The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-2018 line up (with what we have)

Caniners77

On 17/09/2017 at 4:38 PM, Alflives said:

It's a team that will get us another top five pick:)

Doubtful. This team is much better than last year, the depth alone will give us a shot for playoffs imo. Although with so many new faces chemistry may take a bit to set in, I expect a pretty slow start but if injuries aren't an issue we will finish strong. 

7 hours ago, cyoung said:

Doubtful. This team is much better than last year, the depth alone will give us a shot for playoffs imo. Although with so many new faces chemistry may take a bit to set in, I expect a pretty slow start but if injuries aren't an issue we will finish strong. 

I don't know if that's good for our rebuild though?  Our core players (other than Bo) will all be older, and not around when the next core comes up.  I really feel we need more elite prospects, so when that next group does mature (and take over) they will be top notch, and not just middle of the pack - average.  Getting that 101 points in WD's first season, IMHAO, set our rebuild back a step.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if that's good for our rebuild though?  Our core players (other than Bo) will all be older, and not around when the next core comes up.  I really feel we need more elite prospects, so when that next group does mature (and take over) they will be top notch, and not just middle of the pack - average.  Getting that 101 points in WD's first season, IMHAO, set our rebuild back a step.

While we did get lucky with Brock, the other picks that year slid or were non existent, so I agree with your sentiment.

8 hours ago, cyoung said:

We've got more skill but probably took a hit in the grit and goal tending departments, D is largely a wash (lost Tryamkin and Sbisa but gained back Guddy and added MDZ). 

The depth you mention will be our biggest improvement. This year when injuries hit, we can recall actual players instead of Megna's. That should help but that still places us as likely a bottom 10...maybe bubble team if things go really well.

8 hours ago, cyoung said:

Yup, the trip to China won't help either.  Likely slow out of the gate in the first month or two, but then once the systems are in place it'll be interesting how the team responds.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see what you mean, but the approach of taking our time with our prospects and having them grow in a competitive environment will hopefully give us results. They've said the goal I not to sit at the bottom of the league and collect first overalls... I like what they are doing so far. I was feeling the opposite last year. 

On 9/18/2017 at 2:19 AM, DudePerfect said:

i think our best lineup is:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Gagner - Vanek

Burmistrov - Sutter - Virtanen

- no grit, but a more balanced 4 line team in comparison to last year

- Dorsett better suited to play a 13th fwd role with the injury he had last year

- can see Gaunce taking Virtanen's place if Jake does not have a good start to the year

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

MDZ - Gudbranson

- have Wiercoch & Holm as the extra D

- pretty much set on D, no real surprises

- Juolevi is guarenteed to start over in Finland, does not look like he is ready to take the next step

Markstrom

Nilsson

I think:

Sedins Grandlund

Baer Bo Vanek

Erix Sutter Gagner

Rodin Burmi Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stetch

MDZ Guddy

Marky 

Nilsson

Boeser could make the roster at some point but I am not sure if it will be at the start of the season. 

Virtanen and Gaunce could be mid season call up. (depending on Rodin's performance and Dorsett's durability)

5 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I think:

Sedins Grandlund

Baer Bo Vanek

Erix Sutter Gagner

Rodin Burmi Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stetch

MDZ Guddy

Marky 

Nilsson

Boeser could make the roster at some point but I am not sure if it will be at the start of the season. 

Virtanen and Gaunce could be mid season call up. (depending on Rodin's performance and Dorsett's durability)

Gaunce a mid season call up?? That's if he passes the waiver wire!! I'm not ready to give up on him yet... a reliable 4th line centre with size and grit for $700k!!!

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, the trip to China won't help either.  Likely slow out of the gate in the first month or two, but then once the systems are in place it'll be interesting how the team responds.

And maybe the trip could help.   The majority of our opening lineup is practicing and playing games together rather than being put thru the usual pre-season lineup blender.  That should help the new FA's (Gagner, Vanek, MDZ, Burmy) integrate.

17 hours ago, cyoung said:

I hope your right. I think they aren't even close but I'm good with being wrong. Goaltending is an issue.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I hope your right. I think they aren't even close but I'm good with being wrong. Goaltending is an issue.

I would say a question mark rather than an issue. We could have 2 number one goalies, or 2 backups. Most of the team are question marks. Do Bo, Baer, Granny, Stecher, Hutton, etc. continue to blossom? Are Jake, Brock, Goldy etc NHL ready? Will the twins and LE bounce back? Is Guddy the force on D that he appeared to be before he came here? Will the new guys fit in and contribute? All the question marks will make them interesting to watch.

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Problem is?

What if every team through in the towell & tanked?

Once your team / our team is on the ropes. I have no problem selling at the deadline? But failing to put in an effort to try and be competitive goes against the essence of sport.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Vanek

Granlund Sutter Gagner

Eriksson Burmistrov Virtanen 

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Weircioch Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson 

- give the first line a chance to build chemistry under our new coach, and adjust to facing top pairing defensemen in a year without serious playoff pressure. Canucks get a clearer picture of future top 6, and gaps to be filled through draft/trade, etc.

- Sedins finish their contract year with a proven sniper/motivated UFA. Big bodied, RHS, net front presence, with enough skill & hockey IQ to keep up with the twins. Objective:  build Vanek's  TDL value to a 1st.  If successful, they take pressure off Bo's line, and maybe re-sign all 3 for one more year. 

- 3rd line of all Centres provide solid backchecking, faceoffs, and counterattack offense with playmaking from the wings. Focus is winning possession in defensive zone draws, adapting to new FO rules under Malhotra's guidance.

- potentially the best 4th line in the league gets 10+ minutes, and provides legitimate depth to be moved up the lineup to replace injuries or struggling players. Each is highly versatile, but playing in their preferred position (I believe) on this line.

- trade Rodin for a mid round pick (unless obvious injuries or brilliant 2nd half of camp)

- Boucher risked in waiver wire (same caveat as above)

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Problem is?

What if every team through in the towell & tanked?

Once your team / our team is on the ropes. I have no problem selling at the deadline? But failing to put in an effort to try and be competitive goes against the essence of sport.

Is the ultimate goal to win a Cup?  

1 hour ago, Odjick_fan said:

Why dress a team if that's not your goal

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Yes. But intentionally losing should never be a goal.

How did the Leafs (Hated, and deservedly so) get Matthews?  How did the Sabres get Eichel?  How did the Penguins get Mario?  Sometimes teams tank.  Then there are the Oilers, who were just inept.  They still were just inept enough though (coupled with luck) to get Mcdavid.  Sure, winning is the end goal, but it's winning a Cup.  

5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Vanek

Granlund Sutter Gagner

Eriksson Burmistrov Virtanen 

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Weircioch Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

I agree with most of this.

1. Sedins should play a 2nd or even a 3rd line to give some insight on what it would like like to renew their contracts moving ahead.

2. Hard to see Erikson on the 4th line.  hopefully he can have a bounce back season.

3. IMO Biega has earned the 7th spot (so far).  I see it as his position to lose right now.

4. I don't see any tryout players earning a contract (again, at this point in preseason).

5.  I think Boesser and Virts, make the team based on what I've seen.  Utica could look really good this year, even without those two.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How did the Leafs (Hated, and deservedly so) get Matthews?  How did the Sabres get Eichel?  How did the Penguins get Mario?  Sometimes teams tank.  Then there are the Oilers, who were just inept.  They still were just inept enough though (coupled with luck) to get Mcdavid.  Sure, winning is the end goal, but it's winning a Cup.  

I don't a flying F Alf. Setting your team up to lose is just plain wrong. It's disrespects the game and your paying fans. Why do you think they started the lottery and then expanded it. To discourage teams setting their team up to fail. Because it's just plain wrong. And there's no guarantee of a cup anyway. By your standard 8 teams should be competing for the cup and 23 competing for the bottom of the league. Because if you're not a contender you should tank. Try and sell that league. Hell, try and find a TV audience for that crap. Then for the US teams tanking there's the added bonus of revenue sharing to top up their income because nobody wants to go their crappy games.

Frankly I don't care that much about the cup Alf. I don't fret about it at all. Nice if we won it, but it won't change my life in any way at all. I want to enjoy watching my team play and compete. If they win they win, if they don't at least I enjoyed the season watching the team I love play the game I love. What's the point of even watching if you set them up to fail? Bottom line - I don`t believe you have to tank to build a competitive team.

19 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I don't a flying F Alf. Setting your team up to lose is just plain wrong. It's disrespects the game and your paying fans. Why do you think they started the lottery and then expanded it. To discourage teams setting their team up to fail. Because it's just plain wrong. And there's no guarantee of a cup anyway. By your standard 8 teams should be competing for the cup and 23 competing for the bottom of the league. Because if you're not a contender you should tank. Try and sell that league. Hell, try and find a TV audience for that crap. Then for the US teams tanking there's the added bonus of revenue sharing to top up their income because nobody wants to go their crappy games.

Frankly I don't care that much about the cup Alf. I don't fret about it at all. Nice if we won it, but it won't change my life in any way at all. I want to enjoy watching my team play and compete. If they win they win, if they don't at least I enjoyed the season watching the team I love play the game I love. What's the point of even watching if you set them up to fail? Bottom line - I don`t believe you have to tank to build a competitive team.

That's my point.  Most teams Cup wining teams(even Betman himself said too) go through an extended down turn to rebuild.  History shows that teams, with at least one of their own top three picks playing a core role, win Cups.  Sure there are teams with top three picks who don't win Cups too.  But every Cup winner (except the loser Bruins) over the last decade has one or more of those top three picks in their core.  For us, our most prolonged period of success was with the twins at our core. They were picked top three.

Archived