The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I don't get this 5-year crap. He might gain 15 pounds in the next 2 months and blow the roof off at prospects camp. Can't stand how people on CDC think they are scouts and their opinion actually means something. He will be ready when he is ready hows that for A timeline.

True.  When I joined mens rugby leagues at 19, I was 150 lbs and 5'10".  I quickly realized that my size was an issue.  In the off season, 3 months work on a general weight program on a universal gym mostly, I put on 15 lbs without really knowing what I was doing.  3 days on weights, off days running, and 1 day off a week.  2 years later, having learned a lot, my normal playing weight was 180.  Now, goals are a little different in rugby which puts a much bigger premium on upper body strength but the point remains that a kid at the right age could put on 15 lbs relatively easily without sacrificing aerobics.

• Upvote 1

We haven't had a purely offensively skilled player like Pettersson in a long time. I wanted Nylander over Virtanen for exactly this sort of skill and it's good to see that JB is watching the trend of the NHL go from big tough goons (Boston days) to elite skill up front and youth. Have to give him credit of making this ballsy pick when Glass, Mittelstatd and Vilardi were on the table. Those 3 guys all have good hands and hockey IQ too and could have fit the bill perfectly, but lets just hope Pettersson has another level to his offensive game. Still unsure of the pick over Glass and Vilardi but time will tell. This will either be a pure stroke of genius or mistake, but either way it's JB's career on the line.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

True.  When I joined mens rugby leagues at 19, I was 150 lbs and 5'10".  I quickly realized that my size was an issue.  In the off season, 3 months work on a general weight program on a universal gym mostly, I put on 15 lbs without really knowing what I was doing.  3 days on weights, off days running, and 1 day off a week.  2 years later, having learned a lot, my normal playing weight was 180.  Now, goals are a little different in rugby which puts a much bigger premium on upper body strength but the point remains that a kid at the right age could put on 15 lbs relatively easily without sacrificing aerobics.

What position do you play?

I really hope JB isn't simply trying to replicate the Sedins with Dahlen and Pettersson, because it won't be very successful. It'll be great to have two elite offensive, skilled guys in our top-6, but one thing I've learned from the last 5 Cup champions is that you need your top line to play well defensively. Glass, Mittelstatd and Vilardi can all play well defensively. Pettersson is mentioned as being a good shot blocker and PKer, but with that frame I don't see it happening.

IMO our biggest downfall in 2011 was the Sedins' poor defensive play. Look at the last few Cup champs.

Crosby - great 200 foot player. Great offensively, but can back-check and win battles in the corners.

Toews - Selke winner and clutch scorer.

Kopitar - Selke guy, big strong center but can score as well.

Krejci - Very skilled offensively but also great defensively. Bergeron = Selke winner

Datsyuk - Going back to 2008, obviously the best two-way guy in the game

You can see the trend. You need your top guy to play well defensively, because at the end of the day the matchup game is ever so important in the playoffs. I would have loved Horvat and another two-way center who can be a playmaker and passer, but lets just hope Pettersson can play well defensively too. Henrik and Daniel got victmized time and time again by Marchand and a very good two-way line which is why they lost the Finals. Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really hope JB isn't simply trying to replicate the Sedins with Dahlen and Pettersson, because it won't be very successful. It'll be great to have two elite offensive, skilled guys in our top-6, but one thing I've learned from the last 5 Cup champions is that you need your top line to play well defensively. Glass, Mittelstatd and Vilardi can all play well defensively. Pettersson is mentioned as being a good shot blocker and PKer, but with that frame I don't see it happening.

IMO our biggest downfall in 2011 was the Sedins' poor defensive play. Look at the last few Cup champs.

Crosby - great 200 foot player. Great offensively, but can back-check and win battles in the corners.

Krejci - Very skilled offensively but also great defensively. Bergeron = Selke winner

You can see the trend. You need your top guy to play well defensively, because at the end of the day the matchup game is ever so important in the playoffs. I would have loved Horvat and another two-way center who can be a playmaker and passer, but lets just hope Pettersson can play well defensively too. Henrik and Daniel got victmized time and time again by Marchand and a very good two-way line which is why they lost the Finals. Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

2 rulebooks may have had something to do with it? Bad luck with Hammy, Kesler & Manny's health too.

It was a great team..no need to focus on any shortcomings.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Rex425 said:

I mean they had similar stats but Pettersson is younger so I'd say that Pettersson is the better prospect. I'd put him 3 or 4 right now (on the prospect pool), but he could be #1 after a few months. 

Yeah, the stats are way too close, I'm talking strictly about the eye test. 

Pettersson makes filthy moves to get around guys, but Dahlen's only focus is on net. He just seems hungrier to me.
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more excited I am to see them in action. Both below weight and not the most physical, but my god do they have puckskills. These guys were creating some real buzz in Sweden.

I think the two of them are going to be huge fan favourites here, together or a part.

Gadjovich - Pettersson - Boeser

Goldobin - Horvat - Dahlen

One guy with strength on each line, and sick skill surrounding.

Jake may factor in there at some point.

Eriksson may even be reinvigorated by the talent. He's our lone elder forward for this whole process, after all.

Gaudette looks like a dream 3C.

Lind, Lockwood, McEwen, Palmu.

Offensive ability is no longer lacking.

Let's move onto our next weakness... point production from the backend and overall team defense.

An aside for the Benning haters: I have supported the guy all along. He's a hockey player. When he played, he understood the game on a fundamental level.

He is not an eloquent speaker, but it's so painfully clear that he knows this game. 

He's not just interested in accumulating assets, he's trying to build a team that makes sense from top to bottom.
He does lack the business savvy of other GMS and gets bullied by them sometimes, and he does not have the acumen to pull off an elaborate move or do something controversial, but when it comes to the Canucks, he's been really consistent in his vision outside of Miller and Eriksson. Even those moves make sense to me though. Miller was a stopgap, and like I said above... Eriksson is here for a long time. Get used to him. He's a good mentor for our Swedes, an off year does not change his impressive career.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Same here. When I was 16 one of the trainers at A place called extra innings, told me I needed to gain core strength and develop certain arm muscles that help with velocity. In one off-season I wen't from my fastest pitch at 77 to 84 mph. Might not sound huge. But especially as A lefty it made the difference from having the chance to go to college or not.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, droid56 said:

We should be happy Pettersson is only 165 pounds.  Add even 15 pounds to his weight, and I doubt he would have been available at 5.  The good news is his weight is on an upwards trajectory since he says he's gained 10 or 12 pounds over the previous year.  When I read about him, it sounds like his skill level and hockey IQ is up there with Hischier and Patrick. I'm looking forward to following him over the next 2 years.  After that, I wouldn't be surprised  to see him playing for the Canucks.

He would have been more attractive for sure if he was 15 pounds heavier. Hopefully it's a blessing in disguise,but he seems pretty paper thin right now.

Man reading through this thread was painful. We had 5 pages of talking about Elias Pettersson, 25 pages of bickering over Virtanen/Nylander, Juolevi/Tkachuk and 3 pages of the usual suspects having a total meltdown over Benning murdering their families (well, not really, but with how they go on and on about how awful he is you'd think he'd murdered their families or something). Typical CDC.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pettersson was advertised as a 3 zone player. He backchecks and appears to show good defensive awareness. 

Jake has been torn down, let's see if Green can rebuild him. 

Horvat plays a responsible game, Granlund same.  Pettersson' size is a concern, his fitness, skill, two way play etc are not a concern. 

Other than being swedes and being good young players, Dahlin and Pettersson aren't similar to the twins IMO. The twins are unique and we are adding guys that play a much heavier game with other picks. Pettersson won't be the only guy on the ice. Unlike the twins, which have only played together (a huge mistake and makes it far to easy to defend,especially now.)  Pettersson could be between Boeser and Jake or Gadjovich etc...  

EmW

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Pettersson was advertised as a 3 zone player. He backchecks and appears to show good defensive awareness. 

Jake has been torn down, let's see if Green can rebuild him. 

Horvat plays a responsible game, Granlund same.  Pettersson' size is a concern, his fitness, skill, two way play etc are not a concern. 

Other than being swedes and being good young players, Dahlin and Pettersson aren't similar to the twins IMO. The twins are unique and we are adding guys that play a much heavier game with other picks. Pettersson won't be the only guy on the ice. Unlike the twins, which have only played together (a huge mistake and makes it far to easy to defend,especially now.)  Pettersson could be between Boeser and Jake or Gadjovich etc...  

EmW

I really hope you're right. I agree that when they're on the ice it's a 5 man game, but the clash of the centers is a massive matchup in a deep playoff round. Crosby and Malkin trashed the Nashville centers and ate away slowly at the Preds defence over time. We've seen Getzlaf, Kopitar and Toews absolutely dominate the West in the last decade. The Canucks need someone dominant down the middle who can score against other centers but also defend against them.

It seems that the next generation with be Glass vs Vilardi vs Pettersson/Horvat vs McDavid/Draisaitl vs Keller/Strome. We certainly don't have the best center depth in the Pacific or West but lets just hope it does well enough in the matchups. Hopefully Pettersson can hold his own physically and defensively because we know he'll be able to stick-handle and generate offence.

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really hope you're right. I agree that when they're on the ice it's a 5 man game, but the clash of the centers is a massive matchup in a deep playoff round. Crosby and Malkin trashed the Nashville centers and ate away slowly at the Preds defence over time. We've seen Getzlaf, Kopitar and Toews absolutely dominate the West in the last decade. The Canucks need someone dominant down the middle who can score against other centers but also defend against them.

It seems that the next generation with be Glass vs Vilardi vs Pettersson/Horvat vs McDavid/Draisaitl vs Keller/Strome. We certainly don't have the best center depth in the Pacific or West but lets just hope it does well enough in the matchups. Hopefully Pettersson can hold his own physically and defensively because we know he'll be able to stick-handle and generate offence.

True LD and McJesus are a heck of a combo. We won't have that, not ever. 

Mind you the oilers had had to suck for a long time to get that... How many top 10 picks and 1st OA's did they have to go thru to find these 2 guys. 

Horvat is really good comparison to both Vlardi and Glass.  He has the potential to be a next top two way center.  We lack a offensive center. We have a horrible PP and along with a center we need a puck mover. 

We have some meat meat on the wings and there are two way guys up and down the line up.  Skating is the new fad in the NHL.  Pettersson has great skating, needs a better first step, but other than Mittlestad (who has huge question marks about his game) Pettersson has the best skating of the four centres available in the 5 spot range.