The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Unfortunately that can't be done without screwing up the entire poll. The poll only sees option 1, 2, 3, etc. If you delete for example option 1, the poll would auto adjust and turn option 2 into option 1, option 3 into option 2, and so on, making those that voted for option 1 appear to have voted for option 2.

Confusing I know.

You can vote again however by going back to page 1 to the poll and clicking "show poll options". This will allow you to vote again, but will not take your vote away from the original person you voted for. Unfortunately this is the best we can do without starting over. I will change the names of the options as they are hired elsewhere to indicate they are no longer options. 

Be interesting to see the Gallant supporters vote change the overalls of those available I voted the Crow.

Dave Tomlinson mentioned New Jersey assistant Geoff Ward as somebody he thought would be an excellent candidate that is a little bit off the radar:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/06/why_the_devils_are_fortunate_to_get_assistant_coac.html

The Devils and their fans should be flattered that GM Ray Shero and head coach John Hynes were able to talk Geoff Ward into accepting a position as assistant coach.

Ward, who left the Bruins one year ago almost to the day to become head coach of Adler Manheim in the German Ice Hockey League (Deutsche Eishockey Liga), won a championship in Europe and thoroughly enjoyed his year abroad.

"It was awesome. It was an extremely positive experience for me all the way around," Ward told NJ Advance Media. "The team I was with — Manheim — we were able to win a championship last year, so it was a special group of guys.

"The organization is run like an NHL team, the building seats 13,400 and it was sold out most nights. The ownership was outstanding and gave us all the resources we needed. Management was great. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience there. It was really fun. It ended up being an excellent thing for me."

It was Ward's decision to leave the Bruins, a team he helped guide to the Stanley Cup in 2011 and the Final in 2013.

"It was just one of those things where I'm a career coach and I just wanted a new challenge," Ward explained. "The opportunity to go to Europe came up and it was something, talking to my family, I really felt I wanted to pursue. I needed something new at that point in time in my career.

"We ended up going that way and the Bruins were very good about it. I had an excellent time in Boston. I still followed the team. They were probably the only team I followed and my relationship with all the people there is great."

He had other NHL offers to return, but chose the Devils.

"I had other offers. I'm a teacher by trade and I really enjoy the challenge of building something," Ward said. "The biggest thing for me was the people, meeting John and Ray and meeting with Mr. (Lou) Lamoriello. I coached Alain Nasreddine in the minors (Hamilton of the AHL).

"They're excellent people. I'm a people person. Their philosophies are very similar to my philosophies. So I thought it was a really good fit people-wise. The more we talked the more I became comfortable with it."

He said several colleagues who were also friends with Hynes and Shero, put them together. They talked and Ward was convinced to return to the NHL.

"I'm really excited about the opportunity," he said. "I'm looking forward to meeting everybody and getting to work."

11 hours ago, SuitnTie said:

Green is WD 2.0, I'm surprised so many want him..

Keep in mind that one of the organizational goals was to have alignment.  That means everybody paddles the boat in the same direction.

So it came from the top, TG was to coach Utica exactly the same as the Canucks were being coached.  

I don't know why so many here think Green would accept an assistants role here when he's said several times that he will not be an assistant.

I read somewhere this morning that he already has an offer on the table to coach over in Europe if he doesn't get a head coaching gig this off-season.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I don't know why so many here think Green would accept an assistants role here when he's said several times that he will not be an assistant.

I read somewhere this morning that he already has an offer on the table to coach over in Europe if he doesn't get a head coaching gig this off-season.

Ya, it's very different being an assistant to being in charge.  A typical career progression would go from NHL assistant, to running the show as head coach at the AHL level, to NHL head coach.

Green taking an assistants role in the NHL could be viewed as a demotion.

12 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

John Stevens is a name that hasn't been brought up much. Not saying he will be in the mix but wasn't there talk about him when we hired Torts or Willie?

Didn't he sign a contract with the Kings to be the co-coach with Sutter?  I don't believe that he was let go along with Sutter and I don't think the Canucks were even able to talk to him during their last head coach search.  The implication has always been that Stevens would take over the team when Sutter left.

Just now, MJDDawg said:

Didn't he sign a contract with the Kings to be the co-coach with Sutter?  I don't believe that he was let go along with Sutter and I don't think the Canucks were even able to talk to him during their last head coach search.  The implication has always been that Stevens would take over the team when Sutter left.

He was the Associate Coach and definitely will be at the top of the Kings list to replace Sutter. I expect he won't be available but would be worth interviewing if he is.

10 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Sorry if this was already covered in the previous 23 pages...

Here's a report that the Canucks have had talks with Dave Lowry.  They can't confirm what role they exactly have in mind for him, just that they have been talking to him.

http://victoriasportsnews.com/will-dave-lowry-be-named-as-the-vancouver-canucks-head-coach/

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this idea.  I'm fine if Green and/or Lowry wind up as assitants, but I would like to see the new coach be someone that already has NHL experience (and success).

Interesting.

Is it coincidence that only two of Willie's assistants were let go, leaving Jarvis as an assistant.

Maybe the plan is to have Green as coach with Lowry and Jarvis as assistants. Hmmmm....

10 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Interesting.

Is it coincidence that only two of Willie's assistants were let go, leaving Jarvis as an assistant.

Maybe the plan is to have Green as coach with Lowry and Jarvis as assistants. Hmmmm....

Benning was asked that, he said that he kept Jarvis so there would be some continuity.  It helps if there is somebody there who already knows the players well and the systems they have been playing under.  Not to say the the GM dictates systems but it help the new coaching staff transition.

Jarvis, I believe was Jims guy while Lidster and Pearn were Willie's.  I think it's normal for the new head coach to hire his own assistants.

Archived