The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban scouting Ryan Ellis

CanadianRugby

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Oldnews is right that he's still young, but this was his second pro season and he didn't look any better in his own end.  I actually really like him and I'm pulling for him, but you can't teach size and strength and those are the single biggest obstacles in his game.  I guess he could up the compete level in his own end, ala Stetcher, but I don't think that's part of his toolbox the way it is with TS.  This season will be make or break for him, that's pretty obvious.  

So would the club have the same issues with Makar, should he be picked over the likes of Glass and Vilardi?

If Jordan can continue to be effective on the power play while partnered with a bigger and stronger defensive defenseman, it shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

So would the club have the same issues with Makar, should he be picked over the likes of Glass and Vilardi?

If Jordan can continue to be effective on the power play while partnered with a bigger and stronger defensive defenseman, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think it will be interesting to see where Makar gets picked in the end. It isn't unheard of for smaller players to fall in the draft. Jordan Schroeder was ranked 5th for NA skaters, yet he fell into our lap at 22nd.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, shiznak said:

I don't watch awhole lot of Utica games, but from the ones I have seen. He's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

The previous season Subban was in the AHL and McEneny was in the ECHL.  This year one of them got their first NHL game, and it wasn't Subban.  The Canucks certainly need more offense, especially from the back end, but the fact McEneny was given NHL ice before him should be quite telling.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:29 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Alright, all aboard the Subban bandwagon!

I recall PK saying about Jordan that he would be even better than him. Not sure I believe that, maybe just some love from his bro, but it is something to look forward to. I hope he plays with the Canucks a bit this year.

I see what u did there :P

On 5/16/2017 at 2:36 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd certainly like to see Subban get his shot this season. With where we're at, points don't matter all that much, and we can afford to take a few risks.

The fact is that our blueline has been offensively dreadful, and it's a big reason why we're having trouble scoring. It's time to take a chance and get Subban into the lineup to help out with that imo. 

I see what u did there :P

7 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

That's great for the PP. But a problem in your own end in is still a problem. Just like football, the QB knows there's a strong DB on one side and a weak one on the other, he'll try to exploit that weak side. Subban needs to play responsibly and be strong positionally. You don't need size to do that. If he can find that he can be very effective. The only help a partner with size would be is looking after the front of the net for him.

11 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

man, people have no clue

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

“The offensive side has always been a natural for him,” said Green. “When you see the points, you think he’s ready for the NHL, but with young and undersized defencemen, it takes a little time.”

It's the size of the fight in the dog...let's hope Subban comes to camp hungry (and Jake too :P )

9 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Maybe he should convert to wing.  Sounds like has offensive skills but weak d.....  sounds like a winger

Why is it so awful to suggest this? Try it in a pre-season, or young stars game, see how it goes. If he's horrible at wing, you move him back. Having a talented winger on the fourth line that can fill in for injuries or suspensions in a game on defence, makes a very useful utility guy. 

On May 18, 2017 at 11:52 PM, Hutton Wink said:

The previous season Subban was in the AHL and McEneny was in the ECHL.  This year one of them got their first NHL game, and it wasn't Subban.  The Canucks certainly need more offense, especially from the back end, but the fact McEneny was given NHL ice before him should be quite telling.

Well, I mean Subban got called up before McEneny.......does that mean anything?

18 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why is it so awful to suggest this? Try it in a pre-season, or young stars game, see how it goes. If he's horrible at wing, you move him back. Having a talented winger on the fourth line that can fill in for injuries or suspensions in a game on defence, makes a very useful utility guy. 

It's not at all awful.  Unless I'm missing something, I didn't say it was....  and I haven't read all the posts !

maybe he is really a winger miscast as a d this whole time.   Haha!   Not too late!

Archived