The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am waiting with nervous anticipation about who they hire. I just really hope it is not Green. I like him and he is a good coach but he is just more Willie imo.

I like Green as an assistant. I'd love to see a veteran NHL guy that has great game management skills and one who isn't afraid to limit the ice time of the guys who aren't producing.

2 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The next coach needs to stand up to the veterans, no being pushed around, the culture in the dressing room needs to change.

What veterans?  LOL.  That dictator Edler.  Really seems the type.  Or the me-first Sedins?   Tanev?  That about exhausts the veterans.  Which ones are the tyrants pushing the coaches around?

15 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Give you major props for staying consistent with what you believe. I think Aquilini made the call with his "the next great young team" tweet. He is a businessman first and foremost and in the absence of a playoff team, he at least wants to make sure we get more people in the seats. Right now, people want to see more and more of the young guys play. Even if they haven't earned it. Willie wants them to earn it first. Something had to give...

Unfortunately, your expectations are wrong on second one. They still have a lot on their list of demands:

• Trading even more vets for younger players
  • A new coach that makes sure young guys always get decent playing time
  • Not signing Ryan Miller to an extension
  • Exposing Sutter instead of Gaunce
  • Not signing "filler" guys like Megna
  • Trading Tanev, Edler, Sutter
  • Signing the Sedins to a cheap and short-term contract
  • Not signing Gudbranson to a long-term contract this year (something that JB wants)
  • Horvat as next year's first-line
  • Making Bo the Assistant Captain next season and the Team Captain within 2 years
  • Making sure Boeser, Goldobin, Baertschi, Horvat always gets power play time

Thanks, and agreed about Aqualini -- seems they are onboard and will be patient, as they need to be (as well as the rest of us).  That being said, the transition is going very well and faster than expected.  Indeed, what vets are left to move?  Sedins said they aren't leaving, which means Edler and maybe Tanev, who himself is only 27.  That is IT for the old 2011 team.

All gone.  In only two years.  And we have a lot of exciting young players either in the lineup or not far away.  But you also can't play Logan's Run and trade away every player over 25, unless you want a decade of Oilers-type floundering.  Even the Leafs went out and bought rentals this year, despite them doing less of a full rebuild than the Canucks have, and they still have veteran guys like JVR, Bozak, and Komarov around.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Of note - Doug Jarvis appears to remain.  Would be a good fit - and continuity - with Green?

With what Green has managed with that depleted Utica group this year - and that he waited and remained with our AHL franchise this long - when really, I think he's earned a shot - I'll be surprised if he isn't promoted.

I wish WD the best.  I hope he lands the job in Dallas if he wants it.   I don't think anyone could have made much more out of the paramedic unit that the Canucks were this year, but at the same time, it's a business, and the business side of the organization needs to sell change, sell hope, sell tickets - and there were just so many people eager to fire Desjardins.

I am not sure the Canucks will want to risk the optics of Willie 2.0. This hire will frame just how much rope management will have before they find themselves at the end of the noose.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The next coach needs to stand up to the veterans, no being pushed around, the culture in the dressing room needs to change.

Don't disagree.

But that shouldn't be the coach's role. Ideally, the GM should clean out the lot of them first.

The twins are still running the team as if they're star players. I'm sure they had a huge say in signing Erickson but just as Chiarelli traded Hall to set the table for the new captain and leaders of the team, JB must do the same for this team to move forward.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Those two playoff appearances in 2012 and 2013 were equally embarrassing. Some players are built for the playoffs and some aren't. Funny how almost every player the Canucks traded since Benning took over is in the playoffs, minus Garrison.

Duncan Kieth's elbow and a beaten and broken Kesler did us in, in 2012.

But I will agree that by 2013, the writing was on the wall. Hence the start of rebuilding moves like trading for what would become Horvat. 

Greener please!

I would be upset but would eventually be ok with Gallant.  but Greener is the guy I want.  :) he can grow with the team.

He's honest and holds people accountable.  He has gotten everything he can out of Jake.  I give props to Green for jakes physical transformation.

IMG_1395.JPG.55c59b9a5471eb2e547743bad0a\\^^

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

Don't disagree.

But that shouldn't be the coach's role. Ideally, the GM should clean out the lot of them first.

The twins are still running the team as if they're star players. I'm sure they had a huge say in signing Erickson but just as Chiarelli traded Hall to set the table for the new captain and leaders of the team, JB must do the same for this team to move forward.

Hitch as head coach for one or two seasons, with Green as a co-head coach?   Then Green takes over?

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not sure the Canucks will want to risk the optics of Willie 2.0. This hire will frame just how much rope management will have before they find themselves at the end of the noose.

yeah - I know what you think wallstreet - but I have no regard for your attempt to reduce Green based on nothing but an impression and your penchant for reductive stories.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

he is just more Willie imo.

This is ignorant and uninformed.  

Give the man some respect - maybe even a chance.  He's earned it and doesn't deserve to be railroaded - he's not responsible for anything anyone else does.  He's his own man.

Just now, oldnews said:

What veterans?  LOL.  That dictator Edler.  Really seems the type.  Or the me-first Sedins?   Tanev?  That about exhausts the veterans.  Which ones are the tyrants pushing the coaches around?

The general culture. I don't know where it comes from but the one constant since the playoffs in 2011 has been the Sedins in that the stance seems to be that it is ok to get bullied and pushed around, turn the other cheek because we'll get them on the powerplay. The only thing is, we don't get anyone on the powerplay. Sedins get consistent first line pp time and successfully kill the first 90 seconds of the pp. I'm not sure if this is the coaches decision or the players but it hasn't changed for years so your guess is as good as mine.

8 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

For the most part I agree. The difference I notice is that when a player performs well, Green tends to reward them immediately whereas WD seems to ask for a handful of consecutive strong performances to reward them. 

One final comment on this subject.  I'm fairly well certain that if Markstrom didn't get hurt and Bachman being called up Demko would have been watching with a ball cap on about 70% of the time down the stretch.  I say that because before Bachman got called up he played in 10 of 12 games.  To be fair Demko missed two games early during that stretch because he was sick and the Comets had to sign a goalie on a PTO for a weekend but Green admitted in an interview that he stayed with Bachman after because he got hot and the team was winning.  It turned into a self fulfilling prophecy because Thatcher was so rusty from such little work that he didn't have a good game when he did play which lead to another stretch of Bachman starts.  The best thing that happened was Bachman getting called up which allowed Demko to play often enough to get into a rhythm.   Again this mirrors the usage of the veteran goalie by Willie in Vancouver but the NHL is not a development league so Willie is chartered to win.  The AHL is a development league so Travis is chartered to develop. 

Just now, J.R. said:

Duncan Kieth's elbow and a beaten and broken Kesler did us in, in 2012.

I don't see the Canucks even with a healthy Kesler, and a non-elbowed Daniel getting past the Kings. LA, and Sutter especially, knew that in order to win, all he had to do was get the Kings to rough up the Canucks, especially the top line, and shoot from everywhere. It worked.

Just now, J.R. said:

But I will agree that by 2013, the writing was on the wall. Hence the start of rebuilding moves like trading for what would become Horvat. 

Yeah, but different veterans should have been approached to waive their clauses, in my humble opinion.

Bush league move by Willie to challenge that 3rd goal last game and potentially screw the Canucks draft position.

I hope that little STUNT costs him any chance of another NHL head coaching job.........

Although probably the job he did this year alone would rule out him getting another head job in the NHL.

Sad to see Lidster get let go.  Real solid local ( kamloops )  guy.. him and his wife....   . met him at my sisters wedding....      

Archived