The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

53 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

Which players are these?  I doubt they are elite prospects as we seem to be short on them.  Since he is in the hunt for the playoffs adding fringe AHL players to your lineup doesn't really make sense.  

Youthful enthusiasm can get you goal in a game where you are down one do yourself a favour go and read the last 10 pages of the Utica comets in the prospects forum.

10 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Youthful enthusiasm can get you goal in a game where you are down one do yourself a favour go and read the last 10 pages of the Utica comets in the prospects forum.

Thank you for that recommendation. I will get right on that.  

On 2017-04-10 at 11:42 AM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Now that the Canucks have relieved Willie Desjardins of his coaching duties, who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

New poll choices may be added if demand suggests it. Explain your choice and discuss below.

Please keep discussion here based around the next head coach and not about Willie Desjardins.

Discussion about the coaching or firing of Willie Desjardins should be done here:

Edit: I added a couple more options along with the ability to vote for more than one option to make it fair that I added more after the fact.

What about Dave Lowry: 

http://victoriasportsnews.com/will-dave-lowry-be-named-as-the-vancouver-canucks-head-coach/

In that presser for Willie yesterday, IMO without saying his name, Trev pretty much implied that Travis would be the guy.

Just a hunch. But if you listened to what he was saying, things like "NHL coaching experience not necessarily a requirement", or "We want a coach who understands where we are as a team right now and can grow with the team". There were a couple other things he said which I can't remember right now but it sure did sound like Travis is who they were talking about.

Between coaching search, draft lottery and the draft, will be a fun few months.

On 10/04/2017 at 7:48 PM, Brad Marchand said:

The fans.

That way, every player gets to play on the exact line the fans want for the exact amount of ice time the fans want. The system will be exactly how the fans want even though they have no clue what details go into it. Not to mention the young players will get to make all the mistakes they want and the veterans will get punished for making any, exactly as the fans want.

Hahahaha +1, best post of the day :lol::lol::lol:

You got my vote 

Did a write up on Reddit on why Green shouldn't be the next coach for the canucks. I'll post it here.

-----------------

Sorry for the blunt title, but as someone who has watched Travis Green run Utica for the last 3 years I feel like I have some insight on Travis Green and why he frankly isn't the right man for the job. I know this will probably be a controversial topic, especially since Travis Green seems to be the front runner for the job. I'll do my best to try to explain my side here.

In 2014-15, Travis Green got 3 new players from the minors. Hutton, McCann, Virtanen, out of these 3 players only 2 got ice time, and only 1 played a playoff game for the Comets.

Hutton, who made the team out of training camp, was sent back after 4 games after scoring a goal and being +2. Green said he needed to be stronger. Apparently, Hutton however after a few months ended up making the team. Hutton had the ability to play in about 10 regular season games. Instead Travis Green, relied on his veterans like Negrin and Ehrhart.

McCann, after coming back from a series against Erie against the Otters McCann was sent to Utica, he did not play a single game. Instead Travis Green decided to "judge players by how they did in practice". McCann didn't make the Utica team, he did however make the canucks the next season. In 05-08, the comets basically played 2 games in one night, at the time I commented on Travis Green's deployment saying:

Quote:
This playoff series Zaweleski has been invisible. You have the perfect opportunity to sub in a spark plug like McCann that has a really good scoring touch. But he refuses and plays Zaweleski again, and again Zaweleski is a completely non-factor. It seems like he isn't really changing up his lineup and using the depth that he has at his exposal. Utica basically played 2 games in 1 night, everyone is exhausted why not use your depth to sub some guys in. I don't understand.

Virtanen, after sitting on the bench and being "judged in practice" Virtanen finally made his debut and he was a positive addition to the team.

Onto some other prospects, I know Shinkaruk isn't the best prospect out there but there was a reason why people were pissed he was leaving. Sure he has problems producing in the NHL. His game hasn't transferred over from the AHL to the NHL. Part of the reason is because frankly, he wasn't utilized well by Travis Green at all, he used him as a bottom 6 forward for his entire first year despite scoring goals. In his second year he was still put next to grinders and getting benched.

Compare that to Goldobin, who on his team almost saw 20 minutes of ice time. Travis Green barely trusted Shinkaruk with 14, even when he was lighting the lamp every other night. This is not a good sign of being able to develop a player. Players need to play to develop.

Clendenning, again, I know that he basically busted. But this was a guy fresh from a 1st team AHL all-star season. And Green plays Sanguinette over Clendenning on the 1st unit, despite Clendenning being basically only down there to develop a bit more so he can step in and be the power play guy in Vancouver. Him getting 2nd grade power play time did not help his development. Instead Travis Green stuck with his vets and didn't give the young guy a chance.

To give you guys reference this is what I said in 5-16-2015 in the playoffs.

Quote:
These were last games lines

Baertschi-O'Reilly-Grenier

Jensen-Friesen-Conacher

Gaunce-Hamilton-Bancks

Shinkaruk-Zalewski-DeFazio

Ehrhardt-Biega

Andersson-Sanguinetti

Huskins-Clendening

If you are wondering to yourself why Shinkaruk is playing next to AHL grinders I have no idea. Shinkaruk is tied for the most goals in the playoffs (on utica) with Gaunce, Clendening, Grenier.

Clendening is playing 3rd pairing defense (lol), Gaunce is playing on the 3rd line (lol), Shinkaruk is playing on the 4th line (lol), Grenier is the only player is playing where he is supposed to.

I really don't understand why we just don't send Shinkaruk back to Medicine Hat where he'll get to play 24 minutes +, instead of playing him 12 minutes + in the AHL. What's the point of a AHL team at all if we are going to play our top 6 or bust prospects like Shinkaruk next to AHL grinders in the first place.

Clendening is supposed to be on the team next year is getting played on the 3rd pairing in the AHL. Like why? This guy is a first team all-star AHLer and we are playing him on the 2nd unit power play and 3rd pairing defense in our farm team? That doesn't make any sense.

You can see that even in 2014-15 where Green got most of his notoriety of being a potential next head coach, there were some SERIOUS problems with his deployment and his over reliance on his vets.

I could go on more and talk about his other deployments but I think I've made my point rather loud and clear. To me, if we were to replace Willie with Green we are going to run into the exact same road blocks. As many of you know, Willie over relied on veterans and favored them over young players in roles that should be occupied by prospects.

Well, as I've outlined, Green has the exact same problem in that regard. Also, you have to ask yourself who has Green developed in his years in Utica. Which prospect has flourished and progressed? I'd say maybe only Baertschi.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the whole Travis Green thing. I hope I didn't bore you guys to death with the wall of text, cheers.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

In that presser for Willie yesterday, IMO without saying his name, Trev pretty much implied that Travis would be the guy.

Just a hunch. But if you listened to what he was saying, things like "NHL coaching experience not necessarily a requirement", or "We want a coach who understands where we are as a team right now and can grow with the team". There were a couple other things he said which I can't remember right now but it sure did sound like Travis is who they were talking about.

Between coaching search, draft lottery and the draft, will be a fun few months.

yeah, i got that impression as well.

17 minutes ago, WTG said:

Did a write up on Reddit on why Green shouldn't be the next coach for the canucks. I'll post it here.

-----------------

Sorry for the blunt title, but as someone who has watched Travis Green run Utica for the last 3 years I feel like I have some insight on Travis Green and why he frankly isn't the right man for the job. I know this will probably be a controversial topic, especially since Travis Green seems to be the front runner for the job. I'll do my best to try to explain my side here.

In 2014-15, Travis Green got 3 new players from the minors. Hutton, McCann, Virtanen, out of these 3 players only 2 got ice time, and only 1 played a playoff game for the Comets.

Hutton, who made the team out of training camp, was sent back after 4 games after scoring a goal and being +2. Green said he needed to be stronger. Apparently, Hutton however after a few months ended up making the team. Hutton had the ability to play in about 10 regular season games. Instead Travis Green, relied on his veterans like Negrin and Ehrhart.

McCann, after coming back from a series against Erie against the Otters McCann was sent to Utica, he did not play a single game. Instead Travis Green decided to "judge players by how they did in practice". McCann didn't make the Utica team, he did however make the canucks the next season. In 05-08, the comets basically played 2 games in one night, at the time I commented on Travis Green's deployment saying:

Quote:
This playoff series Zaweleski has been invisible. You have the perfect opportunity to sub in a spark plug like McCann that has a really good scoring touch. But he refuses and plays Zaweleski again, and again Zaweleski is a completely non-factor. It seems like he isn't really changing up his lineup and using the depth that he has at his exposal. Utica basically played 2 games in 1 night, everyone is exhausted why not use your depth to sub some guys in. I don't understand.

Virtanen, after sitting on the bench and being "judged in practice" Virtanen finally made his debut and he was a positive addition to the team.

Onto some other prospects, I know Shinkaruk isn't the best prospect out there but there was a reason why people were pissed he was leaving. Sure he has problems producing in the NHL. His game hasn't transferred over from the AHL to the NHL. Part of the reason is because frankly, he wasn't utilized well by Travis Green at all, he used him as a bottom 6 forward for his entire first year despite scoring goals. In his second year he was still put next to grinders and getting benched.

Compare that to Goldobin, who on his team almost saw 20 minutes of ice time. Travis Green barely trusted Shinkaruk with 14, even when he was lighting the lamp every other night. This is not a good sign of being able to develop a player. Players need to play to develop.

Clendenning, again, I know that he basically busted. But this was a guy fresh from a 1st team AHL all-star season. And Green plays Sanguinette over Clendenning on the 1st unit, despite Clendenning being basically only down there to develop a bit more so he can step in and be the power play guy in Vancouver. Him getting 2nd grade power play time did not help his development. Instead Travis Green stuck with his vets and didn't give the young guy a chance.

To give you guys reference this is what I said in 5-16-2015 in the playoffs.

Quote:
These were last games lines

Baertschi-O'Reilly-Grenier

Jensen-Friesen-Conacher

Gaunce-Hamilton-Bancks

Shinkaruk-Zalewski-DeFazio

Ehrhardt-Biega

Andersson-Sanguinetti

Huskins-Clendening

If you are wondering to yourself why Shinkaruk is playing next to AHL grinders I have no idea. Shinkaruk is tied for the most goals in the playoffs (on utica) with Gaunce, Clendening, Grenier.

Clendening is playing 3rd pairing defense (lol), Gaunce is playing on the 3rd line (lol), Shinkaruk is playing on the 4th line (lol), Grenier is the only player is playing where he is supposed to.

I really don't understand why we just don't send Shinkaruk back to Medicine Hat where he'll get to play 24 minutes +, instead of playing him 12 minutes + in the AHL. What's the point of a AHL team at all if we are going to play our top 6 or bust prospects like Shinkaruk next to AHL grinders in the first place.

Clendening is supposed to be on the team next year is getting played on the 3rd pairing in the AHL. Like why? This guy is a first team all-star AHLer and we are playing him on the 2nd unit power play and 3rd pairing defense in our farm team? That doesn't make any sense.

You can see that even in 2014-15 where Green got most of his notoriety of being a potential next head coach, there were some SERIOUS problems with his deployment and his over reliance on his vets.

I could go on more and talk about his other deployments but I think I've made my point rather loud and clear. To me, if we were to replace Willie with Green we are going to run into the exact same road blocks. As many of you know, Willie over relied on veterans and favored them over young players in roles that should be occupied by prospects.

Well, as I've outlined, Green has the exact same problem in that regard. Also, you have to ask yourself who has Green developed in his years in Utica. Which prospect has flourished and progressed? I'd say maybe only Baertschi.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the whole Travis Green thing. I hope I didn't bore you guys to death with the wall of text, cheers.

I thank you for this posts I've also seen other Utica fans questioning his coaching decisions I'm also thinking he may have derailed some of these guys careers by not giving them a fair chance.

Archived