The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Pretty much this lol, you are basically unfireable if you work a union job. Appeals to knuckle-dragging types.

The very first job I worked out of highschool was at a grocery store and it was unionized, there was this one guy who came in late every single day, basically did nothing his entire shift and was rude to customers, they tried to fire him multiple times but the union kept bailing him out. They finally were able to get rid of him cause they caught him stealing product off the shelf.

First and last union job I ever plan to have, too many morons.

So you met one scammer at your union job site....

Wow, seems like a solid sample size  ( one person )  to judge a million union members ... 

OK - how about  this story...

I worked for a super large department store in Surrey. Non Union.  We had 1 crummy employee that picked his nose  it in front of customers  constantly...

He was never fired..... even after management warned him repeatedly....   I will never work non union again...  Too many nose pickers. 

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't be complacent or allow this to be an excuse to accept it.

And, on the scale this is happening...where it affects the average Joe because wealthy investors and speculators are running the city??   

We have NEVER seen young people, families, and the elderly driven out like this before.  And, used to be, they'd move out to Cloverdale and carry on with a happily ever after story.  It's getting to be that you have to abandon the lower mainland to survive in this province.  And that shouldn't be.

I don't like CC nor do I think corruption is acceptable but it seems no matter what governments turn corrupt but I never said it was okay.

Sad reality around the free World is we are voting the lesser of two evils. I think B.C should go Green this election.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:06 PM, Ryan Strome said:

I don't like CC nor do I think corruption is acceptable but it seems no matter what governments turn corrupt but I never said it was okay.

Sad reality around the free World is we are voting the lesser of two evils. I think B.C should go Green this election.

Sorry but Greens have zero chance to win the BC election.

Vote for change. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow, seems like a solid sample size  ( one person )  to judge a million union members ... 

I worked for a super large department store in Surrey. Non Union.  We had 1 crummy employee that picked his nose  it in front of customers  constantly...

He was never fired..... even after management warned him repeatedly....   I will never work non union again...  Too many nose pickers. 

I can personally give a much larger sample size. Again Workers ruined unions. Unions were a good idea but far too many took advantage of unions.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I could give plenty of examples, that guy was just the worst one. Even doing all the stuff that that guy did didn't get him fired because of the union.

So if he didn't even get fired for all that then it's a moot point to bring up the others that weren't as bad.

But hey you keep it up at your union job there sport

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm looking around and the only person I see crying is you.

You post that but completely neglect to mention where Clarks money is coming from.  Convenient 

Pathetic but convenient.  Almost as amusing as your assumptions about how much money people have.

Internet-based stupidity is as bad as Internet-based toughness 

It's a pretty easy assumption seeing as how you have a problem with Christy's "rich" donors but don't give a rats a** about Horgan getting even bigger donations from a US Steel Union.

You hate rich people, we get it.

The only internet-based stupidity and hypocrisy here is yours.

But good luck with those mortgage payments, i'm sure you'll be alright

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.straight.com/news/856611/bc-green-party-sets-record-fundraising-despite-banning-corporate-and-union-donations

B.C. Green Party sets record fundraising despite banning corporate and union donations

The risk taken by the B.C. Greens has paid off.

When the party decided last year not to accept donations from corporations and labour unions, it faced the danger of losing revenue for its next election campaign.

But as Green leader and Oak Bay-Gordon Head MLA Andrew Weaver recalls, it was the right thing to do.

“We put our trust in the people of B.C., and the people of B.C. responded in droves,” Weaver stated in a media release about the historic fundraising record set by the party.

The B.C. Greens raised $763,667 in 2016, a 93 percent increase over the party’s 2015 revenue.

“When the B.C. Green Party banned corporate and union donations in September, we knew it was a risk, but we did it because it was the right thing to do,” Weaver said in the news release Monday (January 16).

Weaver announced the ban in his address before delegates of the Union of B.C. Municipalities (UBCM) convention on September 28, 2016.

“Real leadership doesn’t come from doing what is easy,” the lone Green MLA said in his speech at the UBCM event. “It is built on doing what is right. We are a party of the people, for the people and that will be mirrored in our funding structure.”

The B.C. Liberal Party and the B.C. NDP accept corporate and union donations.

B.C. NDP leader John Horgan has said that his party will no longer take money from corporations and labour groups if it wins the next provincial election on May 9 this year.

The citizen organization Dogwood lauded Weaver’s announcement at the UBCM convention as an example that the Greens are heeding the wishes of the people.

Polling by Insights West for Dogwood has shown that 81 percent of B.C. Liberal supporters and 91 percent of B.C. NDP followers want an end to corporate and union donations before the next election.

In the media release, the Green Party noted that it raised more than its entire 2015 revenue in the last three months of 2016 after it banned corporate and union donations.

According to Weaver, this provinces that “politics for the people can set a positive new course for British Columbia”.

Sonia Furstenau, B.C. Green Party deputy leader and candidate for Cowichan Valley, said in the news release that fundraising success puts the Greens “on a path for major breakthroughs in the May election”.

Furstenau noted that 75 percent of donors in 2016 contributed after the September 28 announcement made by Weaver regarding a ban on corporate and union donations.

“British Columbians are rallying around a party that puts its principles first, rather than seeking power at any cost,” Furstenau said.

In its first official campaign update for this year’s election, B.C. Green executive director Laura Gavin stated Monday (January 16) that the party is “in a great position to win new ridings”.

According to Gavin, 41 percent of the donations received since banning corporate and union donations were from first-time donors to the Greens.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/political-donations-following-the-money-in-b-c-politics-1.4076285

Who raised the most money?

The Liberals raised $116 million between 2005 and 2016, which is more than double the NDP's $46.5 million. The Green Party, which banned corporate and union donations in September, raised $2.9 million and the B.C. Conservatives raised $1.3 million. 

The Liberal Party's top donors were mostly corporate: mining, energy, forestry and real estate firms, with the addition of the New Car Dealers Association of B.C. in the number two spot. 

For the NDP, it's big labour. Eight of its top 10 donors were unions and the other two were estates. The top donor to the NDP was the B.C. Government Employees' Union, followed by the United Steelworkers.

The Greens' biggest donors are all individuals, with former party and fundraising chair Roy Ball in the top spot.

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I can personally give a much larger sample size. Again Workers ruined unions. Unions were a good idea but far too many took advantage of unions.

This is unarguable.

People taking months off work for "stress leave" because they cannot handle a register at a safeway is ridiculous.

Unions had and have their places but by and large are meaningless money hoarders now

20 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

It's a pretty easy assumption seeing as how you have a problem with Christy's "rich" donors but don't give a rats a** about Horgan getting even bigger donations from a US Steel Union.

LOL

You're idiocy is adorable

Because obviously I said somewhere I have no problem with it...wait...I didn't?  Well fancy that.  I hate rich people? But I am obviously not fond of you so it's an equal opportunity kinda thing.  I am middle of the road apparently.

The only internet based...Hmm, except nothing I have said is wrong or incorrect.  You ARE conveniently forgetting Clarks double dipping corporate cash happy ways while some how vilifying Horgan for doing the same

It would be funny if not for the troubling trend we see in the real world about that very disassociation from hypocritical stand points and arguments.

Please don't produce any more mouth breathing idiocy, save it for the trump thread unless you want to admit you're giving Clark a free ride here

42 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

Can you address my point?

The "unions" are local workers....I'd rather have their voices heard by way of supporting a politician than I would the foreign (corrupt) investors who are buying their way in here.  They do more harm than good in a big picture way.   In SO many ways.  They don't care AT ALL about you or I...they are using this place to dump money, some of which is very dirty.  Creating all sorts of problems, lawsuits, shady foundations, etc.  And Christy's their golden ticket.  I'd rather the local lazy guy who has a family at home shopping in and supporting the community has representation than Christy's circle.

Unions were necessary BECAUSE there was exploitation of workers.  So there is a happy medium there somewhere and the rich fatcats scare me much more than unions that may ride the coat tails a bit but, they there, trying to make a living.  The CEO's of some of these corporations are hidden away somewhere, counting and spending millions that often come off the backs of others.  

If you think that allowing these foreign corporations to take over everything is a better option than unions that were put in place because of them in the first place, you're wrong.  It's a scary thought to go in that direction.  And...we are.

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

If you think that allowing these foreign corporations to take over everything is a better option than unions that were put in place because of them in the first place, you're wrong.  It's a scary thought to go in that direction.  And...we are.

This doesn't make sense nor is it why unions were created. 

I do agree about the foreign take over part but unfortunately that seems to be how Canada rolls.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Can you address my point?

The "unions" are local workers....I'd rather have their voices heard by way of supporting a politician than I would the foreign (corrupt) investors who are buying their way in here.  They do more harm than good in a big picture way.   In SO many ways.  They don't care AT ALL about you or I...they are using this place to dump money, some of which is very dirty.  Creating all sorts of problems, lawsuits, shady foundations, etc.  And Christy's their golden ticket.  I'd rather the local lazy guy who has a family at home shopping in and supporting the community has representation than Christy's circle.

Uh the union that Horgan is getting his biggest donations from is a steelworkers union in Pittsburgh.

Not sure how that's "local"

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

LOL

You're idiocy is adorable

Because obviously I said somewhere I have no problem with it...wait...I didn't?  Well fancy that.  I hate rich people? But I am obviously not fond of you so it's an equal opportunity kinda thing.  I am middle of the road apparently.

The only internet based...Hmm, except nothing I have said is wrong or incorrect.  You ARE conveniently forgetting Clarks double dipping corporate cash happy ways while some how vilifying Horgan for doing the same

It would be funny if not for the troubling trend we see in the real world about that very disassociation from hypocritical stand points and arguments.

Please don't produce any more mouth breathing idiocy, save it for the trump thread unless you want to admit you're giving Clark a free ride here

Did you see me at any point say I was ok with Clark's donations? lol nice mental gymnastics to try and form an argument though.

But if someone is going to get big donations i'd rather it not be form some union in the US that doesn't give 2 craps about what goes on in BC.

You however are slamming Clark and acting like Horgan is far better when he's received the biggest single campaign donation ever to the tune of 600K+ from a US steelworkers union. So Clark is somehow corrupt and Horgan isn't?

I know you're a knuckle dragging trade worker and you like your little unions but at least try and make sense and not contradict yourself in every post.

10 hours ago, apollo said:

Yes I am aware. I'm not a fan of Horgan or the NDP. I'm voting Green.

Still would rather NDP over Liberals in a minority government. 

This. 

I'm just sick of billionaire developers getting aided by the liberals and making our housing and everything else unaffordable for the people that work HERE. It's very sad to know that even if I make 250k a year, I'll never be able to buy a home and have 2 kids. Not in West Van / North Van / Downtown / Vancouver West at least... even Vancouver East. 

Just look at it as a small price you have to pay to live in "greatest place on earth" and you will feel better.

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

This doesn't make sense nor is it why unions were created. 

I do agree about the foreign take over part but unfortunately that seems to be how Canada rolls.

Oh really?    Tell me why unions were created then?

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh really?    Tell me why unions were created then?

Unions were created in Canada because rich owners refused to pay living wages....  to maximize their huge profits.

Simple.  Unions take care of the working class and provide liveable wages, safe job sites, and benefits to workers.

If you want a Union contract - join a union.

If you don't want to work in a Union environment then don't but PLEASE stop your whining and snivelling. 

There is a place for Unions in Canada.  Thats why Unions still exist. 

6 hours ago, Bo053 said:

I could give plenty of examples, that guy was just the worst one. Even doing all the stuff that that guy did didn't get him fired because of the union.

So if he didn't even get fired for all that then it's a moot point to bring up the others that weren't as bad.

But hey you keep it up at your union job there sport

Butt hurt because his job pays minimum wage and no benefits. Too funny. 

BC is the only province in Canada where citizens get resentful when others citizens earn a living wage with benefits.

Yet BC residents are fine with the selling of the province to foreign nationals who don't even live in their property purchases.... or pay any taxes in Canada...

Such a juvenile and spiteful province....  Maybe it has to do with the lack of an educated population here in BC 

Archived