The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I'm most interested to see who they replace him with. 

WD was by no means perfect but he was developing kids well and getting full effort most nights. His replacement needs to do that AND improve upon his his weakness in strategy.

I would like to hear the new coach (whomever it is) speak publicly about the pain we need to experience with playing youth, and to have that supported by management. This statement at the start of every season that we are a playoff team, who can get 100 points is fake news.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I want more '94 finals team and less '11 finals team.

The '94 team left it all on the ice and battled for everything they got. I was proud of them despite the disappointment. The '11 team I was actually embarrassed more than disappointed.

Game 7 in 2011 was the most one-sided, deflating playoff game I've ever witnessed. Time to turn the page on that era.

Good lord, and so it begins...

Clearly there was no alignment between the coaches and management as to how this team needs to be handled. Good luck to Willie and Co. in future endeavours. 

I can't believe this is the state we're in. Total disarray. Going to be years before we are a threat again :( 

I think Willie did some good thing in Vancouver, and had to work with a limited toolbox, but we had to move on.   Last year was a disappointment, in every way, this year, despite finishing with a worst record, I feel we took a step forward.  Changing of the guard is coming, with our kids getting more productive.  Willie wouldn't have been the coach when this team gets competitive again, so why waste another year with him.  Let the new coach built on the progress we have made and hopefully we'll get over the hump and be more competitive next year and challenge for a playoff spot. 

Hopefully we don't panic and hire Ruff or Hitchcock.  They are not the solution to a rebuild, they probably won't be interested in it either.

34 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Would you be saying the same if the Canucks won the draft lottery in the last two years? A Laine, Matthews, McDavid would look nice. That didn't happen. Banning is making the right choices and is heading in the right direction. Can't push the eject button half way through. "It's a process"

Simply consider -- what would the team have looked like with an extra 40 goals (Matthews/Laine) this year, had they won one of those two picks for which they had THIRD-best odds to get?  Even by simple math, that puts them at -21 for the season, which would have probably translated to where Winnipeg, Philly, and Carolina finished -- 87 points, but not that far out of the playoffs.

Alain Vigneault - Successful with New York post-Canucks

John Tortorella - Successful with Columbus post-Canucks

Willie Desjardins - Successful with _____ post-Canucks (?)

Easy scapegoat but I really don't think coaching has been our problem.

Unfortunately, Willie was in a no-win situation. The team wasn't going to win, period. His job was too bring young players along and I think all-in-all he did a decent job with that. The losing looked like it was wearing very hard on Willie and cutting him loose was a Good Samaritan act by Jim and Trevor. A good man in a bad spot.

25 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Travis Green is very similar to Willie in his use of kids with reduced playing time and a demand for being defensively responsible before he trusts a kid with more responsibility.  The guys that he trusts the most in Utica tend to be AHL vets, many on AHL contracts, rather than Vancouver prospects on NHL deals.  The guys on AHL contracts such as Darren Archibald, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks, Colby Robak etc give Green the best chance of winning and are the players he trusts the most when there is a critical spot in the game.  Players like Jordan Subban are never on the PK and often see little ice late in a close game.

Sound familiar?

Considering this, it's kind of funny how Green expects to get a head coach gig right away in the NHL rather then stepping in as an assistant first. 

31 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I wasn't saying I want Benning or Linden fired. Benning largely wasted his first few years here trying to put a band aid on a broken leg but seems to get it now. He needs to get an NHL ready player with that high pick though. He has bombed with his early picks so far.

Nonsense.  For one, he's only finishing his third year.  The first year he traded Kesler and forced out Garrison, and essentially gave the old core one last kick at the can.  When they failed, the rebuild began in earnest.  We are now only two years into it yet almost fully transitioned.

30 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

if Sutter was to become available...would yah???

I would.  He didn't win two Cups by accident.  Plus he has a weird pattern where if he doesn't win the Cup, he misses the playoffs altogether and gets you a decent draft pick.

He might also light a bit of a fire under Brandon and shore up the areas where he isn't QUITE playing with Sutter intensity.

And people forget that Darryl Sutter scored 40 goals as a rookie.  He might be just the guy to put Boeser in that direction if he remembers how he was deployed.

2 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Such a stupid decision, the coaching carousel keeps spinning.

How many more are we going to go through before they realize coaching isn't the problem?

He will now probably do the same as AV and Torts and be successful with another team while the Canucks stay in the basement

Three years was enough time for a Coach to prove himself at this level.

Just as players can be "lifetime AHL'rs" .. so can Coaches be.

1 minute ago, NHL'er said:

Time will tell. Willie did some real good things when he was here, some questionable things, but his heart was always in the right place.

I just hope management continues with the turning of the page. 

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Unfortunately, Willie was in a no-win situation. The team wasn't going to win, period. His job was too bring young players along and I think all-in-all he did a decent job with that. The losing looked like it was wearing very hard on Willie and cutting him loose was a Good Samaritan act by Jim and Trevor. A good man in a bad spot.

But don't you think Benning knows that? Clearly they didn't have confidence in his ability to develop the team further. Benning called up a F prospect for last nights game and Willie pulls a boner move and plays Larsen as a F. If that was Willie saying he's going to do things "his way", then good riddance.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I want more '94 finals team and less '11 finals team.

The '94 team left it all on the ice and battled for everything they got. I was proud of them despite the disappointment. The '11 team I was actually embarrassed more than disappointed.

Agreed. The '94 team had a little bit of everything. The '11 team was a bit of a one-trick pony.

3 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Stars aren't bringing Ruff back so maybe he goes there

Archived