The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, I'm running out of the energy it took to defend him. If only he could defend the net as much as I defended him, we'd have an all star. I give up.

As a top 4 defenceman he still has value though, it would be nice to get something instead of lose him for nothing say, at the expansion draft.

Absolutely would hate to lose him for nothing but can't see getting much with his age, salary and performance.  Exposing him to LV in order to protect one of our other D may be the most value we can get for him.

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I guess it's all I'm the definition like you said. To me the top centers in this draft are vilardi Mittlestadt patrick and Hischer

I don't know who's going to be the best out of that lot, but I'm a fan of Hischier. If we could somehow squeak up a few positions at the draft it'd be the best thing to happen all season.

I can't see Nico falling past 3rd.

9 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Absolutely would hate to lose him for nothing but can't see getting much with his age, salary and performance.  Exposing him to LV in order to protect one of our other D may be the most value we can get for him.

Yeah, I've been adamant about that move being a poor one all year, but now that we haven't moved a dman at the deadline it's an option that JB should have on the table. It's about what's best for the team, not Edler.

11 hours ago, darkpoet said:

They aren't slow, they just all have Edleritis.

" Edleritis is an affliction most aptly described by the inability to process basic hockey plays in a timely manner. 
A common symptom of Edleritis is the unnecessary mental delay which precipitates a breakout play and/or pass. This symptom can also manifest itself in the offensive zone whereby a player receiving a pass needlessly hangs on to the puck instead of producing a shot on goal or otherwise creating a scoring play - inevitably leading to a take away by the opposing team.
Left untreated, Edleritis can be fatal. "

The shots went in after elders mistakes and he takes the brunt of the brutal play by the entire team especially in the first.  As a group the team was pathetic defensively last night.  The ducks were freewheeling untouched through the shot last night and that is a reflection on all the forwards as well.  Just gross dzone play last night.

im not an edler fan but in no way was he responsible for last night on his own.  Wd should be held to task for putting Larsen out with him to start the game as well.  That's a complete joke of a decision.

11 hours ago, gobi said:

Even Hutton and Try?

Try struggles along with the rest. I thought Hutton looked out of it - no intensity.  We had a pp at the end of the first and the ducks dumped it out....Hutton and Larsen I believe just coasted back to retrieve the puck while seconds burned off the clock down two zip.  That's not NHL level mental involvement.

That was as poor a game as I have seen for a while.

Even allowing for the fact we struggled to get a foothold on the game I was so disappointed by the fact we were the architects of our own downfall. I saw none of the goals down to Miller but jeez our D and back checking forwards were just not in the zone.

Part of that was imo down to just such a mismatch in size.

Every now and then a game comes along that tears a bit of a hole in my optimism and recently we have had 2 games. The Jets and the Ducks were skilled - as skilled as we were but they were also BIG AND PHYSICAL.

There is of course the usual deja vu when I write this because it's as if I have written the same thing every year for-EVER.

I only hope this was a heads up to JB for the coming draft.

19 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

That was as poor a game as I have seen for a while.

Even allowing for the fact we struggled to get a foothold on the game I was so disappointed by the fact we were the architects of our own downfall. I saw none of the goals down to Miller but jeez our D and back checking forwards were just not in the zone.

Part of that was imo down to just such a mismatch in size.

Every now and then a game comes along that tears a bit of a hole in my optimism and recently we have had 2 games. The Jets and the Ducks were skilled - as skilled as we were but they were also BIG AND PHYSICAL.

There is of course the usual deja vu when I write this because it's as if I have written the same thing every year for-EVER.

I only hope this was a heads up to JB for the coming draft.

Oilers, Minny, Jets and Anaheim all have size. All played Van physically. Canucks have decent size on their d-core when healthy but with Guddy out they are not using it. Tanev, Larsen and Stecher are singled out for physical play by opponents. That has to change.

Vancouver forward group is no where near big enough. The smaller forwards have some talent but they cannot be the core moving forward. Smaller talent has to be slotted in as a offensive driver within a bigger group of talent.   

12 hours ago, 1-d said:

In PGI, WD was saying Edler's play was affected by not having Stecher around.

A 10-year veteran NHL defenceman getting rattled by not having his rookie partner...?

... yep, sounds just about right for Edler.

It was obvious that the Canucks were missing their transition game without Stecher...There was plenty more blame for poor play other than Edler IMO...Hutton and Tryamkin had poor efforts as well.....If Miller wasn't in net,the Ducks could've easily racked up the scoreboard.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Oilers, Minny, Jets and Anaheim all have size. All played Van physically. Canucks have decent size on their d-core when healthy but with Guddy out they are not using it. Tanev, Larsen and Stecher are singled out for physical play by opponents. That has to change.

Vancouver forward group is no where near big enough. The smaller forwards have some talent but they cannot be the core moving forward. Smaller talent has to be slotted in as a offensive driver within a bigger group of talent.   

That's why we should draft Vilardi if he's still available when we pick. Big and skilled centre. 

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

I said before that I'd be ok with a top pairing defenceman, but I haven't watched him play much lately. He's been slipping in the ranks though, and we desperately need another young center in the system.

I guess it depends how you define 'top'. There could still be one high ranked center on the board at 7th, maybe even Cody Glass. 7-12th certainly looks to be full of defence options.

I didnt mean that would be bad. I want liljegren. Im stoked on the kid. Thats the pick i hope we get. 

3 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

close to 27% chance we draft 6th -12th :ph34r:

12th???????

The lowest would be 8th. If we are in 4th and we will not go higher we can only drop 3 places. Vegas would move us to 5th. We might end up in 3rd.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

12th???????

The lowest would be 8th. If we are in 4th and we will not go higher we can only drop 3 places. Vegas would move us to 5th. We might end up in 3rd.

We can still move up in the standings before the end of the season. 

Besides, it was a joke.

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

was at the game the vets looked horrible only bright spots were tryamkin bo baertchi goldobin and boeser. tanev is positionally good but his shot is peewee level  edler and sedins mailing it in poor miller had no chance

Love watching the young kids showing the future is bright if we had Markstrom, Granlund, Stecher and Gaunce I really feel this team would be getting their fair share of wins down the stretch.

Without those players and watching the Sedins and Edler is beyond painful right now though. These guys are handing the puck over and botching the most simple plays like they're timbits level it's sickening really.

For next season Benning has to get rid of Edler there's no doubt about that he'll continue to set the team back every game and continue to make our goalies life miserable.

Regarding the Sedins current horrible level of hockey they're playing I'm actually hoping the Sedins know how bad they're playing and strongly considering retiring and going out before their even worse or Benning approaches them about going out the right way with pride and the Canucks organization set up a classy farewell for these 2 overall great people.

At this point this would be the right thing to do for everyone.

36 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We can still move up in the standings before the end of the season. 

Besides, it was a joke.

We don`t need any of this we can still win more games nonsense. LOL

I am not sure it matters too much anyway. Patrick can`t stay healthy and Hischier is not lighting it up in the playoffs. The best player may be someone between 3 and 12 anyway.

I wonder about players like  Tippett, Foote , Glass, and so on.

It is up to Benning to find the Gem.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We don`t need any of this we can still win more games nonsense. LOL

I am not sure it matters too much anyway. Patrick can`t stay healthy and Hischier is not lighting it up in the playoffs. The best player may be someone between 3 and 12 anyway.

I wonder about players like  Tippett, Foote , Glass, and so on.

It is up to Benning to find the Gem.

Yeah I mean my favorites are the consensus top 5

(Vilardi, Mittlestadt, Patrick,Hischier, Liljegren) 

But I trust benning. I questioned him when  he chose Boeser over Konecny and picked up Tryamkin. Won't be doubting him any time soon lol.

33 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I mean my favorites are the consensus top 5

(Vilardi, Mittlestadt, Patrick,Hischier, Liljegren) 

But I trust benning. I questioned him when  he chose Boeser over Konecny and picked up Tryamkin. Won't be doubting him any time soon lol.

I like Patrick but I do worry about his health. The rest I agree on. I think it would be best if we did not get a shot at Patrick because with our luck he will always be injured. I doubt Benning could pass on him.

Looking at the picks this year and I see that Vilardi , Patrick , Rasmussen and  Necas have or are dealing with major injuries. They should all fit in nicely with our injury prone club.

Archived