The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Can you guys please keep your Virtanen fight in the Virtanen thread? It is bad enough in that thread already, it doesn't need to be spread into others. Thanks. 

Apologies. Will keep it about the draft now. 

This will be my last post regarding Virtanen on this thread and it will hopefullt bring us back on topic at the end. If those who want to continue discussing this afterwards, tag me in the Virtanen thread. 

This is going to be a long one so here goes. 

@Rob_Zepp I just want to say that it's real noble of you to constantly defend Jake. But at some point you can't get upset over every single person who criticizes Virtanen since this is a discussion board/forum afterall, and his performance this past season has definitely given a lot of his critics a lot to talk about. 

I want to go on record and say that whoever those people you claim are saying these things about Jake, are peope I am not defending. I speak for those who genuinely want to see Jake become a real PWF, but is voicing their honest assesments. 

I cannot say I speak for @Toews or @ForsbergTheGreat personally, but it seems to me that their posts typically align with my thoughts on this topic. I've noticed when engaging in this topic with me or these posters to name a few, it feels like you have this perception that we want Jake to fail. When in fact, that cannot be further from the truth. What that is like is like saying that we want the company we invested millions of dollars into, to plummet until it had to liquidate all its assets just because the stocks that were bought lost valuation after its first few years its IPO. It just doesn't make sense! Although it doesn't change the fact the stock has fallen, it also doesn't change the fact we don't want it to rise every morning the trading floor opens again. 

So when people say that they don't want to pick another Virtanen, it means that we just want to invest in a prospect that can show a steady growth in its stock price. We don't need him to come in right away and be our McDavid, but we do want to see a good trajectory even if it means putting up numbers in the AHL. 

Whether it is fair or not, the unfortunate truth is, being drafted in the top 10 will always make a player a "boom or bust" type of player. 

So to bring things back on topic, let's hope this draft gives us a good IPO to invest in. Who knows, maybe this next pick will be a 1-2 punch with Virtanen in the future. 

3 hours ago, suitup said:

This will be my last post regarding Virtanen on this thread and it will hopefullt bring us back on topic at the end. If those who want to continue discussing this afterwards, tag me in the Virtanen thread. 

This is going to be a long one so here goes. 

@Rob_Zepp I just want to say that it's real noble of you to constantly defend Jake. But at some point you can't get upset over every single person who criticizes Virtanen since this is a discussion board/forum afterall, and his performance this past season has definitely given a lot of his critics a lot to talk about. 

I want to go on record and say that whoever those people you claim are saying these things about Jake, are peope I am not defending. I speak for those who genuinely want to see Jake become a real PWF, but is voicing their honest assesments. 

I cannot say I speak for @Toews or @ForsbergTheGreat personally, but it seems to me that their posts typically align with my thoughts on this topic. I've noticed when engaging in this topic with me or these posters to name a few, it feels like you have this perception that we want Jake to fail. When in fact, that cannot be further from the truth. What that is like is like saying that we want the company we invested millions of dollars into, to plummet until it had to liquidate all its assets just because the stocks that were bought lost valuation after its first few years its IPO. It just doesn't make sense! Although it doesn't change the fact the stock has fallen, it also doesn't change the fact we don't want it to rise every morning the trading floor opens again. 

So when people say that they don't want to pick another Virtanen, it means that we just want to invest in a prospect that can show a steady growth in its stock price. We don't need him to come in right away and be our McDavid, but we do want to see a good trajectory even if it means putting up numbers in the AHL. 

Whether it is fair or not, the unfortunate truth is, being drafted in the top 10 will always make a player a "boom or bust" type of player. 

So to bring things back on topic, let's hope this draft gives us a good IPO to invest in. Who knows, maybe this next pick will be a 1-2 punch with Virtanen in the future. 

Not upset at all.   Anyway, we should keep this pick and Glass would be a tremendous pick up and could be in the league within two years one would think.   

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not upset at all.   Anyway, we should keep this pick and Glass would be a tremendous pick up and could be in the league within two years one would think.   

Heard on 1040 today that Glass was one of the last players selected in the WHL Bantam draft his year.  Then a mock redraft was done, and he went first.  Shows his improvement so far.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Heard on 1040 today that Glass was one of the last players selected in the WHL Bantam draft his year.  Then a mock redraft was done, and he went first.  Shows his improvement so far.  

Really? I didn't know that Alf. That is impressive. I don't think he will ever be as good as Johansen like some people say but he will be a decent player for sure.

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

Really? I didn't know that Alf. That is impressive. I don't think he will ever be as good as Johansen like some people say but he will be a decent player for sure.

I think it was Glenn Hanlon who was on talking about Glass, just before he went on about a big Giants 10 year anniversary of their Memorial Cup.  I was surprised too.  I wasn't big on Glass, but he could blossom given time.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Revisionist drafting - interesting concept.    Interesting word "embarrassed" as doubt anyone would use that word unless they felt it themselves.   So moving on from crystal ball to going into the past and redrafting.   Cool - grab Lidstrom while you are there.

Yeah I do feel embarrassed . Embrassed of you. Obviously you lack the IQ to see the obvious. You think Virtanen the best player to come outta the draft.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wow that is pretty cool. I am a big fan of risers in the draft as a Horvat is a big example of that. Travis Sanheim also seems like another example. Maybe us selecting Glass can be another example?

When it comes to selecting Glass, I think my final verdict will lie in how the interviews goes. If he's got a Bo-like drive, I'd take him. 

7 hours ago, suitup said:

Wow that is pretty cool. I am a big fan of risers in the draft as a Horvat is a big example of that. Travis Sanheim also seems like another example. Maybe us selecting Glass can be another example?

When it comes to selecting Glass, I think my final verdict will lie in how the interviews goes. If he's got a Bo-like drive, I'd take him. 

From what I've read about Glass he's very mature and hard working with a good background of overcoming adversity. IMO, his attitude/demeanor could be one of his biggest attributes.

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

From what I've read about Glass he's very mature and hard working with a good background of overcoming adversity. IMO, his attitude/demeanor could be one of his biggest attributes.

Wow, I'm sold. Of course it'd be nice to have a flashy center, but having a team of Horvats and Glass' sounds like a playoff winning formula too. Add some skill and flash on their wings and we're set. 

Thoughts on Mittelstadt if both him and Glass are available at 5? Thing about Mittelstadt is that he reminds me of Keller who from what I saw last year, can really control the game. 

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Wow, I'm sold. Of course it'd be nice to have a flashy center, but having a team of Horvats and Glass' sounds like a playoff winning formula too. Add some skill and flash on their wings and we're set. 

Thoughts on Mittelstadt if both him and Glass are available at 5? Thing about Mittelstadt is that he reminds me of Keller who from what I saw last year, can really control the game. 

I'd probably lean Mittelstadt if he's still available. Kid is slick and is only going to get better as he matures and gets stronger. But it's certainly a tough call, I've really liked Glass for a good while too...

Who the hell knows!? :lol:

On 6/2/2017 at 0:29 AM, JamesB said:

Not to get carried away, but he is more like Crosby -- who might not be noticed much until he scores the winning goal -- than Ovechkin, who looks dominant, and is very good, but always comes up second-best relative to Crosby.

This has to be one of the oddest analyzations of Crosby and Ovechkin that I've ever seen. Crosby is the most well-rounded player in the NHL, maybe of all time, and always looks dangerous. He's constantly battling along the boards, playing great defense, setting up plays and making everyone else around him better. Not to mention, he's great in all areas of the ice and does all of the little things, even when he's not scoring. OV, on the other hand, may look invisible an entire game but score a pair of goals off the powerplay with his deadly shot. 

Completely backwards.

haha I love the people that just hate on teenagers and young 20 year olds! What were you doing at that age? Were you a professional? Everyone matures at different rates and I think Virtanen took a huge step forward last year! Give the kid a chance, my guess is he comes to camp and looks decent and just gets better throughout the year. Wether thats in Utica or Van it doesn't matter as we are a pretty poor pro squad right now

On 6/11/2017 at 11:28 PM, RetroCanuck said:

haha I love the people that just hate on teenagers and young 20 year olds! What were you doing at that age? Were you a professional? Everyone matures at different rates and I think Virtanen took a huge step forward last year! Give the kid a chance, my guess is he comes to camp and looks decent and just gets better throughout the year. Wether thats in Utica or Van it doesn't matter as we are a pretty poor pro squad right now

I've said this many times, I've heard from a few people already that bumped into him at random places, dude is a very nice guy, he actually bought my friend a drink when he saw him at bar.    All of them said that he is a very nice guy. 

Archived