The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I would rather be an optimist rather then just looking at things from a negative slant all the time. Being negative a lot is really bad for your health btw and no one wants to be around you. There are lots of legitimate reasons to be happy about where this team is heading, a couple more seasons of high draft picks will likely be coming and a bunch more great prospects, the future is bright................

1 minute ago, gerry35 said:

It is, patience is a good thing, a real fan can wait. Have fun being a downer all the time...........

I'm of the belief we need to stay at or close to the bottom, and draft top five, for however friggin long it takes to collect a group of similar ages players who are good, and there are a couple elite guys in there too.  It's like the top Cup teams have two elite guys close to the same age, who are supplemented by a few more really good players near that age too.  We had the Twins, and they were supported by a core group of guys a few years younger, but they mostly grew as a group together.  We need to get to that place again.  I think Pettersson is a special player.  He's one.  Now we need another one.  Hopefully we get him next draft.

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He didn't produce any points and was quickly taken off that line. 

While I'm aware you're a huge fan of Virtanen, I am aware of that. But for how much speed McDavid has, Virtanen was able to maintain the pace and even provide some great opportunities on that line. If Virtanen can play like Maroon on the Pettersson line, he could give that physical role that Pettersson needs. So example:

LW/Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen

LW/Baertchi - Horvat - Boeser

I'm happy we're taking long term projects/Boom and Bust type of players, a guy like Virtanen/Juolevi/Pettersson are going to take a while to provide a great Top 6 Top 4 as opposed to the middle ground. Tkachuk is going to be great for Calgary, they're playoff ready and I enjoy watching him. Nylander is the same and they fit the organizations perfectly.

It's a journey, enjoy the ride. They'll show their worth.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....so now were going to have 500 pages of this crap....

'He hasn't proven anything until he produces in the NHL' and other brilliant insights brought you by:

'The Realist Collective'

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

While that is only partially true I have to ask, I have seen roughly 500 of your posts now and not once seen anything remotely positive about the Canucks organization and certainly about any of its prospects.   I know I have probably missed those but I am also certain that you seem to have nothing but negative things to say at every possible opportunity.   Do you support this team?   Do you take pleasure in finding something wrong with everything they do?    Have you ever tried to look at the balance of what they are trying to do with what the other 30 teams are doing and take some perspective from that?   Do you ever consider that these young men who are working their behinds off for their careers and your entertainment could actually use your support?

There are about ten of you (posters) that just seem to be constantly and exceedingly negative.   I am just curious why.

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If you ask them, they'll probably just say that, unlike the rest of us, they're "realists" and don't look through "rose tinted glasses" like the rest of us do.

I'd rather look through rose colored glasses than $&!# colored glasses.

4 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

The first clue that someone is incredibly biased.... they claim to be unbiased. 

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I love watching the game and I am enjoying the growth of our young players.  It's not optimism, it's just foolishness, wishful thinking, bias, ridiculous expectations and homerism that bugs me. 

I know none of those things can be avoided here which is why I hardly post anymore so just be happy with that.  

There are plenty of things I am positive about when it comes to this team, although most of it is negative and rightfully so.    I'm passionate 

I feel the need (or at least the desire) to weigh in on this discussion.

1. I would be wary about claiming there is a category of negative posters. It is like referring to critics as "haters". It is a way of dismissing a point of view without actually considering the merits and flaws of the argument.  I think it is important to keep in mind that almost all the people taking the trouble to post at this stage in the season, after a couple of very poor seasons, is a serious poster who cares about the team.

2. CDC, like fan discussion forums for almost all teams in almost all sports, has a strong positive or optimistic bias. That is part of what being a fan is. But if we go back and read old CDC posts from previous drafts, for example, and compare that with what actually happened, the positive bias is hard to dispute.  I think @48MPHSlapShot has the key point. It is generally more fun to be an optimist..

3. Most people think they are unbiased, not just people with strong biases. Personally, I do not trust my own "gut reaction" opinions, or anyone else's. I like analysis and evidence and logical reasoning, not just statements of opinion. That is one reason I have often been negative about Benning. Relative to other GMs he seems to place more reaction on his "gut reaction" than on evidence and logic and many statements he has made about players (such as Sutter, Sbisa, Gudbranson, etc.) do not stand up to analysis. 

4. I am definitely more negative than the average poster still left on CDC. But I appreciate the range of opinion. I am not as negative as @The 5th Line, and often disagree with his assessments, but I appreciate his willingness to put negative opinions out there despite the inevitable criticism. I also appreciate the many comments that I think are much too positive to be reasonable, including the insistent belief that Virtanen will soon "get it" and become a valuable NHL player. He might, but guys who do what he did in his draft+3 year usually don't.  But I admit that I have sometimes learned things from posts that, at first glance, I think are too positive. And I hope I am wrong about Virtanen.

5. I am  more optimistic now that I have been at any time in the Benning regime as the Canucks finally seem to have gotten serious about rebuilding.This year they moved in the right direction. Adding Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersen (although I preferred Glass), Lind, Gadjovich, and DiPietro looks to me like the first year in which Benning has actually begun to close the gap on other rebuilding (or recently rebuilt) teams like Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto. In previous years, although the Canucks added some prospects (as every team in the league did by virtue of the draft)  I think the Canucks were losing ground. And there is certainly no way that signing players like Miller, Vrbata, Eriksson or trading for a guy like Sutter was going to help the long-run rebuild, even if they played well, as Miller has.

6. Bottom line: I think there is finally some reason for optimism, but this summer is important. If Benning brings in some additional young talent in the UFA period (like Weal) that would be great. If he signs older expensive players (like Alzner) that just do not fit with a rebuild, I will be very disappointed and very critical again.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

This is awesome! I'm so insanely pumped that we have both of these prospects! I really like that they're both confident yet rational as well. They know it will take a bit of time, but I honestly believe that the talent level that these two posses will enable both to crack the lineup a little earlier than some expect. 

In a couple years they will be linemates again and will blow people's socks off! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm of the belief we need to stay at or close to the bottom, and draft top five, for however friggin long it takes to collect a group of similar ages players who are good, and there are a couple elite guys in there too.  It's like the top Cup teams have two elite guys close to the same age, who are supplemented by a few more really good players near that age too.  We had the Twins, and they were supported by a core group of guys a few years younger, but they mostly grew as a group together.  We need to get to that place again.  I think Pettersson is a special player.  He's one.  Now we need another one.  Hopefully we get him next draft.

2015.16 Olli Juolevi 

2016.17 Elias Pettersson

2017.18 Rasmus Dahlin

The Canucks' "Big Three" with Pettersson leading the charge up front. Having Juolevi and Dahlin on separate pairings giving us 40+ minutes of elite defensive talent out on the ice per game. Major contributions from Horvat, Boeser, and Demko.

Dahlin might not be the undisputed 1st overall pick in next year's draft, but with his skillset it looks like he may end up being the best player of that draft even if he isn't picked in the top 3 (kinda like how some people think that of Pettersson this year).

While I still think Vancouver should have picked Cody Glass over Elias Pettersson the recent interviews in TSN 1040 with the Hockey Analysts has, at least, been assuring after the Pettersson pick.    

Edited by iinatcc

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree, stockpiling prospects and high draft picks is what this team needs to do.  This team is at least 3-4 years away from being in contention and with Benning making the picks, let them marinate for a bit before they make the show, activate them in call-ups to see how fast the game is and go from there.  How long has it actually been since we had a really good prospect cupboard, (a long time if ever)?

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I agree, stockpiling prospects and high draft picks is what this team needs to do.  This team is at least 3-4 years away from being in contention and with Benning making the picks, let them marinate for a bit before they make the show, activate them in call-ups to see how fast the game is and go from there.  How long has it actually been since we had a really good prospect cupboard, (a long time if ever)?

I remember the Edler, Hansen, Burrows, and Kesler group that followed the twins.  I think this group could be even better.  For certain we have more of them.

• Upvote 1