The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

I'd be alright with a mini Datsyuk on the team for the next 20 years

16 hours ago, cory40 said:

Anyone remember when I came back from Penticton and stated he would have 7 points in his first 10 games? Yeh I took a lot of criticism for that! Well he has 10 points in his first 7 games. And I expect him to get better as the season progresses something I have stated before the season began. And Elias has usually gotten better at the 7 to 9 game mark. The goals may calm down a little like .750 from 1.00 but the apples will increase. His start is exactly what I expected! Now for the remainder of the season he will at least average a point per game. But I expect us (fans of CDC) to start seeing multiple point games from him a little more. He is on a 1.43 ppg clip at a new position in a new size NORTH  AMERICAN ice. And getting points 5 on 5, something most felt he couldn't do because of his size. He is still learning the trade. What I am noticing is his game is built for our ice. He is quick and as soon as he draws people in he makes a great pass. Imagine if he cheated more offensively? Or what if the coaches put him on the point on the power play? You could guarantee brock would get some nice set-ups! BTW he has played power play QB very effectively in Sweden. 

And I will say it again Elias reminds me of Mario. He can go out their and get points on a off night. And when he shows up look out. We are going to see a 3 or 4 point night from him very soon. What impresses me is this: He is consistent. very seldom misses on the score sheet, and that's not new. He has been doing it for 3 or 4 years now at levels where his size was in doubt.

He made a play that impressed me more than his block and break-away last night. He went at Suter and blocked a clearing attempt and drew a elbow in the head. Guys, and Gals Suter is not a 4th 5th or 6th defenseman. He is like a number 1 or number 2 on any team in the NHL. That's how you read talent! He does it against the very best of defensemen! Suter went to the penalty box wondering how Elias got on him so fast and blocked the dump out! When you watch Elias, he is skating casually ,going to the right spot, and with a quick stride he is as fast as he needs to be. He has just missed almost every game at a read that would have put him all alone. Scary when you think he is still figuring things out!

When do you fans think we will quit being told do dampen our expectations?

How many feel Elias can get 40 plus goals?

Does anyone here feel Elias will go 20 games with-out a point? I think he has 2 games with-out a point already! For every game he is held off the scoresheet does he rebound with two points? Something he has done twice now (I think)! Hhe is already starting to drive play offensively!

If you think I need to temper my expectations don't be afraid to give me a frown in the like column.  BTW I am enjoying this forum and the many views from fello CDC'ers!

On 7/22/2017 at 10:43 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Petterson as the potential to be the best player from this draft. He's not far behind Nico & Nolan & may well be the most skilled out of them all.

Reminds me of a Pavel Datsyuk type player. Not the thickest but the slickest moves with a sick set of mitts, high hockey IQ, great skating & plays defensive first type player.

I'm liking this pick a lot.

Page #49 for the record.

B):rolleyes:B)

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Page #49 for the record.

B):rolleyes:B)

I believe I'm in there, promoting him heavily, too.  Going to go back and look.  I remember because my son and I had talked about him and he'd linked me to some of his highlights...that got me stoked.  Then I saw him at the prospects game and that escalated.

With that, my reference to Bure was in relation to the excitement factor and having a player that has us jump up out of our seats.  The brilliance.

Not in style of play, although, I've been pleasantly surprised by EP's tenacity and his ability to stand in there when challenged.  For a slight player, I thought he'd use being elusive more so than physical play, but he does both.  Deadly combination, as he really doesn't shy away (at all).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jig Jones said:

A bit late to the party, but since we're comparing Bure to Pettersson, I thought I'd chip in my 2c.

I was also at Bure's first game against Winnipeg. I was in high school, and recall listening to the radio at noon to find out if he would be playing that night, since it wasn't decided yet whether he'd play. I took a bus to the Coliseum after school, and scored an end-zone upper deck seat for $18. I had been following the Bure saga since the '89 draft, (there was a LOT of drama surrounding whether he'd ever play here) so I was jacked for this game. 

At the time, the Canucks actually had a pretty good team. The Dan Quinn & Garth Butcher for Courtnall, Ronning, Momesso and Dirk trade was a turning point of the franchise. We were first in the Smythe Division the previous year, which was the best regular season in franchise history I believe. So we were starting to get good crowds at the games.

What stood out at Pavel's first game was that everyone in the building got out of their seats when Pavel went on one of his rushes around or through their defense. Before, people would only get up when we scored a goal or there was a fight. Even though he didn't score on any of his 3 chances, the yells of 'OHHHHHHHHH' from the crowd when he didn't score, were LOUDER than the cheers at Rogers arena when we DO score today. He had a breakaway in overtime to win the game, but he was stopped. The roar was absolutely deafening. I had been to a few games previously, but this was a type of excitement we hadn't been treated to before. Everyone was buzzing with extra energy, as we all knew right then we FINALLY had a game breaking superstar player. 

This was over a decade before smartphones; everyone at the Coliseum was dialed in, focused on the game. In those days, when the Canucks scored, every single person got out of their seat to cheer. This is what I miss the most when I go to games now. These days, I see 80% of the crowd REMAIN SEATED when the Canucks score, and it seems like only half of the crowd is actually yelling. I can see people looking at their phones right after a goal, almost disinterested. But I digress. 

I think Pettersson is on the same level as Bure in terms of excitement. Pavel took 3 games to score his first point, and he had a relatively slow start that season. Pettersson has been lights out from the start, which is quite amazing. He has the same ability to bring people out of their seat (even though people don't do that anymore). Elias has this killer instinct that we have lacked in a player since Bure. His first goal against Calgary, considering the circumstances, was scored with such authority and certainty, in a situation where we have seen so many other players wilt under the pressure. I felt the same with his breakaway goal against Dubnyk. It was Lemieux-esque in how he just stared him down. No nerves or fear. Just pure confidence and lethal precision. 

The crowd can intuitively sense this in him. When Pavel would get a breakaway, we practically knew he would score. Pettersson is the same, you just know something good is going to happen, he has the explosiveness, vision, and shot to make it so. He's our most exciting player since Bure. It's self evident.

I was at that Winnipeg game too!  The thing that I most remember about Bure was his speed.  I remember this one powerplay and the Jets got the box set up.  Bure came in all the way from his zone and just danced past the Jets D like they pylons.  I could literally see the Jets D thinking collectively, what the hell was that?  I had never seen anyone with such speed and I was in total awe.

I feel that Petterson is creating the same level of excitement as Bure.  For sure, Petterson doesn't have Bure's speed but he has the hands and the smarts to be just as exciting.  Now JB just need to surround Petterson with enough supporting cast and the Canucks should be challenging for the cup sooner than we think.

• Cheers 1

Speaking of comparisons... how about a hybrid of these 3 players to idolize.. while wanting to be your own player (better). the kid is pure class we are blessed to have him and I am so glad he remembers the standing ovation after his first goal because I was there and it was epic.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I believe I'm in there, promoting him heavily, too.  Going to go back and look.  I remember because my son and I had talked about him and he'd linked me to some of his highlights...that got me stoked.  Then I saw him at the prospects game and that escalated.

With that, my reference to Bure was in relation to the excitement factor and having a player that has us jump up out of our seats.  The brilliance.

Not in style of play, although, I've been pleasantly surprised by EP's tenacity and his ability to stand in there when challenged.  For a slight player, I thought he'd use being elusive more so than physical play, but he does both.  Deadly combination, as he really doesn't shy away (at all).

Well then you deserve some love. There you go. :P

On 7/10/2017 at 10:04 AM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

On 7/23/2017 at 8:04 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, like most people, I wasn't thrilled with the pick when it happened, but as time has gone on, and you can call this after-the-fact bias if you want, it really does seem like this was the correct fit. The kid might be the most skilled player in this draft, and the most skilled prospect we've had since drafting the twins. There would have been nothing wrong with picking a more "meat-and-potatoes" type player like Glass or Vilardi, but considering that we already have Horvat to fill that role, it might have been a tad redundant to go for the same type of player. Having Pettersson in the fold gives us a different type of center, make for a more dynamic and all around more balanced team going forward.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:13 AM, stawns said:

The good thing is that Pettersson also plays a gritty, puck hound game.  Weight is going to be the determining factor in whether that part of his game Will translate to the NHL

On 7/24/2017 at 11:43 AM, Alflives said:

How long did it take the Twins to get (actually) strong enough to not get too easily knocked off the puck?  I remember their early years here, and (although they showed greatness at times) they were pretty weak.  I think Pettersson looks amazing!  In two or three years he will likely fill out his 6'2" frame, and push 190lbs.  I think JB landed a special player in Pettersson, but - much like the Twins - it will take a few years before he's strong enough to consistently put up big numbers.  I'd rather wait for a potential 100 point guy to develop, than get a 50 point guy right away - but that guy doesn't get much better. 

On 7/24/2017 at 11:44 AM, cyoung said:

Ya we definitely have to be patient for this one. He will turn alot of heads for sure. 

On 7/24/2017 at 11:48 AM, Alflives said:

Agreed.  I don't think I've been this high on a JB pick.  I really think he's a first line scoring centre of our future.  

You guys called it. This kid is the start of a new beginning boys!!!

Now we can all agree on that & enjoy our franchise player we desperately needed & have found.  :canucks:

Love reading old posts.

"Learning from the past has only made one move forward".

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Last Saturday I was out to watch the game with friends. My comparison was he's the first individual player since Bure that when he gets on the ice I sit forward waiting for something to happen. There's been lines since Bure that I did that with (WCE, Sedins/Burrows) but no other individual player. Benning hit it out of the park with this kid.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:27 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Overall he had it all including toughness.  Just ask Shane Churla how tough Bure was.

'Tough' would have been facing Churla and dropping the gloves. Throwing a blindside elbow is just cowardly vengeance. Do to think Keith was tough with his elbow to Daniel or was it just a cheap shot? That's the comparable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

'Tough' would have been facing Churla and dropping the gloves. Throwing a blindside elbow is just cowardly vengeance. Do to think Keith was tough with his elbow to Daniel or was it just a cheap shot? That's the comparable.

That's the comparable is it? So Daniel had been dumping an endless amount of cheap shots on Keith, breaking the rules with impunity, with the apparent permission of the refs and the league, until Keith had had enough and finally took matters into his own hands? Because that is what would make the situations comparable.

IMO, taking abuse from another team and then, instead of relying on someone else to take care of you, dealing with the matter yourself, is indeed tough. Also, just IMO, risking his hands fighting Churla as you suggest would have been very stupid, considering the massive difference in the value of Bure' hands compared to Churla's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

That's the comparable is it? So Daniel had been dumping an endless amount of cheap shots on Keith, breaking the rules with impunity, with the apparent permission of the refs and the league, until Keith had had enough and finally took matters into his own hands? Because that is what would make the situations comparable.

IMO, taking abuse from another team and then, instead of relying on someone else to take care of you, dealing with the matter yourself, is indeed tough. Also, just IMO, risking his hands fighting Churla as you suggest would have been very stupid, considering the massive difference in the value of Bure' hands compared to Churla's.

Of course it would be stupid of him to fight. But there's nothing 'tough' about a blindside elbow. It's just chicken.....

Keith felt Daniel caught him with a cheap shot. Was he 'tough' for his elbow? It really is the same thing.