The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Jam126 said:

Looks like they were playing sloppy more so than they're just too slow. I've seen them skate before, they can skate fast when they play well.

It was a mental thing tonight.  When we had that power play and the ducks chipped it down and Larsen and Hutton coasted back to get  it I knew the boys were a reasonable facsimile for this game.  No way a doughty or a Keith wastes seconds off a pp like that when down.

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Hah. Poor Edler. I've defended him for years. Literally years. Was biting my tongue until the season ended, but we're close enough now. I'm done with Edler. I support him while he's in the jersey, but it's quite fine if he isn't by next season.

I am merciless on him   but that is largely due to his unwillingness to waive his NTC to help the team.  It's not like he was a force for more than a season or two.  

I am sure his back issues have impacted his performance and that's unfortunate but he is simply not very good any more and his cap space could be used much better elsewhere.

Just now, riffraff said:

It was a mental thing tonight.  When we had that power play and the ducks chipped it down and Larsen and Hutton coasted back to get  it I knew the boys were a reasonable facsimile for this game.  No way a doughty or a Keith wastes seconds off a pp like that when down.

Disengaged.

24 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Cody Glass would be available at #5. Read up on him. Could be a very good prospect.  And he's got a cool name to boot. 

Almost 100 points this year as a 17 year old?

That's eyebrow-raising

Just now, Green Building said:

I'm only on the no to Patrick wagon. We'll need to hire another doctor specifically for him.

I don't know.  I don't write 17 or 18 year olds off because they've had an injury or two.

Is it really what defines him?

In PGI, WD was saying Edler's play was affected by not having Stecher around.

A 10-year veteran NHL defenceman getting rattled by not having his rookie partner...?

... yep, sounds just about right for Edler.

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

I am merciless on him   but that is largely due to his unwillingness to waive his NTC to help the team.  It's not like he was a force for more than a season or two.  

I am sure his back issues have impacted his performance and that's unfortunate but he is simply not very good any more and his cap space could be used much better elsewhere.

Since we're rebuilding the cap space doesn't bother me much. The only time it might hinder things is in his last year, if he remains. 

I don't think he's ever been asked to waive his clause, so I don't know where the unwillingness arises. 

------------

Edler re trade rumours in 2014:

"It's not something I think about. As long as Vancouver wants me, rumors mean nothing." 

The article points out that Edler is set to become a first-time father this summer, which could play into his desire to stay put in Vancouver. Still, he seems to understand that a no-trade clause only offers so much protection (see Garrison, Jason): "In the end, I get to decide [for myself]," Edler told Expressen, "but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you."

It was a good effort all in all. Obviously a poor start in the game with Perry, Eaves both potting one early. Then a comeback was basically ruled out when they scored in the final minute. Pretty good performances by the kids. They were hustling all night long and created chances. The Edler - Larsen pairing got lit up early and good thing Willie split that pairing up before things got out of hand. Boeser continues his hot start in his NHL career with a nice goal off a pretty feed and turnover forced by Sutter. Hutty, Tram continues to be solid defensively and didn't really cough up the puck much to the opposition. They created some good opportunities also. Sbisa, Tanev were steady like usual and kept the Ducks in check. Bo and his line were solid. They were energetic and tried to spark up the team but weren't able to get much going. Overall, the game was done after a period but the kids continued to play well and not let the score bother them. They worked hard and it's only a matter of time it will translate to more wins. GCG!

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I was thinking pass first, but there was a great screen in front so I just tried to fire it on goal." - Boeser, on his goal

9 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

That shows great poise for such a young player. Brock's the real deal. 

Also kudos to resisting the Temptation of Sedins -- "pass first, pass second, pass... pass... and finally... one last pass. That'll be all".

I watched Patrick play a few times. He is a big kid.

He is a smart player, glides around and is in good position, when he gets the puck or there is an open lane, he ups the intensity from 50 to 100.

Don't know how well that will translate in the NHL, he relies on his mates to get him the puck. 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know.  I don't write 17 or 18 year olds off because they've had an injury or two.

Is it really what defines him?

Well considering he has been injured in each of his last 5 seasons, and more than one of said injuries has been significant, it's a toss up between that, and how he plays when he isn't injured.

25 minutes ago, riffraff said:

No stecher exposed how slow our d is....to a man that is one sluggish group.

They aren't slow, they just all have Edleritis.

" Edleritis is an affliction most aptly described by the inability to process basic hockey plays in a timely manner. 
A common symptom of Edleritis is the unnecessary mental delay which precipitates a breakout play and/or pass. This symptom can also manifest itself in the offensive zone whereby a player receiving a pass needlessly hangs on to the puck instead of producing a shot on goal or otherwise creating a scoring play - inevitably leading to a take away by the opposing team.
Left untreated, Edleritis can be fatal. "

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Since we're rebuilding the cap space doesn't bother me much. The only time it might hinder things is in his last year, if he remains. 

I don't think he's ever been asked to waive his clause, so I don't know where the unwillingness arises. 

------------

Edler re trade rumours in 2014:

"It's not something I think about. As long as Vancouver wants me, rumors mean nothing." 

The article points out that Edler is set to become a first-time father this summer, which could play into his desire to stay put in Vancouver. Still, he seems to understand that a no-trade clause only offers so much protection (see Garrison, Jason): "In the end, I get to decide [for myself]," Edler told Expressen, "but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you."

Fair enough...Then he's just a liability, and perhaps not a trade holdout.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Say huh?

No to Patrick?

No to Glass?

What the hell was the point of tanknation again?

i dont consider myself part of the sad sack that calls themselves 'tanknation'

if the canucks draft patrick he has to let us reinforce his body with a little cold hard steel.

only way this goes down

Archived