The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Edler the more valuable asset?

cuporbust

Edler or Tanev?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

So, is Edler the best #4 D in the league? And no, this is NOT a slight on him, but a mere observation on how and when he plays his best hockey.  He is best when not overworked.  He is best in support.  A #4.

#2D trending to a #3D as he ages. 

He'd be just fine on a first pair with a legit #1D and a good 2nd pair behind them with his minutes held under 22 for the most part. He'd be FANTASTIC as the 2 way presence of a 2nd pair behind a good 1st pair playing closer to 20. That would be a pleasant luxury for that team.

Moving from #5 to #3 is worth practically nothing. Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick in my mind. If you're talking about Edler straight up for the third pick, that is laughable. Unless he returns to his 2009-2013 form, he wouldn't fetch us anything better than 15th on his own in my opinion. In his old peak form assuming his current age, he probably fetches an 8-12 pick, depending on the draft quality.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Moving from #5 to #3 is worth practically nothing. Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick in my mind. If you're talking about Edler straight up for the third pick, that is laughable. Unless he returns to his 2009-2013 form, he wouldn't fetch kus anything better than 15th on his own in my opinion. In his old peak form assuming his current age, he probably fetches an 8-12 pick, depending on the draft quality.

I mean acquiring it outright. I would rather have heiskanen or Makar then keep Edler for the few years he has left as a top pairing d man. Yes , it would have to be a package , but it is more then possible imo. 

Just now, cuporbust said:

I mean acquiring it outright. I would rather have heiskanen or Makar then keep Edler for the few years he has left as a top pairing d man.  

That's fair, but as I said in my first post, I don't think Edler on his own is even close to worth the #3 pick.

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Taking niemi and retaining might get it done with a 4th 

Indeed, if we either offer something to them on top of Edler, a deal could get done. I would rather trade Edler than Tanev, no doubt, but I do believe him to be worth less and frankly harder to trade due to his clause.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Indeed, if we either offer something to them on top of Edler, a deal could get done. I would rather trade Edler than Tanev, no doubt, but I do believe him to be worth less and frankly harder to trade due to his clause.

Honestly, the worlds actually made a fairly big impact on that. Yes , it was a short tourney , but proving he is still capable of that type, and level of play may have interested some teams. They may see him as needing a change of scenery instead of incapable.    

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Honestly, the worlds actually made a fairly big impact on that. Yes , it was a short tourney , but proving he is still capable of that type, and level of play may have interested some teams. They may see him as needing a change of scenery instead of incapable.    

You may be right in that the change of scenery may be what other teams see, but there's still the issue that Edler seems very resistant to moving based on what he's said. He hasn't said anything ambiguous on the subject, only that he wants to stay in Vancouver. I think that clause will be a roadblock and why I'd guess he won't be traded.

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys. Just read this article about Edler's world championship performance , and to me , the question is who is actually the more valuable asset, Tanev or Edler? There has been tons of speculation on Tanev being the best piece to move , but i would argue that even with age considered, Edler just might be a better fit with the teams looking to add a top d man. 

Granted there are age and NTC issues with Edler, but he does bring a more physical game , and more offense ability as well. 

Thoughts ? 

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-alex-edler-makes-big-impact-at-2017-iihf-world-championship/c-289484132

Screenshot_2017-05-24-14-16-23-1.png

I think Tanev is the more valuable trade piece and Edler the better player to retain and use a stabilizing force for what will be a fairly young blueline.

10 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I think Tanev is the more valuable trade piece and Edler the better player to retain and use a stabilizing force for what will be a fairly young blueline.

Yes that is a good point 

17 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Edler is so inconsistent I doubt one could call him a "stabilizing" force. 

Him playing in this last tournament was probably the best possible thing to happen to his value in the eyes of the NHL (Canucks fans already know what we have in him). I'd wager that a few gm's will be calling about him in the next couple months. He still has a lot of hockey to play and if I had to guess he wants to be playing meaningful games in March. Hainsey is a good example on Pitt of an older 2-way Dman who still has a lot of value on a deep contending team, and someone who actually looks quite good when playing with the right partner. Edler could easily be that player for a Tampa bay, or Toronto. 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tanev is more valuable, but Edler would probably still get interest if we wanted to trade him. 

"think they are both great. Edler, as we all know, plays better in certain systems (AV)  He looked really good at the worlds had obvious chemistry with klingburg, so maybe there might be something there. Depending on the system Hitch plays. All I know is the Canucks have some of their worst records when Edler is out. And he does bring more of a complete game. Or we roll the dice and hope he finds that chemistry with green and whoever is his partner next year. 

If its all about capitalising on his value I think he goes sooner. I'm fine either way.

Archived