The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hopes for 2017-18

CanadianRugby

Hmmm. What would I like to see... Good question actually.

1. Our powerplay being better than #29 in the league. I'd like around #20.
  2. Our Penalty Kill being better than #28 in the league. I'd like in the 10-15 range.
  3. Young players developing.
  4. As high in the lottery as possible.
  5. Also, as some have said, as many picks in the first 2 or 3 rounds as possible and reasonable. (Can't trade the entire NHL roster for picks.)

I think that obviously next year is going to be a painful year. We're not going to do too well. Our best scenario in terms of wins/losses is getting a wildcard and getting bounced in the first round. I don't expect that to happen, but that's the best possible case. Anything short of that means we've missed the playoffs and I'd then prefer the best odds at winning a lottery pick, or at least remaining as high as possible in the draft if we slide. More picks is obvious. Young players developing is obvious.

So really, I'd just like to see our team act like we've ever practiced our special teams. These are coach-able systems, sure your talent matters to an extent, but the Sedins should still be capable of running a powerplay, and we have enough players who are quite solid defensively to figure out the PK. There is no good excuse, no matter how bad your team is, for being any lower than #25 in the league in special teams. 5 teams do it every year, and those 5 teams have no excuse. Either your coaches are completely stupid, your players are completely stupid, or either or both are not trying. 

My hope is we never hear Linden/Benning talk about another incoming player as being "foundational"!

According to the brass, we already have an entire team of foundational players...and we finished 29th.

Skill and speed please.

Ironically, the new supposedly anti-tanking system has caused me as a rational canucks fan to want to the team to tank even more and for more seasons to increase the chances of being able to get the necessary top picks to complete the rebuild. So main hopes:

- trade whatever we won't need in 5 years for more draft picks and prospects

- finish as low as possible to draft as high as possible (even if it's another 3 spot drop, it's better to drop from a higher position). if we get lucky and get a top 2-3 pick or two, all the better

- play young guys so games would be fun to watch without caring about the result... I personally would be more willing to go to games than the past 3 years (excluding the last few weeks of past season where younglings got a bit more action)

- in the meantime, hope for as many unfortunate events for the lucky oilers and to a lesser extend the semi-lucky leafs, to even out their huge franchise-changing lucky lottery wins... GO FAIRNESS AND EQUALITY!

Really hoping Green changes the effort factor and attitude of this team, and he awards deserving players the ice time. I also wouldn't mind seeing Edler benched at some point, if deserved, and the Sedins' ice time cut down, if deserved. I'd like to see competition for that ice time. He needs to send a clear message that nothing is given without working for it.

35 minutes ago, westvandude said:

Ironically, the new supposedly anti-tanking system has caused me as a rational canucks fan to want to the team to tank even more and for more seasons to increase the chances of being able to get the necessary top picks to complete the rebuild. So main hopes:

Just curious, but is that a result of the "supposedly anti-tanking system" or just because now the Canucks suck? I mean, regardless of the system in the past, there wasn't ever a system that punished you for finishing lower in the standings in terms of draft placing, at worst it just didn't necessarily reward you. So I'm trying to figure out why if you are pro-tanking in this system you wouldn't be pro-tanking in another.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

New to Utica (if possible): Juolevi, Glass, Dahlen, Gaudette, MacEwen, Brisebois, Molino

If we took Glass he'd have to play in the NHL or the CHL,  not the AHL because of the regs. OJ on the other hand would be an interesting decision on the best place for him long-term development. 

1 minute ago, PlanB said:

If we took Glass he'd have to play in the NHL or the CHL,  not the AHL because of the regs. OJ on the other hand would be an interesting decision on the best place for him long-term development. 

OJ is either a Canuck or back in London for 2017/18 season.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ is either a Canuck or back in London for 2017/18 season.

or he could go to Jokerit - his junior team in Europe assuming they would promote him to the main team.

Benning said that for Dahlen it's not excluded that he goes back to Sweden instead of going to Utica.  

17 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Just curious, but is that a result of the "supposedly anti-tanking system" or just because now the Canucks suck? I mean, regardless of the system in the past, there wasn't ever a system that punished you for finishing lower in the standings in terms of draft placing, at worst it just didn't necessarily reward you. So I'm trying to figure out why if you are pro-tanking in this system you wouldn't be pro-tanking in another.

Well I'd be less inclined to want to tank if we had 3rd overall and 2nd overall as we finished the last two years, and would have had Pulvijardi and Hirscher/Patrick. You're right still made sense to tank, but due to the increasing chance of the devastating drops that the bottom teams (those who need help the most) could get from the new system, the need for tanking becomes more important. Before, what you could have achieved by finishing bottom 3 for a year or two, now needs 3 or 4 or more years to get the same odds to get those all important top 2-3 picks. 

NHL teams are smart and dynamically adjust their plans based on the odds provided. Unless you give each non-playoff team the same odds at winning the lottery, tanking is still a desired outcome, because without those top 2-3 picks, it's (so far) been next to impossible to win a cup (looking at the salary cap era cups, only Bruins and Wings got away with a cup without a #1 pick a few other top 3 picks... Wings were enjoying the end of their pre-salary-cap era team, and Bruins, well let's just say they got some fortunate things go in their favor in that cup final. Even Canucks wouldn't have gotten to the final without the #2 and #3 sedin picks).

I don't mind having some randomness in picks to avoid teams tanking specifically for a particular player, but to generally punish bad teams, specially in back to back years like Canucks, is just wrong and unfair. The right adjustment to this system would compensate teams that drop in the lottery with better odds the next year. Canucks and Arizona have dropped 5 spots over the past 2 seasons. That's a huge luck-based disadvantage forced on these teams that did not lose games on purpose and were actually bad teams.

Is it too much to ask for and go full rebuild:

Expose Edler to Vegas or trade him

Expose Sutter to Vegas or trade him

Expose Erikkson to Vegas or trade him

Expose Dorsett to Vegas or trade him

Expose Sbisa to Vegas or trade him

Wake me up if this happens. Dreaming, I know. Likely one of these could actually happen though. 

Get bigger and meaner...

Like a lot of our players, but would love for us to be the ones dishing it out.

If we're going to suck, lets suck in style, and settle a few scores while we're at it.

Pipe dream

Daniel to send Keith on a vacation with a Bure elbow.... + Beat up rat face in the dressing room...

I know the Canucks were awarded the 5th overall pick, and most Canucks fans are disappointed, understandably. But think about COL. They had the #1 and dropped to 4th. Or Vegas, their first draft and they drop 3 spots to 6th. PHI and NJ just got extremely lucky, but good thing they play in the east.

The Canucks are in a good spot, because Mittelstadt, Vilardi and Glass could all be considered the #3. We're probably getting one of these guys. It ain't so bad. So, we're not getting Patrick or Hischier. Who says they'll be better NHL players? Patrick may have an injury prone career. We don't know.

46 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

Is it too much to ask for and go full rebuild:

Expose Edler to Vegas or trade him

Expose Sutter to Vegas or trade him

Expose Erikkson to Vegas or trade him

Expose Dorsett to Vegas or trade him

Expose Sbisa to Vegas or trade him

Wake me up if this happens. Dreaming, I know. Likely one of these could actually happen though. 

Canucks are in full rebuild. Only unlike Edmonton of the past they don't want to throw the rookies to the wolves.

Every rebuilding team needs a certain number of seasoned players besides -

• Sedins have 1 year left on their contracts, after that who knows what they do or don't do. 
  • Edler holds his own fate, you know, that whole NTC thing. Benning may want to move him, but Edler has to agree to it. Would you go to LV in their first year?
  • Sutter & Eriksson are both serviceable players. Then in the last 2 years of their contracts Benning has the ability to trade either of them to a team on their submitted lists.
  • Dorsett has zero value after last year, maybe he could be traded at the upcoming trade deadline? or the summer before he becomes a UFA?
  • Sbisa may yet be taken by LV, we shall see what happens there. Never mind the fact that with Tryamkin & Larssen gone Sbisa and Quads are the only hitters we really have on D.

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know the Canucks were awarded the 5th overall pick, and most Canucks fans are disappointed, understandably. But think about COL. They had the #1 and dropped to 4th. Or Vegas, their first draft and they drop 3 spots to 6th. PHI and NJ just got extremely lucky, but good thing they play in the east.

The Canucks are in a good spot, because Mittelstadt, Vilardi and Glass could all be considered the #3. We're probably getting one of these guys. It ain't so bad. So, we're not getting Patrick or Hischier. Who says they'll be better NHL players? Patrick may have an injury prone career. We don't know.

I feel bad for COL, ARI and obviously us . . .the draft is yet again broken ( thanks Edmonton :rolleyes: ) but like you said, what are we going to do but move forward.

Agreed, like Benning said, after the #1 and #2 picks 3-7 are all really good players. I have a feeling that is there was a year to have a pick after the top 3 become the best players from the draft this is that year.

Archived