The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Article: The Score's Mock Expansion Draft Protection Lists for teams in Pacific Div.

Beary Sweet

Just now, iinatcc said:

Well on it's own sure but keep in mind Vancouver also signed Loui Eriksson to that monster contract and in the long Vancouver has to re-sign Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Boeser, etc. 

Yes but he's only got a 2 year NMC - after next year they could hypothetically move him -ask him to waive, then after two more years (end of year 4 of the contract) he has a modified NTC (15 team list). So they aren't tied to him if he performs ok

And I don't see Louis as the type of guy  that if he scores 20 next year (plausible) and some team like Toronto or even Edmonton who wants a vet who can score is willing to trade for him, would say no. He seems happy go lucky and would play anywhere

36 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

I like gaunce and didn't know that about his advanced stats but just see his mobility and speed as holding him back. sure he's improved slightly there and still can (as we saw how much Bo has improved), but he just seems to be a 'clunky' skater  - I dont think its that hard to find 3/4th line solild players in the AHL/NHL and this guy is not a future selke winning player IMHO - I like him but replaceable in my view - ie Look at Chaput - in my view there's our next 3c

His defensive advance stats would be considered "elite". Selke level in shots against/60, and above average 1st line player in quality of shots against/60. His offensive advance stats are obviously pathetic, however one sticks out and that is shot generation/60. Those are 2nd line level. 

Basically Gaunce is the poster child for someone who thinks advance stats are meaningless. 

Those don't show the whole picture though. My eye test sees that when he is on the ice the team is not in trouble defensively and usually does something that generates an offensive play or has a zone entry/exit. He has a similar effect as Hansen did, where the team is better off with him on the ice.

I think it's worth protecting him even if we lose Sutter or a NMC guy who waives. Most of those players will be gone by the time this team is competitive anyway,  And Gaunce could still be a RFA. Personally I think Canucks need to stay as young as they can, And not lose young players who show some promise. 

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'm sure privately the Canucks have some regret for Louis Eriksson and his term. 

Hindsight is 20/20 though. 

They probably regret drafting for need over BPA which is what they did with Juolevi,McCann, and Virtanen.

Anyways they tabbed Sutter a foundation piece same with Erik Gudbranson. Despite the fact Sutter is not more than a third liner and Gudbranson is a third pair d at best by any measure and never hand any offensive upside going back to juniors.

They essentially traded a good 2nd line center in Kesler for a 3rd pair d man in Gudbranson. Not a great trade after all. I get their hands were tied but still.

So they have to protect Sutter and Gudbranson no matter what. Sbisa if they lose him for nothing will hurt but not as much as losing a Baertschi or Granlund.

Most draft lists (including Bob McKenzies,which is considered the standard) had Virtanen at around #7...so it wasn't really a stretch to draft him at #6..McCann was also rated much higher than where he was selected..so he was BPA

I the case of Joulevi,Tkachuk was clearly the #6 BPA....only time will tell if that was a mistake or not.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Well on it's own sure but keep in mind Vancouver also signed Loui Eriksson to that monster contract and in the long Vancouver has to re-sign Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Boeser, etc. 

I'm not concerned at all. Sedins =14m after next year. Markstrom certainly isn't in line to get Millers 6m either.

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Most draft lists (including Bob McKenzies,which is considered the standard) had Virtanen at around #7...so it wasn't really a stretch to draft him at #6..McCann was also rated much higher than where he was selected..so he was BPA

I the case of Joulevi,Tkachuk was clearly the #6 BPA....only time will tell if that was a mistake or not.

Joulevi needs to produce Erik Karlsson like numbers to justify saying Vancouver made the right pick. Tkachuk in his rookie year looks like is on pace for 50 to 55 points, if he can do that in his rookie year imagine what happens when he reaches his prime. 

Gaunce won't be protected. Think of the other teams' exposed players - their bottom-6 forwards will be much better than Gaunce, whereas if we leave Sutter unprotected he'll easily get snapped up. There's a chance if we expose our bottom players that they won't be taken at all because to be fair, there are 24 other better teams than us right now with far better depth players. Don't be strategic - expose our worst players.

Protect the Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi and two of Edler/Tanev/Sbisa and Markstrom. Try desperately to trade one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa for a top young center or forward. I'd be aiming for Tanev for a young center.

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1247561

According to The Score's published article, they have the Canucks protecting forwards Sedins and Eriksson (NMC), Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce and Bo. For defencemen, they have us projected to protect Edler, Tanev, Sbisa. For netminders, they obviously have Marky protected with Miller due a contract after this season.  I'm very happy with the list they have chosen for our team. Sure we're missing a few forwards that should be worth protecting like Boucher, Sutter and defenceman like Guddy, but what I like about this list is that it enables us to keep Gaunce who has some goal scoring potential and Sbisa who has grown into one of the most relied upon defenceman for the team this season. Also tough to expose Guddy who is very young and has an established career already all at the age of 24 but he hasn't produced enough that will make Vegas want him imo. Lots of people are going to hate on me on this but this is the right thing to do for the club moving forward. He's likely also going to demand top dollar so I could see Vegas passing on him. Imo, Vegas will choose between Sutter, Pedan and Guddy eventually ending up picking Pedan. They will pass on Guddy since he is a RFA. Really think they'll pass on Sutter due to his largely overpaid contract and go with Pedan imo. Vegas probably want to go young and Pedan will certainly help them build a foundation of their own.  He would not be a huge loss to the team thanks to our new profound depth in our back end but that's why we have the draft this year with free agency just around the corner shortly after to address these issues. I predict that Pedan will be the casualty because I read on Hockey News Magazine once that Vegas will pick Andrey somehow. it had my head shaking a bit at first but makes sense because he's young and we haven't really given him chance yet this season other than some parts of last season and with him going to Vegas, he will have every opportunity to prove that he is NHL ready. We're forced to also expose newly acquired waiver pick up Crammer, Biega but these players are easily replacable come the offseason and shouldn't be on Vegas' radar. Overall, I agree with the list they've made and hope that you do as well. GCG!

Obviously written by someone who doesn't actually watch the team. No chance that they moved McCann and then exposed Guddy, no chance, imo.  Sutter has turned the team from the bottom of the face off stats to the top half of the league and gets all the important draws, why in the world would they expose him?

Imo, it's Edler over Guddy and Gaunce over Sutter.......hopefully theyd take Edler and leave Gaunce alone, but who knows.  As much as I hate it, I expect Gaunce is in LV next season.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'll check it out. There was a guy who covers the Knights in London on 1040 today he said going back even he was shocked the Canucks took Juikevi with Tkachuk sitting there.

He said there is nothing flashy about Juolevis game. He said he is a smart well rounded guy good character.

Sounded like he said he will be a solid player like a Hamhuis top 4 d most of his career hover between 25-40 points a year.

Like I said I see him like an Olli Maata type once he bulks up a little. Dont thinks he's a STUD Good all round player like a young Hamhuis overall not flashy and not a true #1. Top 4 for sure likely ceiling as #2 in his prime.

Losing Hamhuis cost this team a Cup.  I'll take Hammer over Tkachuk all day long and Juolevi probably projects to be a bit better than Hamhuis.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Losing Hamhuis cost this team a Cup.  I'll take Hammer over Tkachuk all day long and Juolevi probably projects to be a bit better than Hamhuis.

I don't know what finals you were watching but not being able to score lost us the cup. 8 goals in 7 games I believe? 0 in game 7

Not that I'm on the Tkachuk train or anything but you may want to change your argument lol.

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

I don't know what finals you were watching but not being able to score lost us the cup. 8 goals in 7 games I believe? 0 in game 7

Not that I'm on the Tkachuk train or anything but you may want to change your argument lol.

Nope

Offense starts in the defensive zone.  

Interesting question is, why did we give Eriksson a NMC when we are already paying him top dollar and long term deal. If we thought ahead and planned for the expansion draft, we could now expose Eriksson and be home free. We even have talk of Benning being coined as our best GM ever... 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Joulevi needs to produce Erik Karlsson like numbers to justify saying Vancouver made the right pick. Tkachuk in his rookie year looks like is on pace for 50 to 55 points, if he can do that in his rookie year imagine what happens when he reaches his prime. 

Tkachuk could easily be only putting up 30-40 points in the coming years. 

38 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

It didn't help we couldn't keep the puck out of our net. Hamhuis would of helped in that regard.

51 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Tkachuk could easily be only putting up 30-40 points in the coming years. 

I doubt that happens until after his prime though. Nothing from comments from scouts and analysts say he's a one season wonder.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Losing Hammer was a real blow. Personally I thought it went further than just his injury:

Henrik - back

Kesler - shoulder & groin

Samuelsson - abdominal

Raymond  - back

Higgins broken foot

Malhotra - eye

Edler- broken fingers

Ehrhoff - shoulder

Hamhuis - hernia

Bieksa - knee

Rome - suspended

That's an awful lot to overcome.