The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Haha, ya the "well I'm pretty quiet" spoke volumes. 

Pushing him into that role would ruin everything. He clearly wants to just focus on his game and I'm 100% on board with that. Give schenn an extension in the summer and slap it on him for a couple years

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Pushing him into that role would ruin everything. He clearly wants to just focus on his game and I'm 100% on board with that. Give schenn an extension in the summer and slap it on him for a couple years

Yeah I am surprised Bo would say EP, knowing he is soft spoken and that Miller is signed long term (or even Schenn if they sign him)

EP is the best player and sets an example but doubtful he would call out a floater

Naslund had teammates that were vocal leaders without the C as did Henrik

I forget if it was the TB or Pittsburg coach saying recently that his guys start practice without him even there and push themselves at practice

We don't have those kind of players on the team to make EP's  life easy and constant questions would wear on him I would think

The questions and atmosphere is a lot better on a winning team to answer

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I don't think that means he doesn't want to be captain, but rather that he's setting expectations for if he is. He won't be Trevor Linden, but more like Henrik Sedin or Markus Naslund.

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think that means he doesn't want to be captain, but rather that he's setting expectations for if he is. He won't be Trevor Linden, but more like Henrik Sedin or Markus Naslund.

I'm team no capt till 2024. Zero reason to force one of these kids to speak on behalf of why the team is trash through a retool every night when they are still working on their own games. Give EP and huggy A's now and give EP the C if he wants it once his new 8 year kicks in.

To me dealing with our media every day as a captian needs to is not a burden I'm willing to put on his shoulders just yet 

• Huggy Bear 1

On 1/27/2023 at 4:41 PM, jyu said:

He was a good coach for the team at that time.

With some support from the management and a good coaching staff, he could have done well in his second season as well.

Sad to see him go but I'm glad they didn't drag it out any longer. It was getting painful to watch.

The loss of Brad Shaw and Scott Walker as assistant coaches was huge. Replacements were not up to the task IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you want a captain that doesn't want to be captain

Edited by lmm

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm team no capt till 2024. Zero reason to force one of these kids to speak on behalf of why the team is trash through a retool every night when they are still working on their own games. Give EP and huggy A's now and give EP the C if he wants it once his new 8 year kicks in.

To me dealing with our media every day as a captian needs to is not a burden I'm willing to put on his shoulders just yet 

I don't mind this approach. I would indeed rather start with As for both players and not give the C to Petey until/if he signs an extension for at least three/four years (probably more).

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Do you feel that Naslund and Hank didn't want to be captain?

I do not believe it was their focus

I probably should have put want in italics

I think there is a big difference between accepting the responsibility of being captain

and wanting to be captain

59 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't mind this approach. I would indeed rather start with As for both players and not give the C to Petey until/if he signs an extension for at least three/four years (probably more).

I hope we throw the 10x8 at him this summer. His agent dropped the ball by saying barzal is a fair comp. So 8 year 80ish + the C eventually is the path I hope we take. Less money the better but I'd rather not drag negotiations out over less than a mill. It's not worth it to cause tension imo

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I do not believe it was their focus

I probably should have put want in italics

I think there is a big difference between accepting the responsibility of being captain

and wanting to be captain

Fair point. Do you think it's best to have a captain that specifically targets the role?

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Fair point. Do you think it's best to have a captain that specifically targets the role?

I do not

I do not believe that natural leaders seek leadership roles

One of the problems I had with Horvat was that he was touted as the next captain the day he was drafted, not his fault, but still it set the path.

I never heard him say anything like, "If the team wants me to be captain"

I think he was talking about being captain in very early interviews.

Its hard to imagine what would have happened if someone else came along and assumed the role

I don't think Bo would have accepted that very well, but you never know

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I do not

I do not believe that natural leaders seek leadership roles

One of the problems I had with Horvat was that he was touted as the next captain the day he was drafted, not his fault, but still it set the path.

I never heard him say anything like, "If the team wants me to be captain"

I think he was talking about being captain in very early interviews.

Its hard to imagine what would have happened if someone else came along and assumed the role

I don't think Bo would have accepted that very well, but you never know

Fair point. Does that mean you feel like Pettersson could be a great leader then, given his lack of zeal for captaincy?

Just now, -AJ- said:

Fair point. Does that mean you feel like Pettersson could be a great leader then, given his lack of zeal for captaincy?

there are only 3 players I see as captain material on the current Canucks

Pettersson, Hughes and Schenn

and I have never heard any of them speak about being captain at any level

6 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

What's do special about Shaw?

He has helped the Flyers drop to the bottom the league ,same as when he was here

He must have been doing something right as he was kept on as an assistant coach in St. Lo. under four different coaching changes ( Kitchen, Murray, Payne and Hitchcock).

• Like 1