The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

I think this team honestly needs a bit more of a veteran coach. Enough rookie coaches for rookie players. We need some experience in this management and someone who will buy into what JB and TL want to do with the team. Too much dissonance between WD and management lead to a mess on the ice and his dismissal.

Ruff is interesting, Therrien is worth a think, Sutter and Hitchcock would be lovely. Those 4 guys would turn this team into a marginal playoff team. Gallant and Crawford are wild-cards and could go either way, although I prefer Gallant with a young team similar to what he did in Florida (his firing was uncalled for, that was the management's fault blowing up their defence) and I don't like Crawford as a coach, he's done here.

15 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Am I the only person that voted Hitchcock? lol

He's got a ton of experience as an NHL head coach, won a Cup (with Dallas) and Gold at the 2014 Olympics (as A/Coach) and he wouldn't put up with lazy play. He doesn't explode like Torts, but he gets his point across. Might be a bit on the old side, but who cares, he's not a player. The young guys needs direction and someone to teach them how to compete. Green might struggle as a rookie.

I would be happy with him too, but he's 66 and said he wants to retire.

15 hours ago, Davathor said:

Yeah... we are that far away bud. How many legit top 6 forwards do we have? 3? One when the Sedins retire? Plus Miller likely signing with a better team.... I think you should prepare yourself for another couple seasons of stinking up the league. Many people on here think every rookie is going to turn gold for us and run the show next year, but we'll be lucky if half become legit for us, the other half will likely be AHL bound.

Mark my words, we're a bottom 5 team next season.

Why send any of the rookies down, we are gunna need me if we only have 3 legit forwards!

I don't see many veteran coaches being interested in a role where they have to accept that they're playing for the future and development is a higher priority than wins. veteran coaches know they have a limited number of kicks at the can to try to win and most of them will try to choose an opportunity where they can see that on the horizon.

i suspect the canucks will end up with travis green or another ahl/college/chl coach. 

I personally think travis green with doug jarvis and perhaps mike johnston if he can be lured back out of portland to run the offence would be a good mix of young and progressive, experienced and savvy, and development oriented. 

13 hours ago, Davathor said:

Acrually I like the idea of Crow/Green. Maybe Hitch isn't the best coach to raise youngsters... but I am fully against another rookie head coach.

For me Hitch is just so defensive minded and it will always be UGH, I don't know how much more of this I can take . . .

If not Travis Green than somebody like Todd Rierden should get the call. I want somebody progressive who plays an up tempo, puck possession game- but most importantly with a young team is we get somebody who is a good teacher.

I went with Gallant.  Florida was great with him at the helm (of course having Luongo as a goalie wasn't such a bad thing either... sigh).

And there is still that nagging feeling that no head coach (not named Bowman) has won the cup with 2 different teams (so this means Sutter, Crawford, Hitchcock).  Which means that any of those guys would be a temporary guy that will get the kids to be responsible, and grow into contenders before we fire him and get the guy to put us over the top.  Or we hope that history does not repeat itself (or whatever encouraging words that would make sense to convey that it can be done).

Another thought is we need someone who doesn't have a history of losing lots of guys to injury.  It's one thing to have a coach that players want to play hard for (WD), but I remember years ago there was a Kings coach (Andy Murray I think), and they had a ton of injuries.  He got fired, and went to the Blues and sure enough, they had a ton of injuries.  Might not be as coincidental when you have your players playing hard and sacrificing their bodies too much for the coach.

As for Green, I'm sure he would have his hands full with our team, and the rebuild might be expedited with a high draft pick in 2018.

4 hours ago, Sweathog said:

I'd go with Sutter as my 1st Choice. 

A Sutter-Benning conversation would be something you could sell tickets to.

Two of the slowest talkers in the league with equally heavy farmboy accents and unmasked, complete and open honesty. Could you imagine??

31 minutes ago, Bure fan said:

I'm going with Crawford, Hitchcock (Dallas might steal him), or ..

Sutter. 

Brandon Sutter is his nephew, no? 

Wouldnt be the canucks if we didn't keep the coach's favorites (e.g. Rome, Magna)  going. 

I'd bet (with the possible exception of Goldy) that the player Sutter goes hardest on is Sutter.

Archived