The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Anyone know what Hitch and Gallant signed for $$ money wise?

Haven't seen anything yet.

But head coach salaries are getting crazy now. Used to average around a $1 million a year maybe five years ago and gradually increased to around $2 million in recent years. But since Babcock got his $6+ million per season deal, several coaches have enjoyed huge raises on their extensions, and now $4-5 million is looking like what many veteran NHL head coaches could be expecting starting 2017-18 and going forward.

Based on head coach salaries for 2017-18, I'd expect both Hitchcock and Gallant to be getting at minimum $2 million and quite possibly something in the $3-5 million per season range. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

Dineen please

Won a cup w Chicago

Hell of a gritty player in his career

Learning from one of the best coaches in the world for the last 3 years

Ready for a new Head Coaching Job

Love Green but do think the hype of him being great with kids is overrated - who has he REALLY developed for us so far? Gaunce? I know he's not had alot to work with but we haven't even got a 'surprise'

Pedan regressed

Subban flatlined

Cassels still trying to find his way

No one has really been 'made' better by him and Guance is kind of just what we expected -4th line guy who tries hard.

Just don't see a real resume there vs hype and a decent AHL coach.

16 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Dineen please

Won a cup w Chicago

Love Green but do think the hype of him being great with kids is overrated - who has he REALLY developed for us so far? Gaunce? I know he's not had alot to work with but we haven't even got a 'surprise'

Pedan regressed

Subban flatlined

No one has really been 'made' better by him and Guance is kind of just what we expected -4th line guy who tries hard.

Dineen a gold with woman's Canada too.

seems like a good guy.

56 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Dineen please

Won a cup w Chicago

Pedan regressed

Subban flatlined

Dineen also took the Panthers to the Southeast Division Title and first post-season appearance in 12 years in his first year and after being named team Canada woman's team coach just a few weeks before the Sochi Olympics, led the team to a Gold medal. So Dineen should certainly be someone you'd think the Canucks would talk to.

As for Green's development of the players noted, could it not be possible that Gaunce, Pedan and Subban do not have a next level and are really just fringe NHL players that don't really have much more upside.

Sincere question, as I don't think he's been given really any stud prospects to develop (other than Virt if you consider him a stud prospect).

If for some god awful reason we sign Sutter or Hartley I will be choked.

Only scenario we do not sign Green is if he has a better offer (More Money + Better Team = Better Lifestyle + Career Opportunity)

Florida could be interested. He would have a team closer to competing for a cup, better weather, and American money in tax friendly Florida.

16 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

John Stevens is a name that hasn't been brought up much. Not saying he will be in the mix but wasn't there talk about him when we hired Torts or Willie?

He is the 1 guy on LA's / Rob Blake's list - Blake's words.  It's his job to lose. If they don't run into a roadblock over philosophy or who knows what, Stevens appears all but hired in LA.

I'm quite happy with the news that the Canucks have been talking to Dave Lowry.

Lowry has more than earned a step up to the next level - whether we hire Green for the Canuck's HC position and Lowry for the AHL franchise (which hopefully we can complete a move to Western Canada sooner than later - sorry Utica, you are awesome but you're just too far away) - or whether the Canucks assemble a team of Green, with Jarvis and Lowry as assistants - I'd be thrilled if they bring him on board.

Lowry gets a lot out of his rosters.  The improvement of the Royals has been very impressive and never really hinged on having high levels of talent through the lineup.  He is a no-nonsense coach who commands respect and hard work out of his players, on and off the ice.   I think he'd be great for the type of identity/work ethic and tight systems the team is looking to build.   The Royals are a real pleasure to watch on a number of levels.

If they can retain Green and add Lowry, imo that would be a great result - and in line with where the franchise stands = looking to snatch up and coming talent.

2 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I know he's been relegated out of the league but for the building we need to do I still say Ted Nolan. You need a teacher behind the bench for the kids.

Kool ave and I totally agree with your choice ..... big thumbs up

2 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I know he's been relegated out of the league but for the building we need to do I still say Ted Nolan. You need a teacher behind the bench for the kids.

I love Nolan - honestly hadn't thought of him - he'd be one of the guys I'd consider for sure.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm quite happy with the news that the Canucks have been talking to Dave Lowry.

Lowry has more than earned a step up to the next level - whether we hire Green for the Canuck's HC position and Lowry for the AHL franchise (which hopefully we can complete a move to Western Canada sooner than later - sorry Utica, you are awesome but you're just too far away) - or whether the Canucks assemble a team of Green, with Jarvis and Lowry as assistants - I'd be thrilled if they bring him on board.

Lowry gets a lot out of his rosters.  The improvement of the Royals has been very impressive and never really hinged on having high levels of talent through the lineup.  He is a no-nonsense coach who commands respect and hard work out of his players, on and off the ice.   I think he'd be great for the type of identity/work ethic and tight systems the team is looking to build.   The Royals are a real pleasure to watch on a number of levels.

If they can retain Green and add Lowry, imo that would be a great result - and in line with where the franchise stands = looking to snatch up and coming talent.

It has to be Lowry for Utica isn't it? I'm glad they're getting the replacements in for both quickly if this is the case, shows good commitment to young player development.

I'd love to see us put an ECHL team into Utica now that the Aces are toast, and move the Comets to East Van. I think a move like that could help to develop a better fan base here, as well as all the other benefits of having the farm team so close. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

It has to be Lowry for Utica isn't it? I'm glad they're getting the replacements in for both quickly if this is the case, shows good commitment to young player development.

I'd love to see us put an ECHL team into Utica now that the Aces are toast, and move the Comets to East Van. I think a move like that could help to develop a better fan base here, as well as all the other benefits of having the farm team so close. 

Not necessarily.  Lowry has been an NHL assistant before.  He could probably be considered for any of those three positions.

Archived