The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hutton is a young, still improving,  top 4 D who is ED exempt. He alone wouldn't be cheap. BUF badly needs a left side, top 4 D NOW and we repeatedly see top 4 D return disproportionate trade value. 

Baer is a solid 2nd line W to replace winger depth.

Yes we're getting the best player but that's solid value IMO. 

I guess who then replaces SR on their top 6? Saw this article on what BUF is looking at for their D, it appears they think they have lots of options: http://thehockeywriters.com/affordable-options-for-sabres-blue-line/ . I don't know that a new GM moves him this year, maybe next year if they're too far apart on contract talks. 

I still think the "best" deal in terms of need/fit/assets is TO, but I hate TO so I'm kind of hoping for a Landeskog deal. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I guess who then replaces SR on their top 6? Saw this article on what BUF is looking at for their D, it appears they think they have lots of options: http://thehockeywriters.com/affordable-options-for-sabres-blue-line/ . I don't know that a new GM moves him this year, maybe next year if they're too far apart on contract talks. 

I still think the "best" deal in terms of need/fit/assets is TO, but I hate TO so I'm kind of hoping for a Landeskog deal. 

I've grown 'down' on a Landeskog deal. Rather we try to sign Kane summer of 2018 for 'free' (not trade assets) to fill that physical, top 6 winger role. Right now I think we should try to move for a play making C to help shelter some of the kids and take over after the Sedins retire.

Would also help insulate whichever C we draft this summer allowing them to develop longer and either somebody moves to W or gives us freedom to trade one of them later.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I've grown 'down' on a Landeskog deal. Rather we try to sign Kane summer of 2018 for 'free' (not trade assets) to fill that physical, top 6 winger role. Right now I think we should try to move for a play making C to help shelter some of the kids and take over after the Sedins retire.

Would also help insulate whichever C we draft this summer allowing them to develop longer and either somebody moves to W or gives us freedom to trade one of them later.

well itwill be an interesting summer next year... Jake has the chance to take that physical top 6 job role, if he actually has it in him. If Jake doesn't pan out JB might move on and actually try to sign Kane instead. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

well itwill be an interesting summer next year... Jake has the chance to take that physical top 6 job role, if he actually has it in him. If Jake doesn't pan out JB might move on and actually try to sign Kane instead. 

I'd prefer to have them both in the top 9.

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

OK then, would you trade our 5th + Baer for SR? even then I still feel like BUF wouldn't do it. 

Not sure why you'd even suggest it. They need 24+/- year old players, particularly left D and W's, not picks. We need picks and young C's and D's.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not sure why you'd even suggest it. They need 24+/- year old players, particularly left D and W's, not picks. We need picks and young C's and D's.

just spitballin'. I think they'd want a high pick back in some deal for SR, but maybe 33oa would do it too in a deal for Tanev, Bear, our highest 2nd. 

12 hours ago, teepain said:

Would you guys do

tanev for okposo + first rd 

100% I would. If buffalo offered even just their first rounder (8th pick) I'd take it and run. Imagine getting one of villardi/middestat/glass and one of the top 3 dmen in the draft. 

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

just spitballin'. I think they'd want a high pick back in some deal for SR, but maybe 33oa would do it too in a deal for Tanev, Bear, our highest 2nd. 

They don't really need a right D though unless they're moving Bogosian out. Hutton's a far better fit IMO.

39 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

OK then, would you trade our 5th + Baer for SR? even then I still feel like BUF wouldn't do it. 

this makes 0 sense for us as we have three centers to fill the number 2 to 3 role and reinhart will be a second line center and we have that so do not need to trade for him

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

this makes 0 sense for us as we have three centers to fill the number 2 to 3 role and reinhart will be a second line center and we have that so do not need to trade for him

depends on if you see him and Bo as a top C duo or not. Some would. 

24 minutes ago, silver said:

100% I would. If buffalo offered even just their first rounder (8th pick) I'd take it and run. Imagine getting one of villardi/middestat/glass and one of the top 3 dmen in the draft. 

Getting Buffalo's 8thOA would be sweet...but with their new GM in place (Botterill),I really doubt that he's going to trade his first ever 1st round pick....You would think that a new GM would want a reasonable time for assessment,before he really goes to work on his roster.

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

We have a 3rd line C in Sutter, and two 2nd (or 1B) C's and Horvat/Sedin. One of whom is likely retiring after next year. We have a great deal of need for a top 6 C if not this summer, some time before next summer.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

depends on if you see him and Bo as a top C duo or not. Some would. 

true but only after the twins are gone and some want to keep them, to me they would be taking the spot of young talent that would by then be as good or better, so till we have a few players retire or leave we do not have the spot for a Reinhart

Just now, cripplereh said:

true but only after the twins are gone and some want to keep them, to me they would be taking the spot of young talent that would by then be as good or better, so till we have a few players retire or leave we do not have the spot for a Reinhart

i think if this is truly the last year of the twins, and someone like SR was available, they'd be moved to the 3rd line, or call it the 2nd second line if you like. 

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

i think if this is truly the last year of the twins, and someone like SR was available, they'd be moved to the 3rd line, or call it the 2nd second line if you like. 

Reinhart is also a RH shot so he could slide into a wing position, where he has played the majority of his NHL time anyway, for a season until we see what happens with Hank.

Still, I think that you're going to get better value in a trade for a guy like Strome who hasn't played two full productive years yet. And he could start in the AHL with Goldy and Virts as wingers, maybe establish some chemistry like the Triplets did in Syracuse. Then you'd have a potential full line to slot in next year alongside a Baer-Horvat-Boeser line. 

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

Reinhart is also a RH shot so he could slide into a wing position, where he has played the majority of his NHL time anyway, for a season until we see what happens with Hank.

Still, I think that you're going to get better value in a trade for a guy like Strome who hasn't played two full productive years yet. And he could start in the AHL with Goldy and Virts as wingers, maybe establish some chemistry like the Triplets did in Syracuse. Then you'd have a potential full line to slot in next year alongside a Baer-Horvat-Boeser line. 

we'd have a chance at picking up his brother at 33oa potentially as well. 

7 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Oh gimme a f$%king break

You = Fantasy land

Reality is ALREADY HAPPENING

Virtanen can't score in the minors, even the Canucks now have him pegged as bottom 6, before he was drafted, what is going on now was predicted by the majority of experts...that he was bullying kids out of his way to score and that when he hit the bigs his lack of true skill would be exposed........and STILL you have him out performing what is now an established NHL player...and top 6 scorer

He may get better but he is not in Nylander's league.......literally, 

If you want to speculate that Boeser could overtake Nylander, than OK, there is at least some substance to that. But Virtannen? WAKE UP

He needed seasoning and to learn that he isn't just given a spot on the roster. He may need another season in the AHL, but a guy doesn't go from 231 pounds to 213 pounds in 7 months if he doesn't have a big change in attitude and the desire to succeed. Green has been happy with his progress and Virtanen's approach to hockey has gone from "I deserve this" to "I need to work for this". He's only 20 years old and I know you constantly like to $&!# on our players, but writing off a 20 year old is just plain stupid.

Archived