The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I actually like the idea of trying Pettersson with Gaudette as his centre and then adding a speedy, playdriving winger on the other side. For me, that could be a really interesting mix.

Kane, Gaudette, Pettersson....

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Kane, Gaudette, Pettersson....

That could definitely work. Pretty complimentary group and Kane would provide some veteran presence and protection for the youngsters (although Gaudette can handle his business just fine).

With the current options, I’d like to see them maybe try Dahlén or Virtanen (inverted on LW) with Gaudette-Pettersson. Maybe just for preseason though as I don’t see this organization running with a “kid line,” much as I’d love to see one.

EDIT: Eriksson might also find a good home on that line. He could head for the net and pick up the trash while Gaudette goes left side shooter and Pettersson works the right. And Eriksson would provide good defensive coverage and a veteran presence.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That could definitely work. Pretty complimentary group and Kane would provide some veteran presence and protection for the youngsters (although Gaudette can handle his business just fine).

With the current options, I’d like to see them maybe try Dahlén or Virtanen (inverted on LW) with Gaudette-Pettersson. Maybe just for preseason though as I don’t see this organization running with a “kid line,” much as I’d love to see one.

As a '4th' line...maybe. Would definitely be interesting.

27 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Kane is not coming to the Canucks period . You don't want him in your room Bo needs to be the leader coming up . No to Kane

I like Bo but he is incredibly soft. We have been lead by a soft ( no pushback physically ) captain for the last X years and I would rather have Gudbranson captain at least he sticks up for a teammate. We need to change the culture in the room and with Horvat who is soft and doesn't stick up for teammates I don't think it is a good idea. & No I don't dislike Horvat he is a great player and a good leader just not the right leader to take over right after Henrik retires. Just my opinion. He would better be suited for Captain at 26-27

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

I like Bo but he is incredibly soft. We have been lead by a soft ( no pushback physically ) captain for the last X years and I would rather have Gudbranson captain at least he sticks up for a teammate. We need to change the culture in the room and with Horvat who is soft and doesn't stick up for teammates I don't think it is a good idea. & No I don't dislike Horvat he is a great player and a good leader just not the right leader to take over right after Henrik retires. Just my opinion. He would better be suited for Captain at 26-27

I agree to a point BO is soft because our leadership is soft period, learn by example we get some snarl backing him and you will see the change . The mentality of the room has to change and that starts with the Sedins gone. They may be good upstanding citizens but when in the trenches you need to bring something special. Bo has that in him.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I know this is the Pettersson thread but I have to say, this is one of the most inaccurate player assessments I've read in a long time. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

wut

48 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

40 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Bo is soft? We watching the same player?

38 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

I know this is the Pettersson thread but I have to say, this is one of the most inaccurate player assessments I've read in a long time. 

This is a bit of a tangent -- from Pettersson to Kane to Horvat. Pulling things together,

i) Horvat is not soft. As the team's 1C this year, obviously he should not be getting into fights, taking unnecessary penalties, or even making a lot of hits. As the best two-way player on the team, he needs to save his energy to focus on high quality offense and high quality defense. But he is not a guy who can be pushed around. He is probably the best guy on the team in puck battles and he is tough in front of the net. Playing a leading role on the worst team in the league over the past three seasons has been tough on him but he has held up well. If "developing in a winning environment" means anything, Horvat has had to overcome a lot.

ii) The Canucks need more team toughness. It won't come from Pettersson, who will add to the high end skill level of the team (obviously). But with guys like Pettersson and Boeser on the team, it is even more important to have enough team toughness to deter opponents from taking liberties with them.

iii) A guy like Kane does not help. Yes, he plays with an edge, but he is also an a**hole who is not liked by his teammates. That is not the kind of guy you want to build around. And he is a selfish player -- not the kind of guy who will act as a enforcer. I am afraid Benning might go after Kane -- which would be another huge mistake (worse than Eriksson) in my view as he will use up cap room that the Canucks will need down the road for what we hope will be some emerging stars -- Pettersson, Boeser, whoever the Canucks draft this year, maybe Gaudette, 

iv) If the Canucks do anything in free agency it should be to pick up one or two bottom six guys who can play and to who add to team toughness -- like Dorsett. I am not sure Archie is good enough to play that role on a decent team.

v) I don't see room on the team for the Sedins. Their scoring numbers this year are pretty good, but their plus/minus numbers tell the story, and that is despite playing protected minutes. And obviously they are very slow and very soft. If they play next year I think that will hurt the team. Time for Horvat to get the "C".

58 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Don't want to derail the thread but Bo isn't soft.  When have you seen the Sedins/Naslund do this?

To post something on topic. I think Petterson breaks the "slump" soon, if not tonight.  Will be good to see if he can keep up his scoring pace as the games get tougher

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

...alright...you go into the corner with Bo...and we will see who comes out with the puck...and who gets dropped on his arse...

EP is not soft either...if he gains 10 -15 Lbs I bet he will be throwing hit's with the best of the skilled guys in this league...!

I think we need to accept Bo just isn't a true #1 Center.  With that said I am opposed to giving him the C.  Let's see how Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi, and our top prospect does this year.  

Bo has failed to stand up night after night and talk to the media. He is a leader but not the leader and likely won't be when the twins go.

Bo could easily be one of those C's who flame out before they hit 30. I have high hopes for him but seeing the talent coming and seeing how Bo struggles he's not a legit #1.  Legit #1s can find ways to score with no name players.  Bo started his first season with Janick Hansen and Derick Dorsett.

Jannik went on to score a pile of goals after getting United with the twins and Dorsett had a very productive final season.  Once we have the depth I would honestly look at moving Horvat if we were missing that one piece and we had the C depth from Gaudette for that #2 spot.  

That will not be a liked opinion but it's been in my mind for a while. Bo is a great #2 c for faceoffs and he can produce with good players. But he isn't a true #1 who can carry a line. He lacks the skill to become that. 

There is nothing wrong with who he is though. He is a offensive minded 2 way power forward C who is good at winning draws. He is an upgrade in offense in comparison to Kesler but his defensive game still needs some tuning. I'm sorry but Bo hasn't earned it. He hasn't stepped up and lead this team.  Boeser has done more as a leader this season.  

I'm going to get flamed for post above. But imo he hasn't earned the C and I don't believe he ever will. He is no Trevor Linden. He is a different player. 

He is a leader. He will not be the leader.

IMHO

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I think we need to accept Bo just isn't a true #1 Center.  With that said I am opposed to giving him the C.  Let's see how Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi, and our top prospect does this year.  

Bo has failed to stand up night after night and talk to the media. He is a leader but not the leader and likely won't be when the twins go.

Bo could easily be one of those C's who flame out before they hit 30. I have high hopes for him but seeing the talent coming and seeing how Bo struggles he's not a legit #1.  Legit #1s can find ways to score with no name players.  Bo started his first season with Janick Hansen and Derick Dorsett.

Jannik went on to score a pile of goals after getting United with the twins and Dorsett had a very productive final season.  Once we have the depth I would honestly look at moving Horvat if we were missing that one piece and we had the C depth from Gaudette for that #2 spot.  

That will not be a liked opinion but it's been in my mind for a while. Bo is a great #2 c for faceoffs and he can produce with good players. But he isn't a true #1 who can carry a line. He lacks the skill to become that. 

There is nothing wrong with who he is though. He is a offensive minded 2 way power forward C who is good at winning draws. He is an upgrade in offense in comparison to Kesler but his defensive game still needs some tuning. I'm sorry but Bo hasn't earned it. He hasn't stepped up and lead this team.  Boeser has done more as a leader this season.  

Bo is still 22 years old...he may not be our #1 center ....if EP turns out into a center...but he is/will be our MVP most season's because he can do it all and is getting better every year.

Basically he just doesn't have anyone to play with or anything to play for right now...

...just watch out when he does...