The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Opinions from you two are impactful to me here. I've been mulling over whether or not Pettersson could end up as good or even better than Bure, but I've been hesitant to voice those thoughts since people (especially those who grew up watching Bure) don't react well to anyone being put above Bure (as I learned the hard way at the end of last season when I compared Bure and Boeser's rookie seasons). You two however watched Bure as a Canuck, so it's intriguing to hear that even you see the potential for Pettersson to get to and possibly even surpass Bure's level. I wonder how prevalent this sentiment is around early 90s Canuck fans?

Bure was selfish! Elias has all the tools to be a player compared to none! 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Opinions from you two are impactful to me here. I've been mulling over whether or not Pettersson could end up as good or even better than Bure, but I've been hesitant to voice those thoughts since people (especially those who grew up watching Bure) don't react well to anyone being put above Bure (as I learned the hard way at the end of last season when I compared Bure and Boeser's rookie seasons). You two however watched Bure as a Canuck, so it's intriguing to hear that even you see the potential for Pettersson to get to and possibly even surpass Bure's level. I wonder how prevalent this sentiment is around early 90s Canuck fans?

Never thought I would live long enough to see a Vancouver player I could even mention in the same breath as Bure. Pavel was an unbelievably exciting player to watch and you literally thought he could score a highlight reel goal every time he stepped on the ice. Bure and Pettersson are completely different types of players so comparing them is extremely difficult BUT at least Pettersson deserves to be compared to Bure. I would suggest that Elias already understands the game better than Pavel ever did, Pavel was much quicker and they both have/had incredible skill levels. Pavel was more of a me first kind of player while I think it is pretty evident that EP40 is more of a team first player with a somewhat higher desire to win.

Bure right now is hands down the best and most exciting player to ever wear a Canucks jersey but everything I have seen from EP40 to date, both mentally and physically, tells me that he will very soon challenge Bure for that title.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It's pretty hard to compare the two as they play two different games. Pavel was so fast and quick compared to everyone else of that era that he literally was exciting every shift where he had an opportunity or an opening... breakaways were a common occurrence! He had a great shot and great moves in tight he was able to stick handle around players at ease at times. But he needed people to get him the puck. Elias is so smart at all aspects of the game and can score and setup guys equally. Defence is already a part of Elias' game where it was never a big part of Bure's. 

• Upvote 1

Was at the game last night so it was the first time watching Petterssen in person.

All I can say is wow. TV doesn't do him justice and doesn't show what he's doing when he doesn't have the puck.

This kid is fast and does everything at high speed. Honestly reminds me of McDavid with his speed, stride and quick & accurate release. He backchecks hard, forchecks hard, blocks shots, and always goes into the corners and front of the net...even when there's traffic. 

This kid is for real. Count me officially excited about what he'll do for this team for the next decade at least. 

My only concern right now is that he does get targeted and whacked around a bit so he'll need to bulk up and get stronger over the next couple of years or he may not last long.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I was at Pacific Coliseum for Bure's first game.  Watched his whole career.  Pavel was faster WITH the puck than without it.  He could go end to end with ease and had a great slapshot.  But he also was a great passer as well.  Overall he had it all including toughness.  Just ask Shane Churla how tough Bure was.

It will be hard for Elias to replicate what Bure did as Bure was the whole package.  But I do see greatness in him and I think Elias will become a franchise player and the best of the current Canucks players moving forward.  Will he attain Bure's level?  It's hard to say, but I do believe they have a lot of similarities.  Elias might have a better shot than Bure and more stick skill.  Bure had that blazing speed which he could do everything at that high speed.  Defensively Elias looks to be superior to Bure although Bure used to come back and did well defending on occasion.  But Elias seems to be a much better defensive player and could probably kill penalties.  Bure did a great job killing penalties as well and was always a threat to score shorthanded.  He did score a lot of shorthanded goals.

Overall I would put Elias in a similar class to Bure but only time will tell if he can match him or even better him throughout his career.  if Bure doesn't have those knee injuries he would have scored over 600 goals and had a much longer and better career so injuries will play a part in what Elias does throughout his career.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Bure was so exciting to watch. As has been said so many times, when he got the puck everyone stood up to see what was going to happen because something usually did happen. Bure was also quite a selfish player, and you didn't often see him use his speed to backcheck.

Elias might not have the rocket-like speed, but he is just as dynamic and in my opinion is a better all around player. If he can stay relatively injury free O believe that he will have a more impactful career than Pavel.

Hopefully we treat EP40 better than we treated The Russian Rocket!

54 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I dont think he has datsyuk or kane's skating ability or hands.  Not saying he's not good, just not at that level.  His game reminds me of burnaby joe more than anyone.  Maybe a little Nazzy too.  

If you don't think he has elite hands, I fear you may be watching hockey wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I watched Bure from when he was a rookie, man he was extremely exciting, but he was pretty much one dimensional. EP though, he does everything, creates plays, dangles (making other players look stupid), snipes, dekes, passes, back checks etc... so he, imo, is on a higher level than Bure. Don't get me wrong, Bure  will always be one of my favorites, but thos EP kid is a cut above. Like i mentioned in another post, I truely believe that he will be our next generational player, one that does it all.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was at Pacific Coliseum for Bure's first game.  Watched his whole career.  Pavel was faster WITH the puck than without it.  He could go end to end with ease and had a great slapshot.  But he also was a great passer as well.  Overall he had it all including toughness.  Just ask Shane Churla how tough Bure was.

It will be hard for Elias to replicate what Bure did as Bure was the whole package.  But I do see greatness in him and I think Elias will become a franchise player and the best of the current Canucks players moving forward.  Will he attain Bure's level?  It's hard to say, but I do believe they have a lot of similarities.  Elias might have a better shot than Bure and more stick skill.  Bure had that blazing speed which he could do everything at that high speed.  Defensively Elias looks to be superior to Bure although Bure used to come back and did well defending on occasion.  But Elias seems to be a much better defensive player and could probably kill penalties.  Bure did a great job killing penalties as well and was always a threat to score shorthanded.  He did score a lot of shorthanded goals.

Overall I would put Elias in a similar class to Bure but only time will tell if he can match him or even better him throughout his career.  if Bure doesn't have those knee injuries he would have scored over 600 goals and had a much longer and better career so injuries will play a part in what Elias does throughout his career.

I watched Bure his whole career also and I saw a selfish player a floater a player that only did what Pavel wanted. Elias will be a better point producer than Pavel even in todays NHL. Will he score 60. Well its too soon to say. But his I have noticed with Elias he passes to players who are in scoring positions . He thinks the game  better than Pavel ever did. Bure's speed cost him his career. Its McDavid I worry about for career injuries. Players can be too fast! Teamu Selanne had to slow down to extend his career and avoid injuries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I dont think he has datsyuk or kane's skating ability or hands.  Not saying he's not good, just not at that level.  His game reminds me of burnaby joe more than anyone.  Maybe a little Nazzy too.  

At least you validated your statement with " I don't think". His hands are off the charts. His skating is better than the above in the fact he has many speeds. And it all adds up to elusive. many feel Elias is going to slow down. Or it is not sustainable. But here is a fact he is just warming up!

• Upvote 1

I still think first year Bure was more exciting than first year EP but -

If you go look at some old Bure highlights, his circling of the O zone and deke-ing 2. 3, 4 players were enhanced by some sweet picks initiated by Linden, et al. As much as I loved Bure and hated Linden, those plays would not have made the highlight reels if it weren't for the picks set up by teammates, led by Linden.

I see EP as a faster Thomas Gradin with a Naslund-like shot. A Super Swede 40.0 - the final iteration of the classic Swedish centreman, who would never shoot to one who could shoot and pass equally well and win scoring races.

• Upvote 2