The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

In addition, he should get some real consideration for the Lady Byng. Only 14 PIM. 

Indeed. Of all players with 100+ points, he has the fewest penalties and is also generally known to be a gentlemanly player. He's finished as high as 12th in years past and I would bet that he could be a finalist this year. Jack Hughes with just 6 PIM and 97 points is the likely winner though. Barkov with 8 PIM and 77 points in 67 games as well as Point with 92 points and 7 PIM are also good contenders, though the major penalty from Point might put him below Petey. After those three, you have to drop below a point-per-game to get another player with fewer penalties than Pettersson, so I'd expect the lowest he'll finish is 4th or 5th.

I am disappointed in the team and the media not making a bigger deal about the seasons that EP and Hughes have had.  After all of the crap this year with Boudreau and Horvat, it would be nice to celebrate these two much more than we have.  EP has had the 7th best season ever by a Canuck, and on a bad team.  When Bure, Henrik and Naslund put up more, they were on much better teams.  Hughes had scored 10 pts more than any Canuck d ever, other than himself.  He was also the fastest defenseman in NHL history to get to 200 assists.  Petey passed 100 pts last night and there is nothing on the Canucks page?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Will he get docked points for uttering a vulgar word on national television?  :ph34r:

Not as much as that bogus high sticking call against Calgary a couple of weeks back. What a goon Petey is -_-

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Indeed. Of all players with 100+ points, he has the fewest penalties and is also generally known to be a gentlemanly player. He's finished as high as 12th in years past and I would bet that he could be a finalist this year. Jack Hughes with just 6 PIM and 97 points is the likely winner though. Barkov with 8 PIM and 77 points in 67 games as well as Point with 92 points and 7 PIM are also good contenders, though the major penalty from Point might put him below Petey. After those three, you have to drop below a point-per-game to get another player with fewer penalties than Pettersson, so I'd expect the lowest he'll finish is 4th or 5th.

For sure. I don't think he'll win but I'm hoping he'll be a finalist because, as you said, he has the least PIM for anyone with 100+ points.

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

im a bit divided on what to think here...he should definetly continue his training with weights and strength since i think thats a big part of his progress, but as a swede im thrilled to see him play for sweden. Theres a lot of young swedes that looks up to him and wants to see him play for his country. On a positive note is that id does have a form of development playing on an international scene, u grow and evolve in a way so its not that bad.... but his continued physical training is ofc also very important to take another step....

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I'll always give Jim Benning and his team full credit for drafting EP40. There were many 2nd guessers when they did that. Hoping Petey resigns this summer. 

I remember it well....'VILARDI" "GLASS" "WHO????!!!!!!"

I called my son and he was thrilled...."I love this guy". That was all I needed to know. (He worked in a position where he had to know about this stuff so I trusted his judgement...he was right).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I'll always give Jim Benning and his team full credit for drafting EP40. There were many 2nd guessers when they did that. Hoping Petey resigns this summer. 

Benning was awful. But he did build our current core (less Hronek). And even though there are a lot of reports of how Benning wanted Glass over Petey and Trevor had to step in so the scouts got to make that pick (Petey) it's still a player drafted on Benning's watch. So he gets credit.

I see Petey as the top 200 foot center in the league. Other guys score more or are better defensively. But Petey is really good at everything. So I see a big contract: 90 million. 

If we had drafted Glass the way I'm pretty sure most of CDC wanted, this team would be in a full rebuild by now. Maybe that'd be a blessing in disguise and we'd be better off in 5 years time for it.

Jokes aside Petey deserves the Selke or at least a nomination. Marner is right up in the top of the league in takeaways which always is a key contributor to the award (104 total, 3.6 per game) and Petey and Miller both average around 2.0 takeaways per game. Hirschier sits at 2.4. Marner also has a tonne more giveaways than Petey though. Sadly his +/- isn't as amazing as the award usually calls for but when you watch Petey on the ice defensively, he's one of the best for sure. All those SHGs will probably count for something.

This award is open for the taking. Bergeron only had 58 points or something, not really enough for the award in the modern day, you still need to be a top offensive producer. I think Pavelski might be a surprise up there but really it deserves to be amongst the kids Hirschier, Marner and Pettersson. Hintz is up there too.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we had drafted Glass the way I'm pretty sure most of CDC wanted, this team would be in a full rebuild by now. Maybe that'd be a blessing in disguise and we'd be better off in 5 years time for it.

Jokes aside Petey deserves the Selke or at least a nomination. Marner is right up in the top of the league in takeaways which always is a key contributor to the award (104 total, 3.6 per game) and Petey and Miller both average around 2.0 takeaways per game. Hirschier sits at 2.4. Marner also has a tonne more giveaways than Petey though. Sadly his +/- isn't as amazing as the award usually calls for but when you watch Petey on the ice defensively, he's one of the best for sure. All those SHGs will probably count for something.

This award is open for the taking. Bergeron only had 58 points or something, not really enough for the award in the modern day, you still need to be a top offensive producer. I think Pavelski might be a surprise up there but really it deserves to be amongst the kids Hirschier, Marner and Pettersson. Hintz is up there too.

Yep, this year is probably finally the end Bergeron's insane 11 year consecutive Selke finalist streak. However, reputation always ends up playing a large part in Selke voting and I would not be at all surprised if both Kopitar and Barkov are finalists this year.

Pettersson should definitely get some consideration and I fully expect will be top 10 in voting but as a center his sub 50% faceoff win rate will hold him back from serious contention. I have a feeling Hischier is going to be the 3rd finalist. 

I hope Petey works hard on his faceoffs this offseason because it would be great to see him become a perennial contender for the Selke.

• 2 weeks later...