just like every about like every other night Miller is in net...He gives the club a chance to win.   Offense saved this from another 3-2 loss on Millers as you put it is unimpressive record.

Just now, IBatch said:

Not sure if letting three goals in on forty four shots is stealing a game....But last night is just like every about like every other night Miller is in net...He gives the club a chance to win.   Offense saved this from another 3-2 loss on Millers as you put it is unimpressive record.

Look at Marky's record the win percentage is better than Miller's but you and I are going to see what we want to see. Miller had a good game last night...but there are games where he has let in softies that cost the game...I guess, I'll have to point those out to you because your love for and ageing goalie is getting in the way.

10 hours ago, smokes said:

Thus get rid of him and bring up Demko

Have you watched any Utica games this year? Demko needs time, his pro career has just started. Throwing him into the NHL when he is simply not ready is just a terrible idea. I can't believe people still want to rush players into the NHL when it clearly has not worked for the likes of Virtanen and McCann.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Look at Marky's record the win percentage is better than Miller's but you and I are going to see what we want to see. Miller had a good game last night...but there are games where he has let in softies that cost the game...I guess, I'll have to point those out to you because your love for and ageing goalie is getting in the way.

Lack also had good numbers here. 

On 05/03/2017 at 9:17 AM, Pete M said:

Markstrom should get his turn no doubt.  Miller did it again last night....

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Markstrom should get his turn no doubt.  Miller did it again last night....

He over played the shot in overtime...he was out of position...but let's ignore that.

It will happen again because he has a tendency to get out of position and can't get back in time to stop the puck whether it is a cross ice pass of a deflection. 

Granted it was a bad bounce, but if he was in position, he would have stopped it. I've seen this a dozen or more times with Miller in close games.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

He over played the shot in overtime...he was out of position...but let's ignore that.

It will happen again because he has a tendency to get out of position and can't get back in time to stop the puck whether it is a cross ice pass of a deflection. 

Granted it was a bad bounce, but if he was in position, he would have stopped it. I've seen this a dozen or more times with Miller in close games.

It's easy to criticize any goalies game after the fact and Miller is no exception.  I stand by my belief that he keeps us in games we have no business winning and is our MVP this season.  WD job is to win games despite the line-up so it's easy to under why Miller is getting the harder assignments and more games at this time he is simply outplaying Markstrom.  Again don't worry this can't and won't go on forever.  Miller is getting noticed and there is no absolute saying we will be the team to resign him.  

If he goes Markstrom will likely be our guy.  And we will likely get our shot at first overall next year.

Archived