The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

obviously Jake has more long run potential, but if we are talking about on ice product right now then its easy Granlund for me.  I think the Higgins comparison is very on point as well.

On ice production goes to Jake as well at this point. Lol. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

1) How many one-times have you seen like that?

2) He plays on the opposite side of Boeser.  Can you imagine a 1-2 like that?

3) At the 3/4 mark of the season he only had 12 even strength goals against all year.  

4) Most of his goals are all top corner.   His wrist shot and one-timer are both incredibly accurate.

This kid is going to be a star.... and we are going to see it from game 1 next year.  I would bet the farm on it.

If he and Brock are on the same line or at least on the same pp they are going to give the opposition headaches. I'm not worried about his weight too much, he is so smart and shifty and a very good two-way player. In his highlight pack, I noticed when he did get hit he was always able to get the puck off his stick and to a teammate even when he's almost flat on the ice. I hope JB surrounds our young kids with some highlight type of signings this summer.

Eliash Pettershon...so schleek!

I can't tell if sleek is a Swedish word or the announcer is trying to say slick or sick, either way I hope they call up the announcer for a few games(maybe all the CBC games)

Obviously Dahlin is going to be a great player and all but this year he is not the best U20 player in the SHL. People are getting stiff pants just because he is going to be #1 draft this summer. 

4 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Rasmus Dahlin named U20 of the year in Sweden, "Easy decision" according to The jury, dont know which sand they buried their heads in.. 

Screenshot_20180404-121905.png

This is an odd choice.  Petersson broke the all time record, lead his team, lead the league and his team came 1st.  

Dahlin was 18th in the league for defense and 3rd on his team and his team came 3rd.  Anyway, they were both amazing and defense are not judged as much by points.  

Hard to give it to Dahlin but maybe it was because they will give EP the MVP and wanted to give Dahlin some love.

Edited by Dixon Ward
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Rasmus Dahlin named U20 of the year in Sweden, "Easy decision" according to The jury, dont know which sand they buried their heads in.. 

Screenshot_20180404-121905.png

Hello? Does this committee even watch SHL games.... how do you break the U20 Record and not win U20 player of the year. Did Dahlin even have the best U20 season for a Defencemen?

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

This is an odd choice.  Petersson broke the all time record, lead his team, lead the league and his team came 1st.  

Dahlin was 18th in the league for defense and 3rd on his team and his team came 3rd.  Anyway, they were both amazing and defense are not judged as much by points.  

Hard to give it to Dahlin but maybe it was because they will give EP the MVP and wanted to give Dahlin some love.

For me its strange... If Pettersson gets mvp, how can he not be u20 of the year? 

And Dahlin isnt even nominated to The Defenseman of the year award where Pettersson is nominated to Forward of the year

Edited by ForzaTikare

23 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

For me its strange... If Pettersson gets mvp, how can he not be u20 of the year? 

And Dahlin isnt even nominated to The Defenseman of the year award where Pettersson is nominated to Forward of the year

marketing I suppose. They probably figure giving it to a more well known name will help raise the SHL profile more? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Hello? Does this committee even watch SHL games.... how do you break the U20 Record and not win U20 player of the year. Did Dahlin even have the best U20 season for a Defencemen?

He had the best season in SHL history for a U20 defenseman. 

The only thing I take issue with is that they said it was an "easy" decision. Pettersson does deserve the award as well, but I don't think it should be a surprise or really disputed heavily that Dahlin deserves the award as well. He's playing the tougher position as a younger player. He also played in the SHL last year, his draft -1 year, while Pettersson didn't play in the SHL until his draft +1 year. That's entering the SHL as a 16/17 year old instead of an 18 year old. I'd say it's very understandable and reasonable to have Dahlin win the award. 

If Pettersson wasn't a close second at least, then we'd have a problem. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

marketing I suppose. They probably figure giving it to a more well known name will help raise the SHL profile more? 

Ian Macintire was talking on 650 yesterday about his going to Sweden for the Canuck's first camp with the Twins way back in 2000/2001.  He said he wrote an article about the the Twins maybe not skating well enough for the NHL.  The Swedish press was all over him for that statement.  This stuff about Dahlin v Pettersson is a Swedish thing.  Like you say it's about the profile of their league and the coming NHL draft.  If we don't get Dahlin I personally hope the guy busts.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ian Macintire was talking on 650 yesterday about his going to Sweden for the Canuck's first camp with the Twins way back in 2000/2001.  He said he wrote an article about the the Twins maybe not skating well enough for the NHL.  The Swedish press was all over him for that statement.  This stuff about Dahlin v Pettersson is a Swedish thing.  Like you say it's about the profile of their league and the coming NHL draft.  If we don't get Dahlin I personally hope the guy busts.

Yah it could be a cultural thing too. Does EP celebrate too much when he scores? Maybe thats it. Who cares. EP will get the max bonuses anyway for his ELC so it really makes no difference to us. 

I'm excited that Benning wants to give him a chance to make the team next season according to his interview last night on 650 https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-gm-talks-elias-pettersson-hell-use-14-million-cap-space/ 

Benning was asked his thoughts on if Pettersson was ready to crack this lineup next season, if he decides to sign a contract and come to North America.

“I think he can. He’s super skilled,” Benning noted. “He’s great with the puck. Great release on his shot. He’s a smart player, reads the play, anticipates well. He’s slight right now, but he’s got good balance on his skates so I think he can come in and be a skilled player for us.”

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yah it could be a cultural thing too. Does EP celebrate too much when he scores? Maybe thats it. Who cares. EP will get the max bonuses anyway for his ELC so it really makes no difference to us. 

I'm excited that Benning wants to give him a chance to make the team next season according to his interview last night on 650 https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-gm-talks-elias-pettersson-hell-use-14-million-cap-space/ 

Benning was asked his thoughts on if Pettersson was ready to crack this lineup next season, if he decides to sign a contract and come to North America.

“I think he can. He’s super skilled,” Benning noted. “He’s great with the puck. Great release on his shot. He’s a smart player, reads the play, anticipates well. He’s slight right now, but he’s got good balance on his skates so I think he can come in and be a skilled player for us.”

Interesting.  When drafted, I'm pretty sure he indicated it would take some time.  In particular due to his slight weight. Guess when you have that kind of talent and a team that may be starved of scoring, its hard not to consider.