The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man Saves Young Girl From Sea Lion

TheHitman

Wow....incredibly lucky.  That guy is a hero.  People are so dumb when it comes to their kids....even without the sea lion there, extremely dangerous to have her sitting there, things happen in a heartbeat.

I understand the parents were likely traumatized, but I hope they thanked that fellow.

We were water skiing in the slough once and I was in the water, about to ski when the people in the boat were pointing at me.  Behind me.  A HUGE sea lion was right behind me.  I never got out of the water so fast!

Was in Steveston on the boardwalk today with a friend.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People are so dumb when it comes to their kids

That's all I was thinking. When the woman (the mother?) says "It's so cute", I just slapped my head.

People, animals don't have feelings like you and me. We project how we feel onto them. So when you see an animal you are not used to seeing (ie: not domesticated), don't assume it's harmless. Stay the frick away.

Parents need to wake up.

lol @ "killer sea lion" -- I bet you could count the number of sea lion-caused human deaths in the last ten years on one hand

no doubt that animal has been hand fed by tourists at that spot for years, so when people stand there gawking at him, holding out their hands, he's going to get aggressive or curious. 

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

That's all I was thinking. When the woman (the mother?) says "It's so cute", I just slapped my head.

People, animals don't have feelings like you and me. We project how we feel onto them. So when you see an animal you are not used to seeing (ie: not domesticated), don't assume it's harmless. Stay the frick away.

Parents need to wake up.

If you want to see really stupid:

It actually pisses me off that this is encouraged. Cuz if the mum ever protects the cub then they'll go and kill it. So selfish. Sorry, derailing a bit.

As GJ said, it's obvious that he's been hand fed ... seemed like he ate something right beforehand?   People just don't clue in..."wild" animals + food = aggressive.  They get locked in on the food part. 

12 hours ago, The Weasel said:

If you want to see really stupid:

It actually pisses me off that this is encouraged. Cuz if the mum ever protects the cub then they'll go and kill it. So selfish. Sorry, derailing a bit.

Once when my dad, brother and i were going to leduc for a ball tournament we saw a family parked on the side of the road looking into the trees, so we pulled over and got out to ask if they needed help. They told us that they had thought they saw a bear so they were throwing rocks to try and get it to come out, i dont think i ever moved so fast in my life to get back to the car and get out of there... i hope they had nice funerals.

That went crazy really fast. Obviously they shouldn't have fed it and she shouldn't have sat there. Nobody should be blaming the sea lion. Good on the guy (don't think he was a family member) for jumping in so quickly. Sure hope the sea lion isn't attempted to be found or put down for this. 

3 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Courageous effort by that guy, didn't hesitate for a second. That girl definitely shouldn't have been sitting so close to the sea lion. 

Stupid, stupid people. This is a wild creature not a member of some &^@#ing petting zoo. Kudos to the guy who went into the water for the little girl. Hopefully a lesson was learned here. It's the same with the morons who stop their cars in the middle of the highway and get out to photograph the mama grizzly and her cubs. Like THAT'S not a scenario for all sorts of everything to go wrong, too. But it's dem animals what is bad, dontcha know.....

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm surprised that the seal did this.. maybe its used to getting food from people and reacted in a weird way. People forget that the ocean is actually the wilderness. 

ITS NOT A SEAL, its a Sea LION. get it right. very different animals.

Archived