The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Edler the more valuable asset?

cuporbust

Edler or Tanev?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Limited NTC on Zaitsev when he turns 27.

Didn't we have one of those limited ones on Vrbata?  He screwed us over by supplying a list of teams he knew didn't want him.  I guess this is just how the business works now.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we have one of those limited ones on Vrbata?  He screwed us over by supplying a list of teams he knew didn't want him.  I guess this is just how the business works now.

Vrbata signed out early in the game. As soon as he was off the Sedins line his time with the Canucks was over. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that list of teams has pretty much become every NHL team, but Arizona.

If he showed that he can still play when he wants to but when it comes to defending at crucial time, he failed this performance for us and burned us too many times.    He is more difficult to move due to his NTC and he has more saying on where to go and would fetch less return.   He is also difficult to move because of his play in last two years and GM will make a note of that.   Maybe making a deal with Vegas by exposing Edler for a return if Vegas wants him, for a pick or future considerations deals for exposing and selecting Edler at expansion draft and use that to give one of our prospect to Vegas for more returns.  Future consideration deal can involves Edler asking for trades when playing for Vegas in return in future deals and Vegas and the Canucks can get some asset back in future trades using future consideration deals when Vegas trade Edler playing for Vegas.    In my opinion, it's harder to make a trade with Edler with the Canucks than Vegas.  So make a deal with Vegas to recoup the asset back using this route.   

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

That is unfortunately part of Bennings early legacy.  If the team was smart they would have tried to package the Sedins in 2013.  

That ship has sailed.

There will continue to be a struggle between putting fans in seats and rebuilding properly. I think that not rebuilding with some exciting skilled young players will come back and bite them.  The fans do not want to watch a 37 year old goal tender and the rest of the aging crew. Fans want a young fast team and will support nothing less.

I can't see Edler going for anything with any real value. A nonchalant defenseman on the wrong side of 30 with back problems to boot will force interested GMs to think again about giving up prime assets IMO. The problem is further compounded with his NTC, he'll most likely only agree to go to one or two teams (if he agrees to waive at all) which will drive e his value down even further.

IMO 3rdOA is out of the question, even a mid-first is a stretch. The best I can see is a 2nd rounder + a B prospect for Edler. Taking one of their goalies off of their hands would help, but would still not be worth it for Dallas to give up the 3rdOA. I hope I'm wrong obviously but I just don't see it happening.

2 hours ago, Sweathog said:

I can't see Edler going for anything with any real value. A nonchalant defenseman on the wrong side of 30 with back problems to boot will force interested GMs to think again about giving up prime assets IMO. The problem is further compounded with his NTC, he'll most likely only agree to go to one or two teams (if he agrees to waive at all) which will drive e his value down even further.

IMO 3rdOA is out of the question, even a mid-first is a stretch. The best I can see is a 2nd rounder + a B prospect for Edler. Taking one of their goalies off of their hands would help, but would still not be worth it for Dallas to give up the 3rdOA. I hope I'm wrong obviously but I just don't see it happening.

I agree with the inconsistent play over the years but I have not seen a decline in his game like the Sedins. He is a big body who can handle the big bodies in the western conference. I am sorry but Stecher, Tanev, Hutton and Biega just don't have what it takes to move bodies out of the crease like he does.

He is a top 4 D and seeing recently what a top D goes for these days(Larsson) I would say he is worth more on the open market then you think.

42 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I'd move him +33rd overall for 3rd overall to Dallas AND take on Lehtonen's contract. Why the heck not?

Especially if Philly takes Middlestadt, and Patrick falls to three.  That would be HUGE for us.  

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree with the inconsistent play over the years but I have not seen a decline in his game like the Sedins. He is a big body who can handle the big bodies in the western conference. I am sorry but Stecher, Tanev, Hutton and Biega just don't have what it takes to move bodies out of the crease like he does.

He is a top 4 D and seeing recently what a top D goes for these days(Larsson) I would say he is worth more on the open market then you think.

Mabye he's worth more but I don't see it, so we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this. He can eat up minutes, but doesn't play with a lot of heart and he doesn't seem to have his mind on the game from time to time. And don't forget that he's stated that he would rather stay here, so if he agrees to waive it would likely be reluctantly, so any GM who trades for him would be taking on a player whose motivation would be in question.

IMO a GM would have to be insane to give up quality assets for someone like Edler. I think what's more likely to happen is what happened with the Kesler deal, where we got a solid but underwhelming return. A 2nd + a B prospect seems like a more reasonable return.

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

Edler has been in the league for a while, is established and is a T2D.

Horvat is a 2C with quite a lot of potential.

Horvats impact on our team kind of reminded me of how Turris drove the play for Ottawa.   I hope Horvat continues to excel. he actually looks like he could be a legit first line center.

when we drafted him I thought he'd be in the 2nd line range but I think he has surpassed almost everyone's expectations.  I believe Horvat, Boeser, and Juolevi are likely going to be big leaders for our group long term. Guddy will definitely play a role in the interm. I can see us keeping guddy into his early 30s.  

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, just like those idiots hung on to Burr and Hansen last TDL!

...oh, wait...

those moves were so crucial.  after seeing what burr brought to ottawa down the stretch and into the post season I'm a little more sad now.

Dahlen is obviously an amazing talent and I wouldn't reverse the trade at all. but I think his presence speaks to the importance of culture carriers.

making lots of moves sounds nice but I want to make sure we keep those carriers who can prevent breakdowns and lead us into the next era.

16 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Edler is a steadily declining 30 year old who makes countless mental errors on a nightly basis. He looks very disinterested most of the time and never lived up to potential IMO. It is more than ever a young mans game and horvat is Vancouver's best young player right now with tons of upside. I'd be surprised if any gm would take edler over horvat in a trade 

I agree. I don't see how Edler garners more then Horvat.  Horvat would net you another legit young player.  Edler might bring a lot of picks but I don't ever see this team moving Horvat for picks.   

he, Juolevi and Boeser will be the face of this franchise for the years to come.  stecher has good appeal for advertisement too being a local guy.

so excited for the nhl entry draft.  combine and expansion draft first though I suppose :)

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I missed the games where he was moving bodies out of the crease, i did catch a few when he "grapped" a player effectively creating a much better screen for miller/marky.

10 hours ago, Sweathog said:

Mabye he's worth more but I don't see it, so we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this. He can eat up minutes, but doesn't play with a lot of heart and he doesn't seem to have his mind on the game from time to time. And don't forget that he's stated that he would rather stay here, so if he agrees to waive it would likely be reluctantly, so any GM who trades for him would be taking on a player whose motivation would be in question.

IMO a GM would have to be insane to give up quality assets for someone like Edler. I think what's more likely to happen is what happened with the Kesler deal, where we got a solid but underwhelming return. A 2nd + a B prospect seems like a more reasonable return.

Hancuffed....and benning will get raked over the coals for the return just the same as some do over the kesler trades.

5 hours ago, Dannydog said:

I missed the games where he was moving bodies out of the crease, i did catch a few when he "grapped" a player effectively creating a much better screen for miller/marky.

Well I guess you did. :) He was also the only defenseman last year who could stand up to players such as Lucic and Getzlaf along the boards. The other D men are just too small although Hutton did his best as did Biega.

On May 24, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Edler is so inconsistent I doubt one could call him a "stabilizing" force. 

I understand where you are coming from but honestly, I think that perception is more based on the fact we see him all the time and end up focusing on the negatives. Like any fan I get frustrated with how he can coughs up the puck or how he constantly gets his shots blocked but the reality is that he is a clear #2 d-man in the NHL. His impact is apparent when he is out of the line-up...he has his negatives but at the end of the day he is a stabilizing force for the young guys.

12 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I understand where you are coming from but honestly, I think that perception is more based on the fact we see him all the time and end up focusing on the negatives. Like any fan I get frustrated with how he can coughs up the puck or how he constantly gets his shots blocked but the reality is that he is a clear #2 d-man in the NHL. His impact is apparent when he is out of the line-up...he has his negatives but at the end of the day he is a stabilizing force for the young guys.

I think we can say that for a lot of Dmen over the years. Jovo, Ohlund, Dirk to name a few. At the end of the day, his over all size, experience and skill trump younger quicker dmen unless your name is Karlsson. ::D It is very apparent like the above person said when he is NOT in the line up.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I think we can say that for a lot of Dmen over the years. Jovo, Ohlund, Dirk to name a few. At the end of the day, his over all size, experience and skill trump younger quicker dmen unless your name is Karlsson. ::D It is very apparent like the above person said when he is NOT in the line up.

Agreed. Perhaps one of the biggest factors in people's expectations of Edler dates back to the Gillis era when Gillis suggested that Edler could be the next Lindstrom. While it's pretty obvious such a comparison is unlikely, I still remember a lot of people on CDC talking about that comment. I think it was dangerous territory for Gillis to tread in as the expectations because incredibly high for Edler to the point where it's been unfair.

Edler's one of those players who does make a difference, and a big difference at that. However, he's not Lindstrom. He is Edler and that, I think, is what people need to remember. The hate goggles doesn't really fit very well and need a recall in my opinion. :)

Archived