The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

9 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I understand that underlying numbers point to him as a premiere, or elite, shutdown defenseman. And I'm sure there are teams that covet this. However, being elite in this one regard does not make him an elite defensman overall. I wouldn't look to Toronto trading a 21 year old offensive force for a 27 year old shutdown defenseman. I don't see Tanev ever winning or being nominated for a Norris. Maybe if he played on a great team with a great offensive partner that could change...however, I don't see it at this time.

If if he had an offensive toolkit that added another dimension to his game he could maybe fetch someone like Nylander... but even then, why would Toronto be interested in breaking up the chemistry Willie has with Matthews? I think if we do want to trade him and get a great return, it will probably be to team that covets underlying numbers like Arizona. However, they are likely too undeveloped to want to sell young assets to acquire him. He's already 27, and I'm sure teams are weary about the fact that he has never played a whole season.

We need to find a trade partner that covets his shutdown ability, has a plethora of prospects to trade away, and thinks they are one shutdown defenseman away from winning a cup. I don't see Toronto as this team. Do you? I am not sure who would be. Maybe Anaheim if they fizzle out. Maybe Minnesota or Washington or Dallas. I just get fed up with how this fanbase gets dead set on trading somebody and then wants a kings ransom in return. Then, when it doesn't happen, there is hell to pay. The only way to get this is to have someone who is highly coveted by a number of teams. At least in this circumstance, there is no NTC (at least not yet) that will limit where we can send him. 

Heard Pierre McGuire and another guy (forgot his name) both say this draft is weak.  They think Tanev (even Edler) would be worth a top ten pick, because of this weak draft class.  It's up to JB to make the deal though.  He needs to get on it now, and not wait until it's too late.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Heard Pierre McGuire and another guy (forgot his name) both say this draft is weak.  They think Tanev (even Edler) would be worth a top ten pick, because of this weak draft class.  It's up to JB to make the deal though.  He needs to get on it now, and not wait until it's too late.

I could see this happening. However, we have to ask ourselves, if no one wants these picks is it the right move? Look at the 99 draft class. Aside from the twins basically all the 1st rounders had little to no impact in the NHL. Is this year a repeat of this class? If so, we may be better off looking to move him for a younger prospect who has already established himself, or is at least more surefire to make an impact in the NHL. One nice thing about having JB as our GM is that I feel confident trusting his scouting instincts.

6 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I could see this happening. However, we have to ask ourselves, if no one wants these picks is it the right move? Look at the 99 draft class. Aside from the twins basically all the 1st rounders had little to no impact in the NHL. Is this year a repeat of this class? If so, we may be better off looking to move him for a younger prospect who has already established himself, or is at least more surefire to make an impact in the NHL. One nice thing about having JB as our GM is that I feel confident trusting his scouting instincts.

True.  JB is a great scout.  Maybe he gets picks for the 2018 draft.  I heard the Celtics made a trade with the Nets 4 years ago, that landed them the first overall pick in this coming NBA draft.  Maybe JB could trade now, for future first rounders?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True.  JB is a great scout.  Maybe he gets picks for the 2018 draft.  I heard the Celtics made a trade with the Nets 4 years ago, that landed them the first overall pick in this coming NBA draft.  Maybe JB could trade now, for future first rounders?

it got them a whole lot more than that

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/nba-draft-lottery-2017-boston-celtics-why-lottery-pick-awful-trade-brooklyn-nets-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-breakdown

We could try going that route. Other teams have done so. I wait in eager anticipation like everyone else. I think the biggest thing is going for quality over quantity in any trades. Would much rather see a 1 for 1 swap than a 1 for 2 or 3 piece deal. (Unless it was a deal like the celtics made...I think we can rule out multiple first rounders tho.)

2 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

it got them a whole lot more than that

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/nba-draft-lottery-2017-boston-celtics-why-lottery-pick-awful-trade-brooklyn-nets-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-breakdown

We could try going that route. Other teams have done so. I wait in eager anticipation like everyone else. I think the biggest thing is going for quality over quantity in any trades. Would much rather see a 1 for 1 swap than a 1 for 2 or 3 piece deal. (Unless it was a deal like the celtics made...I think we can rule out multiple first rounders tho.)

Absolutely 100% agree.  

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Lamoriello and Babcock were spotted at Anaheim-Nashville.  Sportsnet speculates that they are scouting Anaheim's Ds.  

Nylander for one of the Anaheim young D guys, like Jaycob Megna?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nylander for one of the Anaheim young D guys, like Jaycob Megna?  

Nylander is not available.  Babcock sees him as their future C2 but he needs to improve his play away from the puck before they move him to C.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Nylander is not available.  Babcock sees him as their future C2 but he needs to improve his play away from the puck before they move him to C.

If TO wants to make a quick fix to their D core, then they will have to give up a better asset than Kapanen.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

this is true,but why not trade for a 1st next year which nobody has said yet????

If JB is smart he would want the pick next year not this year

52 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

this is true,but why not trade for a 1st next year which nobody has said yet????

If JB is smart he would want the pick next year not this year

That would be great, but next year's draft class is supposed to have some really elite guys.  Those first rounders will be more costly, so Tanev or Edler would (likely) not get one.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think a lot is going to happen on June 22nd. the expansion draft will be over and its the day before the entry draft, thats when I think a deal will get done unless some GM really wants to get out in front of it and grab up Tanev and risk losing a different player to Vegas. Jim will probably have suggested deals in place already with GMs, if he hasn't already. I suspect that Jim is one of the guys the Dallas GM mentioned when he said teams had already contacted them about the 3oa. I have no doubt Jim will do his side and make a good offer, but there's squat we can do if another GM isn't interest or we simply get out bid. Having said that tho TO would be idiotic not to grab up Tanev.

4 hours ago, mll said:

That's great but they're not going to get a top pair D without paying with the likes of Marner/Nylander. Tanev or otherwise. 

19 hours ago, cdubuya said:

I believe the 99 class comparison is poor. teams back then didn't need excellent scouts like they do today.  the salary cap has emphasized scouting and finding talent in difficult places.  

combine that with better training programs and year round scouting for players once they become teenagers and there u go.

suddenly talent is developing faster, better, and stronger. and you have more visibility and access to the players like you never had in the 90s.  I believe scouts have always been good but scouting in general has expanded its reach and there is more debate and discussion about these players.

that is why I think the 99 to 2017 comparison is null and void.   if there is as many misses as in the 99 draft at any point in the future I would be worried about the fate of hockey. it would be as if the game fell off a cliff and it just won't happen.

we get more nhl caliber players from the top of these  drafts these days then ever before. you could argue 2003 was the coming out party of better player denvelopment and scouting. 

the media commentators are just spewing out news stories to remain relevant and to fill in their time slots. 

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

That's great but they're not going to get a top pair D without paying with the likes of Marner/Nylander. Tanev or otherwise. 

The market for a legit top pairing Dman (and Tanev is just that - firmly in the conversation for best defensive Dman in the league) is small. Edmonton gave Hall for Larsson. Washington gave a 1st, a 2nd, a 7th, a B prospect and a journeyman for Shattenkirk (who is now a pending UFA).

I'd like to see something like Tanev + Dahlen + 33rd overall for Nylander + Kapanen + 17th overall.

36 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

The market for a legit top pairing Dman (and Tanev is just that - firmly in the conversation for best defensive Dman in the league) is small. Edmonton gave Hall for Larsson. Washington gave a 1st, a 2nd, a 7th, a B prospect and a journeyman for Shattenkirk (who is now a pending UFA).

I'd like to see something like Tanev + Dahlen + 33rd overall for Nylander + Kapanen + 17th overall.

I think you under estimate the market for D. Especially with the ED looming. 

Shattenkirk was a rental fyi. Different market value. 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think you under estimate the market for D. Especially with the ED looming. 

Shattenkirk was a rental fyi. Different market value. 

I believe he was suggesting the supply is small hence the large return.

That's how I read that.

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

that is outrageous.  Dahlen may end up a better player then Nylander.   please dear god no more proposals with our top prospects.

Archived