The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Here is another one:

To VAN: Alexander Barkov

To FLA: Tanev

Canucks need a projected 1C and Barkov would be a great solution to fill that void. Florida wants to get back into the playoffs and Tanev would definitely help them significantly

Would be a win/win for both teams. Furthermore JB has some good business connections to Florida. Let's go JB.....

lol

Just now, Wolfgang Durst said:

Hall/Larsson trade is a good indicator of the value of a RHS D-Man. Don't forget....

Larsson holds more value than Tanev.

Tanev is going to get you good return but nothing that substantial.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Larsson holds more value than Tanev.

Tanev is going to get you good return but nothing that substantial.

The opinions differ in terms of Tanev's value. Some suggest his value is higher than Larsson's. Some take the position that Tanev's value is lower than Larsson's. Would not mind to add something to Tanev, maybe a 2nd round pick or a winger (Boucher, Goldobin). It really depends would the Floridas GM considers to be a fair return for Barkov...

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Stamkos only missed 5 games during Drouin's first 2 seasons. So to say Stamkos has been "injured pretty much for the last 3 seasons".... you wouldn't even be 33% right. (Stamkos also played 17 games this year) ;)

And I'm pretty sure Drouin's at least had a chance or a few to play with the higher ups, but he was also playing very well with Filppula for a while from what I gather (although Filpulla got traded lol).

Ya wasn\t sure how many games 3 seasons ago should have looked it up lol I do know he's missed quite a bit the last 2 seasons wasn't drouins coming out towards the end of 2 seasons ago and the playoiffs when Stammer was on the IR? you are right tho he has had some good linemates but I think he also played quite a bit in the bottom 6 nand the AHL wasn't that why he asked for s trade?

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The opinions differ in terms of Tanev's value. Some suggest his value is higher than Larsson's. Some take the position that Tanev's value is lower than Larsson's. Would not mind to add something to Tanev, maybe a 2nd round pick or a winger (Boucher, Goldobin). It really depends would the Floridas GM considers to be a fair return for Barkov...

Barkov is their C1 and only 21.  They are not trading him. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It is a lot easier to argue why Larsson holds more value.

He is just as reliable defensively, younger/more promising, brings in a significant physical presence and has been relatively healthy over the past few years unlike our Tanev.

All of which he does on a better contract. Larsson isn't night and day better than Tanev but he brings more to the table than Tanev does.

Barkov is also Florida's 1C and and was drafted in the same year as Horvat. He is way more valueable than Tanev. Florida would hang up.

50 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Trading Edler for Kane would be a waste of an asset for the Canucks.  Kane won't do much for the Canuck's playoff chances next year.  They're not going to make it to the post-season with or without him.

The Canucks should wait and see whether the Sabres put him on the market at the trade deadline next season and snap him up at a rental price or if he doesn't go to market, get him for nothing besides the price of a new contract once he's a free agent after next season is over.

I was thinking along those lines. I just figured having him here now only because IM a fan of him I think JB is as well. If the Sabres end up trading him it might be a sign and trade type deal, therefore, he won't be around come July 1st 2018

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It is a lot easier to argue why Larsson holds more value.

He is just as reliable defensively, younger/more promising, brings in a significant physical presence and has been relatively healthy over the past few years unlike our Tanev.

All of which he does on a better contract. Larsson isn't night and day better than Tanev but he brings more to the table than Tanev does.

Barkov is also Florida's 1C and and was drafted in the same year as Horvat. He is way more valueable than Tanev. Florida would hang up.

I love Tanman but wow people are way overvaluing him. I think he is as good as Larson,  but Larson has more value. Younger more durable altho playing in the west might have an impact.  I think the best trade is after the draft to the oilers for Jesse pulliarvi His value right now is lower than when he was drafted never a good sign, ..but I think he is worth taking a chance on. The kid reminds me of jake last year lazy and a little self-entitled. He does have huge upside and the oilers need Tanev more than they need him. Larson got a former 1st overall 30-40 goal scorer who has proved he is a top line winger. JP has proved nothing Tanev has nothing more to pro.

B4 the draft trade Sutter for oilers 1st and we take back a cash dump from them one of their choosing.

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

ya, cuz babs is gonna come out and say the truth and shatter his confidence Hate to burst your bubble coaches aren't always honest in their pressers and yes he was benched 3 games this year.

Babcock is one of the most brutally honest coaches out there. He wasn't singing Nylander's praises in the first half of the season. He said that Nylander had a lot to improve upon especially his competitiveness in puck battles and his two way ability. It was only towards the end of the year he started praising Nylander's play away from the puck. Also if Nylander was benched for 3 games, how did play in 81 games this year. He was never benched, there was a period of 2-3 games where he played 4th line minutes, he was coming off of a injury for which he sat a game and Babcock liked what he saw from Brown on a line with Matthews. Nylander's next common line mates were Komorov and Kadri at even strength where he played a stretch of 15 or so games on the team's checking line.

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

And he did play with Marner on the pp. We are all entitled to our own opinion I based mine on what I saw from the over 40 leaf games my GF forced me to watch. And just to clarify you are right to a point he didn't play the whole year on the pp with marner. He did, in fact, play some games with both Mathews and Marner.

Nylander played with Matthews on the 2nd PP unit for Toronto. The Leafs played with 4 forwards and one defense and Nylander's unit had Komorov, Brown, Matthews and Gardiner. Marner's unit had Bozak, Kadri, JVR and Rielly. They played a total of 19min at 5 on 5, or 1.8% of the time. So clearly they didn't play with each other at all, especially considering they bring the same strengths and play the same position (RW). Babcock never loaded up his top line either, so MNM was never a line. I know this because I have friends that are Leafs fans and a regular source of their complaint was that no matter the situation Babcock always had Hyman attached to Matthews' hip. You are entitled to your opinion but this one has no factual basis.

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

I suggest before calling me out watch their games. Don't get your info from leaf fans. You know the same ones who purchased Stamkos jerseys the same ones who are even worse with the rose coloured glasses than us.  You know who plays "the right way"? Mathews, I'll even factor out the games Nylander played with Marner whether it was pp or 5on5 He still benefited from one of the best all around rookies I have ever seen. And it kills me to say that. Nylander is not A 200-foot player I'm not saying he sucks obviously the kid has talent. All I was saying was his numbers were inflated by other players and his defence sucks. Throw any soundbite you want. Won't matter I watched enough games to see for myself. Anyways I hate bickering were all supposed to be on the same team so I respect your opinion it just differs from mine. Cheers have a safe night

Fans are fans, there are some of them that are homers just like there are some of them that are knowledgeable. Generalizing an entire fan base as being blind homers is simply unintelligent. Every fan base has its share of homers, knowledgeable fans, idiots etc, that doesn't mean the actions of the few reflect on the entire group. As a Canucks fan after 2011 you should be especially cognizant of that when a bunch of ignorant buffoons judge this city and the Canucks fan based on what happened that one night and not the morning after where fans helped clean up the damage.

I watched a good 30+ Leafs games, so please stop with the baseless assumptions. They played exciting hockey, were a tire fire defensively and their 3rd period meltdowns made for entertaining games. I watched a lot of Oilers games as well this year. In any case I saw a player that showed commitment towards improving his play away from the puck and was night and day in how engaged he was from the start of the year and the end of the year. Babcock seems to share this opinion as well. You are definitely entitled to your own opinion though.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Babcock is one of the most brutally honest coaches out there. He wasn't singing Nylander's praises in the first half of the season. He said that Nylander had a lot to improve upon especially his competitiveness in puck battles and his two way ability. It was only towards the end of the year he started praising Nylander's play away from the puck. Also if Nylander was benched for 3 games, how did play in 81 games this year. He was never benched, there was a period of 2-3 games where he played 4th line minutes, he was coming off of a injury for which he sat a game and Babcock liked what he saw from Brown on a line with Matthews. Nylander's next common line mates were Komorov and Kadri at even strength where he played a stretch of 15 or so games on the team's checking line.

Nylander played with Matthews on the 2nd PP unit for Toronto. The Leafs played with 4 forwards and one defense and Nylander's unit had Komorov, Brown, Matthews and Gardiner. Marner's unit had Bozak, Kadri, JVR and Rielly. They played a total of 19min at 5 on 5, or 1.8% of the time. So clearly they didn't play with each other at all, especially considering they bring the same strengths and play the same position (RW). Babcock never loaded up his top line either, so MNM was never a line. I know this because I have friends that are Leafs fans and a regular source of their complaint was that no matter the situation Babcock always had Hyman attached to Matthews' hip. You are entitled to your opinion but this one has no factual basis.

Fans are fans, there are some of them that are homers just like there are some of them that are knowledgeable. Generalizing an entire fan base as being blind homers is simply unintelligent. Every fan base has its share of homers, knowledgeable fans, idiots etc, that doesn't mean the actions of the few reflect on the entire group. As a Canucks fan after 2011 you should be especially cognizant of that when a bunch of ignorant buffoons judged this city and the Canucks fan based on what happened that one night and not the morning after where fans helped clean up the damage.

I watched a good 30+ Leafs games, so please stop with the baseless assumptions. They played exciting hockey, were a tire fire defensively and their 3rd period meltdowns made for entertaining games. I watched a lot of Oilers games as well this year. In any case I saw a player that showed commitment towards improving his play away from the puck and was night and day in how engaged he was from the start of the year and the end of the year. Babcock seems to share this opinion as well. You are definitely entitled to your own opinion though.

Of course, there are tonnes of good leaf fans. unfortunately, when you read any article on Sportsnet they don't seem to show up lol seriously no matter what the story is about they find a way to diss the Nucks. And the non-stop blabbering about how good they are. Ill admit they are fun as hell to watch, but need some serious help on D And to be fair ive given credit to a lot of leaf players this year Austin Mitch Morgan Jake JVR who I really wish played for us I just find most of them a little one dimensional. They need A guy like Tanev go on HF they offer carrick and a 2nd  drives me crazy. Anyway if I was wrong about the 5on5 I apologise maybe I made A mistake. I do know for sure they spent some time together on the pp I will try to find some proof. Like I said I don't like to argue with a fellow Canucks fan. We already have the rest of Canada who hate us lol One thing I will stick to is Nylander is still not a very good 200-foot player I will concede he has gotten better, but I don't think he will continue to get better just my opinion. Let's agree to disagree and end the convo on polite terms Cheers have a great night look forward to our next debate jk ps never once did I say they weren't exciting don't know why you said stop with the baseless assumptions 

@bp79 Surprised to hear that you watch Leaf games and still think that about Nylander's game. I've watched Leaf games this season including playoffs and although there may be some truth to what you've said in the beginning of the season, it certainly died out pretty quickly. You would also know that both him, Marner, and even Kadri the rat have all learned how to play without the puck. These are big reasons why the Leafs have improved tremendously and successfully made their way into the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, suitup said:

@bp79 Surprised to hear that you watch Leaf games and still think that about Nylander's game. I've watched Leaf games this season including playoffs and although there may be some truth to what you've said in the beginning of the season, it certainly died out pretty quickly. You would also know that both him, Marner, and even Kadri the rat have all learned how to play without the puck. These are big reasons why the Leafs have improved tremendously and successfully made their way into the playoffs. 

I'm not saying they didn't improve, but Kadri a minus 7 and Nylander minus 3 is not what I would expect from players who put up the points they did while playing on a winning team. They had the worst plus-minus of all forwards. Kadri I get tougher matchups and all. Anyways they are fun as hell to watch gotta give them that. And those are not terrible what shocked me is Rielly -20 and Zeitsev around the same I think. Jake Gardiner really had A fantastic year It's amazing how one generational player can make so many more people better. Crosby does it. Mcdavid does it. We really need that kind of player 

Just now, bp79 said:

I'm not saying they didn't improve, but Kadri a minus 7 and Nylander minus 3 is not what I would expect from players who put up the points they did while playing on a winning team. They had the worst plus-minus of all forwards. Kadri I get tougher matchups and all. Anyways they are fun as hell to watch gotta give them that. And those are not terrible whsat shocked me is Reiley -25 and Zeitsev around the same I think. Jake Gardiner really had A fantastic year It's amazing how one generational player can make so many more people better. Crosby does it. Mcdavid does it. We really need that kind of player 

I hear you, but I think you'll grow to like Nylander and the game he offers when you see him next year. Babcock is going to bury him on the fourth line if didn't/doesn't clean up defensively, if you saw him play the year before that is what happened. As for Reilly and Zaitsev I totally agree, in that they were atrocious defensively. I personally think Zaitsev shouldn't be played as hard as the Leafs did this past year. As awful as a lot of these Tanev proposals are, I really do think Toronto needs to make a move for Tanev. Gardiner I definitely agree with you on as well. I thought he was about to stagnate as a middle pairing, but he discovered how to play a two-way game while being on the offensive. 

Yep, we really do need a generational talent. It really sucks we missed out on all of them, but I'm really hoping it's our turn soon. 

Just now, suitup said:

I hear you, but I think you'll grow to like Nylander and the game he offers when you see him next year. Babcock is going to bury him on the fourth line if didn't/doesn't clean up defensively, if you saw him play the year before that is what happened. As for Reilly and Zaitsev I totally agree, in that they were atrocious defensively. I personally think Zaitsev shouldn't be played as hard as the Leafs did this past year. As awful as a lot of these Tanev proposals are, I really do think Toronto needs to make a move for Tanev. Gardiner I definitely agree with you on as well. I thought he was about to stagnate as a middle pairing, but he discovered how to play a two-way game while being on the offensive. 

Yep, we really do need a generational talent. It really sucks we missed out on all of them, but I'm really hoping it's our turn soon. 

Love your username "ted suit up" lol True enough if anyone will get him playing the right way its babs. Yes, they really need a guy like Tanev Give him the hard minutes and the trickle down effect would be monstrous for Rielly And  Zaitsev. The Leafs would have to give up their 1st for sure Carrick and Brown or Kap of the two who do you think would be a better fit. I  think brown may be the real deal Kap I think is a sure thing but reminds me of most of our top6 tbh. With t.o pick I would prolly take Dahlen's linemate Elias is it Petterson? I also think we need to draft Kim Kostin .Not sure if he will be around at 33. Maybe package both our 2nds to move up to nab him I think most mock drafts have him between 22-30 so might not cost that much. This kid had such a bad luck year but man is he talented.

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

Love your username "ted suit up" lol True enough if anyone will get him playing the right way its babs. Yes, they really need a guy like Tanev Give him the hard minutes and the trickle down effect would be monstrous for Rielly And  Zaitsev. The Leafs would have to give up their 1st for sure Carrick and Brown or Kap of the two who do you think would be a better fit. I  think brown may be the real deal Kap I think is a sure thing but reminds me of most of our top6 tbh. With t.o pick I would prolly take Dahlen's linemate Elias is it Petterson? I also think we need to draft Kim Kostin .Not sure if he will be around at 33. Maybe package both our 2nds to move up to nab him I think most mock drafts have him between 22-30 so might not cost that much. This kid had such a bad luck year but man is he talented.

Hahaha thanks. I created the account back when HIMYM was still popular. Personally I think the issue lies within the fact that the Canucks need a good piece at center or on defense, whereas Toronto has a surplus on the wings (particularly on the right). I do think it is a tough decision to make trying to decide which piece to give up in Brown or Kapanen, but personally I think Toronto would give Kapanen up. Brown has been good for the Leafs, and fits really well with Kadri and Komarov. He was able to pot in almost 40 points in his first year playing with not even Toronto's best players. Kapanen on the other hand, has been great, but unfortunately his role is easily replaceable with the depth of winger prospects that Toronto has. 

Kapanen looked pretty good in the playoffs too, and had enough dangles in him to create space for big time goals. So given the circumstances of both teams, Kapanen is who I would take back in the trade. Other factors I took into account was NHL pedigree, and being a former 1st round pick. I knew a bit about Kapanen back in the 2014 draft and was surprised he dropped so low to the Penguins. 

Besides Carrick, another name I would throw out there would be Travis Dermott. If I were Toronto I wouldn't be afraid to make a deal that included a 1st, Kapanen, Carrick/Dermott. Depending on whether we get Carrick or Dermott, I would cover potential trade value losses by adding a mid-round pick. With the mid-round pick from Vancouver (should it become available), I would most likely try to use it on a goalie and develop the crap out of him. 

The other option is for Vancouver to move replace that mid-round pick and send one of Skille, Dorsett or whichever 4th line right winger back to play with Boyle and Martin. They can either have a bruising 4th line that can play, or move one of the tough guys up the lineup, and a prospect down the line up that can play freely with Boyle and Martin's protection. This versatility adds logical value to the trade. Personally I don't think this is too much to ask given the fact that we hold the cards, Toronto really needing Tanev (plus he's a local boy), and the fact that Toronto truly does have the surplus to make this trade happen. I believe any of these scenarios makes the most sense.

EDIT: Also forgot, if Toronto's pick lands us Petterson, then that'd be great. Though I'm not sure 100% sure he'll drop there, I do think there is a possibility. Kostin is also intriguing to say the least. 

8 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

We can get Kane as a UFA soon. Terrible ideas people!

I was speculating what the sabres would be looking to offer, not what I would want in return. Tanev for 1st rd pick plus a solid D prospect would be a return I could get behind.

6 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

If he had a choice, I think SR would prefer to be a centreman, but when it comes down to it he'll stay here in Buffalo as long as he gets the contract money that he is looking for after next season.

He's worth more than people on CDC want to give for him, but fair trades for any team on CDC are rare.  If SR ever does make his way to Vancouver for use as a centre in the future, he'll need some serious time in practice on the faceoff dot to get used to draws again.

For sure, but we happen to have a great face off coach. He's also a North Vancouver kid, so he might be more comfortable playing somewhere else, not everyone wants to play at home with that pressure. 

Archived