The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Hall/Larsson trade is a good indicator of the value of a RHS D-Man. Don't forget....

If we were a contender, ask yourself would you trade Horvat to acquire Tanev????   That is what you are asking of Florida by proposing Barkov for Tanev.

6 hours ago, bp79 said:

I was thinking along those lines. I just figured having him here now only because IM a fan of him I think JB is as well. If the Sabres end up trading him it might be a sign and trade type deal, therefore, he won't be around come July 1st 2018

The only x-factor here is Pegula.  It was well known that he was not happy when Kane got in trouble again.  The Pegulas have 3 daughters. 

If Botterill finds a good enough trade for Kane, I can easily see him getting traded straight up for a second line pairing d-man or unproven but blue chip D prospect from a defence heavy team like Anaheim whether there's a new contract in place or not.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The only x-factor here is Pegula.  It was well known that he was not happy when Kane got in trouble again.  The Pegulas have 3 daughters. 

If Botterill finds a good enough trade for Kane, I can easily see him getting traded straight up for a second line pairing d-man or unproven but blue chip D prospect from a defence heavy team like Anaheim whether there's a new contract in place or not.

Is Kane's value hurt by his off ice issues, and (apparent) locker room troubles?  I heard that in the NFL guys like Kane are valued until their play starts to diminish.  I wonder if that's a place where Kane is now?

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

For sure, but we happen to have a great face off coach. He's also a North Vancouver kid, so he might be more comfortable playing somewhere else, not everyone wants to play at home with that pressure. 

Just by virtue of his working well as Eichel's wingman, once Eichel is signed to an extension Botterill is most likely going to turn his attention to SR.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is Kane's value hurt by his off ice issues, and (apparent) locker room troubles?  I heard that in the NFL guys like Kane are valued until their play starts to diminish.  I wonder if that's a place where Kane is now?

The NHL culture is much different than the NFL's.  I think there is much less tolerance for poor behaviour in the NHL.  Kane will have that stigma attached to him for years.  It affects everything from his trade value to GM's reluctance to sign him to a long term contract that young players like him are always looking for.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

The NHL culture is much different than the NFL's.  I think there is much less tolerance for poor behaviour in the NHL.  Kane will have that stigma attached to him for years.  It affects everything from his trade value to GM's reluctance to sign him to a long term contract that young players like him are always looking for.

I wonder if there could be a three way deal where Tanev ends up in TO, and Kane ends up in Vancouver?  What would the Sabres want from the Leafs?

Just now, Alflives said:

I wonder if there could be a three way deal where Tanev ends up in TO, and Kane ends up in Vancouver?  What would the Sabres want from the Leafs?

I don't have a solid handle on Botterill yet, so that's a tough question to answer.  If I had to guess, I'd say a young second line pairing d-man or an unproven blue chip d prospect.  So basically something that neither the Leafs nor the Canucks can afford to part with.  Only defensively heavy teams looking for a little extra goal scoring for a playoff push/run would make that kind of deal.

On 2017-5-11 at 7:20 PM, JamesBlondage said:

Can't believe Scott Cullen believes Toronto could pry Tanev away from the Canucks with Connor Carrick, Brendan Leipsic. And a first round pick. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/cullen-can-see-tanev-to-toronto-for-leipsic-carrick-pick-1.749237

Leipsic looks like he has decent numbers. I dunno. That with a young d man and a first round pick? Seems good to me. 

4 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Leipsic looks like he has decent numbers. I dunno. That with a young d man and a first round pick? Seems good to me. 

That's what I thought too. Connor Carrick is really underrated around here. Everyone seems to want Kapanen + 1st, but CC is at least equivalent value to KK. Add in Leipsic, and it's a good deal for an injury-prone D-man, for a team desperate for skilled prospects.

19 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That's what I thought too. Connor Carrick is really underrated around here. Everyone seems to want Kapanen + 1st, but CC is at least equivalent value to KK. Add in Leipsic, and it's a good deal for an injury-prone D-man, for a team desperate for skilled prospects.

What interest would we have in a 5'10" defenseman who doesn't put up points? 

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What interest would we have in a 5'10" defenseman who doesn't put up points? 

He wasn't used in an offensive role with the Leafs this season. But he had 18 points in 15 games in last year's Calder Cup playoffs. His OHL and WJC numbers were also impressive.

The potential is most certainly there.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

He wasn't used in an offensive role with the Leafs this season. But he had 18 points in 15 games in last year's Calder Cup playoffs. His OHL and WJC numbers were also impressive.

The potential is most certainly there.

Why would the leafs use him in a defensive role. Also he's like 23. His jr numbers were 4 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Why would the leafs use him in a defensive role. Also he's like 23. His jr numbers were 4 years ago. 

Because Zaitsev was their main PP RHD, and they often used 4 forwards?

Because the coach liked Polak, and it took Carrick most of the season to start being used in a top-4 role?

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Because Zaitsev was their main PP RHD, and they often used 4 forwards?

Because the coach liked Polak, and it took Carrick most of the season to start being used in a top-4 role?

You seem pretty high on him. I am not. Like at all. 

15 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You seem pretty high on him. I am not. Like at all. 

Well, he's not a slam-dunk, absolute stud. If he were, Toronto wouldn't consider trading him, a 1st rounder, and another prospect for Tanev.

But as it is...

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

why would we want kane?? wait till he is free,right now we need to rebuild and not give up 2 to 3 good prospects,that would kill our team to get a guy that has issues

we are still rebuilding and have been for a couple years so we can not trade for the likes of a Kane,Reinhart or anything till we have a good team and extra players that will not get a chance with us, then and only then do we trade for a younger player that has upside or guy with two years and becomes a UFA.

Good building starts with good young players and we have some but not enough to make deals to get ahead and that is it we want to get ahead, trading now would not do that

Archived