The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've never seen so much attention given to a player's weight before. It's weird.

To be fair it was probably the 1 thing that made him a question mark. You could argue he goes top 2 if he isnt so light in his draft year. Hilarious how its looking like it'll be a non-issue though. If he reaches 190-200lbs at his peak he's probably an all-time player.

18 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree the #14 jersey should not be retired..There should only be Bure #10, Linden #16, Smyl #12 and wayne Maki #11 that was worn by Messier for short time...Naslund #19..

Let the next super star wear #14 jersey..Better decide soon as fans will want to start buying this Pettersson jersey.. Looks Good!!!!!

Pettersson

I want Pettersson to wear #40 instead of #14. Traditionally, #14 are often wear by wingers. I see EP as a center in his prime and i think EP40 looks good on him.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

To be fair it was probably the 1 thing that made him a question mark. You could argue he goes top 2 if he isnt so light in his draft year. Hilarious how its looking like it'll be a non-issue though. If he reaches 190-200lbs at his peak he's probably an all-time player.

Yeah, a scout was quoted at the time of the draft and said if Pettersson had been 20 lbs heavier, he'd have gone 1st overall. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've never seen so much attention given to a player's weight before. It's weird.

Really the only time it was this big a talking point that I can remember. I guess it's cause he was drafted so thin, but even then it's not unusual for some players to be drafted that light. Guess when you have nothing else to really critique you gotta latch onto something. Even though it's been stated a few times now that he was roughly 177 in May. Even if he stayed that weight his entire career it'd only be like 8 pounds lighter than the Sedins usual playing weight.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is, But also when you think that only a handful played in the NHL last year at his weight, and that he is over 6' is of some concern and for him getting crushed by big men at high speed

We dont need him getting a concussion early in his career

I think people say it more out of concern for his health and not getting  hurt

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You think that's ridiculous? Go to HFBoards and you will find people who are legitimately upset that Pettersson chose to wear #40. It's hilariously embarrassing.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I blame the media (of course). They would love to turn his weight into some sort of story, to make Canucks fans squirm with concern that our elite young superstar might struggle because of it. The media would love that and I hate them for it. He's just a kid, who happens to be awesome at the hockey. We should be celebrating his arrival, some blue skies ahead, lots to get excited about. His weight is not an issue. If he was slow like Lucic, then I could see a story.    

Good point. I think he'll be just fine. 

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

I agree. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Really the only time it was this big a talking point that I can remember. I guess it's cause he was drafted so thin, but even then it's not unusual for some players to be drafted that light. Guess when you have nothing else to really critique you gotta latch onto something. Even though it's been stated a few times now that he was roughly 177 in May. Even if he stayed that weight his entire career it'd only be like 8 pounds lighter than the Sedins usual playing weight.

Good point. 

33 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

It is, But also when you think that only a handful played in the NHL last year at his weight, and that he is over 6' is of some concern and for him getting crushed by big men at high speed

We dont need him getting a concussion early in his career

I think people say it more out of concern for his health and not getting  hurt

I hope Petterson is given Roussel or Beagle as a linemate and that Gudbranson is on defense during his shifts. That might curb the funny stuff.

9 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

One said it looked ugly. Another one said they didn't like high jersey numbers (yeah, 40 is apparently too high). Totally asinine.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

I mean, I’d rather Pettersson keep the number that was on his back when he was ripping the SHL a new one but that’s just me.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think its funny how many think EP is too light and thin to play safely in the league. But sooooo many ppl were up in arms that Jordan Subban was never given a chance. He was super small for his position and bad defensively, but give him a chance. EP has all the skill and smarts in the world, but he better eat lots of steak and potatos!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1