The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edler waive that no trade for Dallas!

6 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Edler

Eriksson (who played really well for them and is way better than his last year here

Subban

Bachman

for

3rd overall

33rd overall

Honka

Neimi

Lethnonen

They get top 6, top4, cap relief and expansion eligible goalie.  We get the prospect swap just because why not.  Subban is an AHL all-star, so it shouldn't look that bad on paper.  Who holds up  a deal like that on a minor thing like a prospect swap?

Their bottom 6 is bad so I would consider throwing in Dorsett or a 3rd to 5th round pick to round it out.

Dallas really likes Honka, he's probably untouchable on their roster.  Not sure we can take both goalies off their hands but there is a price to pay for cap dumping so we should look at acquiring picks/prospects for a cap dump.

Other targets for cap dump would be Wash (Orpik), Rangers (Staal, Girardi) or Tbay (Callahan).  Plus all are in a market for top 4 dmen. There's a market here that Benning should be exploring cause the Coyotes GM is all over this already.

54 minutes ago, SuitcaseSmith said:

I wouldn't trade Edler this summer as I don't think it maximizes his value as an asset. Alex would be more likely to waive his NTC at the trade deadline once he knows for sure which teams are going to be in the playoffs and will have the best chance for a cup run. I would rather see how Alex does under the Travis Green regime and re-evaluate the possibility of trading him (or not) before the TDL next season.   We might find that Alex has a resurgence and then we would be in a better situation to use him as a potential trading chip or else consider keeping him if he is having a great influence on the younger D.  

I am not sure if he's more likely to waive at the TDL.  He said in the exit presser that he won't waive it.  We need to capitalize on his experience with Klingberg and playing competitive hockey.  This might compel him to waive now.  

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

To Dallas Edler 30% retained

To Vancouver Lehtonen, Niemi 3rd OA

To Arizona  Tanev and Van 2nd round pick

To Vancouver 7th OA and one of MacInnis/Merkley or Samuelsson

Draft: 3rd, 5th, 7th.

Quick tear it apart :P

As before, Edler and Tanev in particular I believe are worth more than that.  Tanev goes to Dallas or Arizona for BOTH their firsts (Anaheim #28-31/Minny 23rd) and perhaps a warm body, and we send back a second round pick, only taking back a cap dump goalie if absolutely necessary to close the deal.  Edler and Tanev are worth more than just magic beans, especially in this draft year.  Our second round pick alone could have significant value to pick up a first round faller, thus we offer the CBJ.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

As before, Edler and Tanev in particular I believe are worth more than that.  Tanev goes to Dallas or Arizona for BOTH their firsts (Anaheim #28-31/Minny 23rd) and perhaps a warm body, and we send back a second round pick, only taking back a cap dump goalie if absolutely necessary to close the deal.  Edler and Tanev are worth more than just magic beans, especially in this draft year.  Our second round pick alone could have significant value to pick up a first round faller, thus we offer the CBJ.

I wouldn't mind either

Trade A                                                                                                                                 Trade B

To Vancouver                                                                                                                        To Vancouver

2017 3rd OA                                                                                                                          2017 29 OA (Ana)

Lehtonen                                                                                                                                2017 39 OA (Dallas)

FOR                                                                                  OR

To Dallas                                                                                                                                To Dallas

Edler                                                                                                                                       Edler

Eriksson at 40% retained                                                                                                       2017 93 OA (Van)

Thing is, just because Edler has 1 good Tournament, doesn't mean he should be worth a lot more than before.....sort of the same thing as juniors.....the value does go up slightly, but not a big jump. I would be happy with either of these trades.

18 minutes ago, Crotch_Crescent said:

You must hope playing with Klingberg and the prospect of competitive hockey helps him to say "yes" trade me to Dallas! 

He has always said he likes playing in Vancouver..likes the city as well. If you play hardball  with him that gets around the league like gossip on face book.

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Edler + our late 2nd round pick for Dallas' first please. Otherwise we keep Edler. Say what you want about him but we're a much worse team without him and pretty much commit to missing the playoffs without him. Don't have much on that left side right now as it is. Trading Tanev is alright, we've got Stecher, Gudbranson and possibly Subban on the right side but if we lose Edler we're stuck with Hutton and Sbisa to fill the gap. One injury and it's the season done.

We have Biega and McEneny on the right as well. McEneny shoots left but likes to play his opposite side so he could still be used in a pinch as left side coverage. On the left we have Pedan, plus Juolevi and Brisebois, so while we are a bit shorter there without Edler (and without Tryamkin) we could easily add depth in the UFA market. Injuries could really derail a season regardless.

But moving Edler has to be worthwhile. If we aren't targeting Dallas' 1st (which I'm sure they're asking a lot for but they also want to compete and won't get many takers at a high asking price - or a fit like Edler's already shown to be) then I would want a decent sweetener for the later 1st from Anaheim for sure. Someone like Heatherington or even Oleksiak would have to be a starting point in the latter case.

And, as already noted, a cap dump goalie back to us in an Edler deal more than evens the field to help get the 3rd overall. If for some reason Patrick falls, then we have first crack to take him, then we can take our other choice at 5th. There's a possibility there though for Dallas if they decide they want to compete in the next 2-3 years rather than go through a re-tool.

22 hours ago, Agoork said:

Edler to Dallas for Anaheim 1st and Dallas 2nd (39)   or   

Edler for swap of 1sts  (5th and 3rd) and Anaheim 1st (29th?)

I'd rather gain 2 picks, than do the swap, but would be happy with either option.

You know Benning will want a guy who's already been seasoned, not draft picks. 

9 hours ago, Crotch_Crescent said:

Dallas really likes Honka, he's probably untouchable on their roster.  Not sure we can take both goalies off their hands but there is a price to pay for cap dumping so we should look at acquiring picks/prospects for a cap dump.

Other targets for cap dump would be Wash (Orpik), Rangers (Staal, Girardi) or Tbay (Callahan).  Plus all are in a market for top 4 dmen. There's a market here that Benning should be exploring cause the Coyotes GM is all over this already.

How about Tanev to the rangers for Krieder and a pick plus cap dump? Just spitballing. 

9 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

How about Tanev to the rangers for Krieder and a pick plus cap dump? Just spitballing. 

I like krieder, he's kinda what virtanen should strive to become. I am for getting any of the rangers 23-26 year old players (Miller, Hayes, Zbad, Krieder).  Not sure if Edler will waive for Rangers, the King will need to promote the team hard.  Tanev seems to be a better fit for the rangers, I created another thread saying tanev for buchnevich/1st rounder and a cap dump (girardi or staal).  So this is something Benning should explore, use our cap to get prospects/picks like Coyotes and Hurricanes did last year.

6 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Rangers laugh and hangup 

They are pretty stacked up front and will lose probably mike grabber in the exp draft, so not far fetched for them to move a forward.  They would probably want to move Rick Nash before Krieder though (age, contract, declining value, etc)

12 hours ago, ice orca said:

He has always said he likes playing in Vancouver..likes the city as well. If you play hardball  with him that gets around the league like gossip on face book.

I don't think they should play hard ball, just ask the guy if he wants to go to a contender.  If not, then you still got a solid top 4 dman at reasonable cost for 2 years.  The losing over the next yr might get to him though and when hank/Danny retire he might want outta here too.  Thanks Mike Gillis for all these no trade/move clauses!

On 2017-5-21 at 10:37 PM, Pears said:

I'm all for getting another first and I think us and Dallas are a pretty good fit for trade partners right now but the 28th-31st overall by itself isn't enough for Edler. 

Edler might be worth more than that, but with his no trade clause I kind of feel like we should take just about anything for him rather than lose him for nothing.  

I don't think only a first rounder for Edler is that far off.  Maybe we get a late pick or B prospect as well, but I don't think Edler's value has suddenly sky rocketed just because he had a good tournament.  

21 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

You know Benning will want a guy who's already been seasoned, not draft picks. 

And why do we know that? He's already worked on filling that 20+ year old group and has some prospects starting to fill in as well, so he'll be looking to find picks he can use to turn into more players as the rebuild continues. He doesn't want to trade draft picks as he recently said, so why wouldn't he add more?

On 5/22/2017 at 9:19 PM, elvis15 said:

Someone like Heatherington or even Oleksiak would have to be a starting point in the latter case.

Edler + Pedan + CBJ 2nd to DAL for Oleksiak + 3rd OA + Lehtonen.

Archived