The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-2018 line up (with what we have)

Caniners77

On 06/09/2017 at 4:05 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with McEneny. I think management probably has him Utica bound. But Green might have something to say about that. As you noted, he was probably Utica's best D in the second half of last season, and earned much praise from his coach. If McEneny shows well at camp/preseason, I could see Green advocating for him sticking around. And if that's the case, I imagine management will listen to the coach (especially in the first season following a coaching change).

I think that management believes that McEneny will get poached on the waiver wire.  That's a much, much bigger loss than Corrado was.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that management believes that McEneny will get poached on the waiver wire.  That's a much, much bigger loss than Corrado was.

Oh yeah, I'm with you 100% on McEneny being much more valuable than Corrado. And of the 4 waiver eligible Ds sitting "on the bubble" for the 7/8 spots, I'm hoping we keep Wiercioch and McEneny. 

But I also know management really likes Biega and the Sifers signing in Utica seems to be telegraphing the intention for Biega filling one of the defensive depth spots on the Canucks roster. 

Not sure where management rank Wiercioch and Pedan. I'm thinking they like Wiercioch enough that they'd prefer to keep him in Vancouver. And it seems like they still have a fair amount of belief in  Pedan (not really a sentiment I share but I do concede he has a unique skill set and could be very useful if he can somehow lock down the actual hockey part of the equation).

That all said, I'm expecting at least one D to be on IR before opening night, which should hopefully provide enough space to carry McEneny to start the season, regardless of who else management likes for the top-8 Ds.

And if he plays well, he could easily lock down the #7 slot and possibly move up the order depending on what opportunities are created by injuries or earned through his performance.

I rate McEneny quite high and would love to see him become the "surprise" player who emerges this season (in a similar fashion to Hutton and Stecher in recent years).

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That all said, I'm expecting at least one D to be on IR before opening night, which should hopefully provide enough space to carry McEneny to start the season, regardless of who else management likes for the top-8 Ds.

And if he plays well, he could easily lock down the #7 slot and possibly move up the order depending on what opportunities are created by injuries or earned through his performance.

I rate McEneny quite high and would love to see him become the "surprise" player who emerges this season (in a similar fashion to Hutton and Stecher in recent years).

He may not be "quite" ready now but maybe sufficiently so to have him cycle into the bottom pairing.  Will also be interesting to see how well Holm adjusts and if he gains traction in Utica.  These would greatly help grease the skids for the inevitable Edler transition.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think if this happens, Juolevi might get his 9 games. 

Two of Wiercioch, Pedan, McEneny and Biega get waived regardless IMO. They'll try to sneak them down the same time as everyone else/Vegas waiving their 80 guys :lol:

Baerstchi-Horvat-Vanek

Sedin-Sedin-Ganger 

Eriksson-Granlund-Boeser

Rodin-Sutter-Dorsett

Or

Baerstchi-Horvat-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Vanek-Sutter-Ganger

Rodin-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Or

Baerstchi-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Vanek

Ganlund-Sutter-Rodin

Eriksson-Ganger-Virtanen 

There is countless other ways the opening lineup could change this season. When's the last time the canucks had this kind of quality in their competition at training camp? I personally think we will see a lineup closest to the last one I posted (Dorsett instead of Virtanen though) with Burmistrov filling in as 13th man and earning minutes when injuries strike.

IF

If Boeser and one other impress and stick after camp, what happens?

What if Goldy, Boeser and Virtanen are all doing great?

What happens to those new UFAs?

If it's crowded after camp with kids earning spots, with depth to spare, is there a trade to make or is it just going to be guys buried in the minors? 

I see:

Sedins and Granny

Baer Bo Boe 

Eriksson Sutter Vanek

Virtanen Gagner Dorsett

leaving 

Brum, Boucher, Goldy and Rodin which are all great players. And Gaunce, once healthy. That's lots of great, but mediocre players and only a few spots. So does he keep the kids and develop them in the NHL or does he send them down to Utica to develop there? Seems like both places will be full of 2nd line wingers. I find this all interesting and am curious how they choose to handle contracts. 

This is is the only Canucks camp I can think of with such a roadblock for scoring line options since... 

3 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Sedin Sedin Grandlund
Rodin Horvat Erikson
Baer Gagner Vanek
Upshall Sutter Virtanen
Gaunce Burmistrov

Edler Stetcher
Hutton Tanev
Del Zotto Gudbranson
Biega McEneny

Markstrom
Nilson

Don't know if we have room for Upshall AND Virtanen - I think it's one or the other - and I probably swap Granlund and Gagner but that's basically my starting lineup other than I also have Wiercioch over McEneny on D.

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner

Rodin, Horvat, Eriksson

Baer, Granlund, Vanek

Burmistrov, Sutter, Virt/Upshall

Gaunce

(After 'official' roster is submitted, Gaunce goes on IR and we recall someone as 13th F. Perhaps that's where Upshall and Virt come in to play, Virt gets papered down initially, Upshall becomes 13th.)

Edler, Stecher

Hutton, Tanev

MDZ, Gudbranson

Wiercioch, Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

On 9/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, playboi19 said:

Prediction: Rodin steals Baertschi's spot

Fair point! Something's gotta give with the crowded forward group... we gotta make room for Virtanen, Goldobin and Boeser are all ready for prime time! I'm fine taking a 2nd round pick for Baertschi. 

3 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Fair point! Something's gotta give with the crowded forward group... we gotta make room for Virtanen, Goldobin and Boeser are all ready for prime time! I'm fine taking a 2nd round pick for Baertschi. 

Why? Wouldn't be a nice change to acually have quality call ups available when injuries happen rather than the career ahl'ers we've had available the past three seasons?

Sedin Sedin Glodobin (played well together at the end of the year) 

Baertschi Horvat Granlund (beartscji has chem with both, gives face off options in case of a kick out of the circle

Rodin Gagner Eriksson (seems like an ok 3rd line) 

Burmistrov Sutter Vanek (this line has been used in practice if i am not mistaken.

Dorsett in the press box

Edler Stecher (top d pair last year)

Hutton Tanev (two really solid D)

Mdz Gudbranson (used in practice i think) 

Markstrom

Nilsson 

Boeser goes to utica. Its never a bad thing to start in the ahl. If he shows well then like stecher he will be up in 10 games or so. 

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Why? Wouldn't be a nice change to acually have quality call ups available when injuries happen rather than the career ahl'ers we've had available the past three seasons?

Baertschi's play is too average. Rodin looked better than him in the preseason last year before he got injured. He looks like he's put on some more muscle this summer as well. We'll thank Tree for gifting us Granlund but Baer isn't what we had hoped.

34 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Baertschi's play is too average. Rodin looked better than him in the preseason last year before he got injured. He looks like he's put on some more muscle this summer as well. We'll thank Tree for gifting us Granlund but Baer isn't what we had hoped.

A decent 2nd liner? I'd say that's fair return.

Archived